Any interest in Evil Ball for Canada

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Thing is the Evil BP52 has been used with the most fragile of bats with out any damage. The million dollar question has become, how do we get them into the country for your use and enjoyment?

There's definitely interest up here, but typically purchases are through a friendly contact stateside or a bulk group purchase (which can sometimes devolve into a bad deal or misunderstandings). There isn't one readily available bp ball available up here - not Evil, not Worth Platinum, not Tattoo NX3 Spinner, not even Dudley TP2000s. You would think that someone could jump into this market.
Maybe most people don't bp anymore (even though by observation they really should)??

http://www.sportsfreaksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108377
http://www.sportsfreaksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108672
http://www.sportsfreaksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107554
http://www.sportsfreaksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105489

Hallsy2

Ton of interest up here. Been looking at Evil for awhile just haven't gotten any cause i don't wanna spend a ton on shipping and customs.

amace04

What's the hang up? I don't see why it should be a problem. Other than possibly having a prohibitive price point.

I think that's your problem. A case of Hot Dots shipped from Winnipeg costs $66 shipped, while a case of Evil .52 shipped to Canada is still $109 after exchange, assuming no import duties. I'm not sure about you, but $9 a ball is not a very appealing concept.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
a case of Evil .52 shipped to Canada is still $109 after exchange.
They sell for USD 45 / dozen, so around CAD 58. I'd think if they are imported for resale in Canada, the price could be pretty close to $70. If they are even a little more durable than Hot Dots, then it would be worth it.

Country469

I keep trying to give them 45 for a dozen tho and its not working. Even 50. They want my to pay for the shipping. Its like there is more to this than 45 or something.

amace04

They sell for USD 45 / dozen, so around CAD 58. I'd think if they are imported for resale in Canada, the price could be pretty close to $70. If they are even a little more durable than Hot Dots, then it would be worth it.
$44.99 Plus $40 shipping = $84.99USD, converted to CAD = $108.94 (with the lowest CAD exchange since June too!)

I didn't even factor in HST or duty, which works out to be about $8 if importing for personal use (assuming they're made in the USA, no idea where they're actually made)

So $116ish CAD for a case of 12 balls is not an economical way to get them.

Country469

in actuality a dozen BP balls is gonna be more like 60 USD shipped for most of lower 48

You can save a little buying 5-6 dozen I guess

amace04

in actuality a dozen BP balls is gonna be more like 60 USD shipped for most of lower 48

You can save a little buying 5-6 dozen I guess

Interestingly enough, it's actually more expensive to ship 6 cases of balls to a border town in the US, than to ship them to my house in Canada.

6 cases = $269.94USD, plus in my case, $23.03 MN State Tax, $3.35 County Tax and $1.68 Special Tax. Add $65 Shipping, and we're looking at $363.00 for 6 cases to the US. ($60.05 ea). Convert to CAD and it's $465. Now spend gas driving to the border, and pay HST and duty at the border, and we're up to about $550 or more. That's $91.67 per case.

Ship it to my house in Canada for $269.94 + 65 shipping = $334.94(429 CAD) plus duty (about $485 or $81 per case). Now, if I'm a business selling them, I'd want to make a profit on it to be worth the effort. Throw on 15% markup (which is basically breaking even after business expenses) and these balls cost about $95 CAD a case.

You'd need a big commercial order which freights a whole bunch up here, including brokerage for a better deal than you or I could get. Then MAYBE it's doable.

Country469

UPS is weird about their rates. I get charged $17 if I have it shipped to my own name. Business name on it, its 12.50.

Country469

And the balls aren't being made in the USA by any means either, so yeah legitimately a canadian sports equip dealer could bring a whole bunch and probably do ok I'd think, right?

amace04

And the balls aren't being made in the USA by any means either, so yeah legitimately a canadian sports equip dealer could bring a whole bunch and probably do ok I'd think, right?
Other way around, if the product you're importing is made in the US, you pay less duty than a product made elsewhere. Part of NAFTA and now USMCA. You can pretty much double the duty for the most part, and canadian taxes would still apply.

You could in theory at this posted rate, sell them for about $10 a ball and the profit margin is $1 per ball, not counting any operating expenses. For reference, Sport Check charges $9 for a hot dot. However, selling cases is out of the question unless there's a significantly better bulk deal to be had by a larger supplier.

Country469

Sorry for my ignorance on that subject.

Yeah maybe I will start having to sneak them across the border, any yall wanna do a weed for softball trade lol?

Country469

nah there is gonna be a shortage all over cuz these guys are sooper stoooked and gonna smooke it all aye

Country469

yeah yall beat us to the punch on that and I've been investing in the weed biz up there as much as I can.

smart way to go

maybe some day my archaic state will change its mind

Semmy

Addicted to Softballfans
Thing is the Evil BP52 has been used with the most fragile of bats with out any damage. The million dollar question has become, how do we get them into the country for your use and enjoyment?

@Bobby Buggs why not reach out to SIS or Home Run Sports in Canada and see if they will be interested in a few pallets?

most of us here just stockpile league balls (Grey Dots whenever possible). LMSP orders balls by the thousands, that league alone is 176 teams. Believe he orders them direct from MFG in China, they are decent balls I believe 40/375. they hit well enough, anyways. https://www.langleyslopitch.ca/