Any feedback on a pop toss!

GUS1

Addicted to Softballfans
Looking in to buying one of the green slowpitch pop toss to work on my hitting. Do any of you guys own one an if so what's your over all review on it.. Is it worth buying or stay way from it,

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
I bought one and hit with it several times the first week I got it. It is a great tool as far as it does do what it says it will, so if you have nobody to pitch you BP it is a quick, inexpensive way to work on mechanics. I hate hitting off a tee and liked this better. However, the game after I had used it I felt like my timing was really messed up. If you have the ability to take some live BP before your games, I don't think it will bother you at all--heck, it might not mess you up anyway. I would sell you mine cheap if I can find all the stuff that goes with it (instructions, extra spring etc...) I hit live BP much more frequently now.

GUS1

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks guys, yea I really like doing B.p as much as I can but there's times I can't get anyone to go out,an tried some batting cages but not the same, they say it's slowpitch but still seems a bit fast an the arc isn't there like live pitching, and for tee's it's the same hit over an over

DoubleOhWho

Swing what you bring
Based on my experiences, its nice to hit a moving target. But. It drops sharp. And if there is any wind it can be tough to adjust it back and forth for consistent pitches.

Addicted to Softballfans
dont get any dirt in it. only had mine a week or so before it really started to screw up.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
Based on my experiences, its nice to hit a moving target. But. It drops sharp. And if there is any wind it can be tough to adjust it back and forth for consistent pitches.

I agree it is better to hit a moving target than a stationary one. I have never use one but I do use a Wheeler Dealer and with good balls it is as good as anything for the money.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought some Jugs lite flite balls to use in my Jugs soft toss and they work great for timing and practice. They're almost as light as a golf ball so they won't break in a bat, but for getting swings it throws them much higher and more consistantly.

synergy40

Addicted to Softballfans
Not to sound like a **** but you are on a team of 12-15 guys, do live bp. Po toss and tee is not even close to someone pitching, I've had my wife pitch to me, **** a pop toss.

Ps **** you dbl <3 u.

i have a pop toss that i would be willing to get rid off....used it once and don't like going thru the motions of setting it then going back getting ready an waiting for it to toss the ball....pm me if anyone is interested...

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
How high can the WD chuck it??

Using regular 44/375's about 5-6' depending on the ball. Worth Pro-Trac and Classic M's don't work very well.

If you use the 52/275 or 52/300's you get about 6-7' with the leather covered Trumps tossing the best.

If you like more height you can use the 11" 47/525's which toss around 7'. I use those when my timing is off and I can't get to the batting cages.

Easy to set up and carry.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
as a tool to keep solo BP interesting, it's great. as your only source of practice, not so much. think of it like swinging new bats, it's not going to help your 'game swings' but it makes practice interesting and more practice always helps indirectly.

it will also depend a lot of your type of swing. it doesn't give you a lot of time, so if you're a box walker and high kicker that's not going to work.

here's 2 less than impressive videos of me using mine. i'm about 5'10" for reference, and have it set to launch the balls as far(not high) as I could get it. i'm pretty sure this was before I glued half a rubber ball to the striker thing as well. that got me another foot or so of height.

Last edited by a moderator:

RT Addict

\m/NEED MORE COWBELL\m/
This came up in a previous thread and much of the same issues were discussed. Good points both negative and positive.

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1275263&highlight=pop+toss&page=2

The short and sweet of it is:
1) It is a tool and is useful if used correctly.
2) Live BP is #1 choice, but this is a close 2nd, followed by batting tee.
3) There are some timing issues, but those can be overcome. (see post in thread above).

Hope you find the info useful and good luck.