Any tips for my friend?

the kid

Addicted to Softballfans
Take mental notes of what works in bp and what has made him successful. Commonly guys get their mechanics dialed in during bp but when its a live game they just think "I'm going to smash this one!" Completely throwing everything that they worked on out the window and they go back to square one or worse. Not everyone swings the same, or has success hitting the same way. Best thing for me is to remember what got me good results and put it to use in games. It's not remembering how hard you hit that one ball that'll make you a good hitter, its remembering what you did to hit it that well and then executing it again and again.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Take mental notes of what works in bp and what has made him successful. Commonly guys get their mechanics dialed in during bp but when its a live game they just think "I'm going to smash this one!" Completely throwing everything that they worked on out the window and they go back to square one or worse. Not everyone swings the same, or has success hitting the same way. Best thing for me is to remember what got me good results and put it to use in games. It's not remembering how hard you hit that one ball that'll make you a good hitter, its remembering what you did to hit it that well and then executing it again and again.

All of this, especially the bold.

MH785

Addicted to Softballfans
"YOUR FRIEND" is most likely taking his eye off the ball --- whenever you are concentrating on place hitting, or jacking one, or whatever else, you're more likely to take your eye off the ball when you start your swing, looking away toward your intended location...

The reason guys hit better in BP is because they're not trying to do something specific with the pitch --- they're just concentrating on making contact....

While Tee Work can help if you have some screwy swing, it won't help in keeping your eye on the pitched ball... even more BP may not be helpful as 'he' is making the game situation different from BP...

Tell "him" to keep his eye on the ball right thru the swing...

%%%

This^ simplified, keep eye on ball through the swing, let the rest come naturally.

Keep your eye on the ball. Stop trying to see where it goes; watch it hit the bat, then run. When I go through slumps this is most often my issue.

Last edited:

BigDann17

Addicted to Softballfans
I say pick up a PST and use it for batting practice. Get the short shell version. You have an 11" barrel, and even less of a sweet spot. I found when I was always swinging PSTs I hit better and was more consistent because when I was swinging them I knew I really had to focus to hit the small shell; I was always really careful bc anything too close and you were hitting the taper and getting a taper dent. This carried over to games as well. When I switched to composites I gradually started to get a little lazier because of the massive barrels. The PST really help you hone down on focusing on the ball the entire time and squaring it up. I'll do this now and then switch over to my comps at the end of BP to get the feel back.
Just a thought but I know it helps me.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
What comp are you swinging? PST screwed me up on the sweetspot location for my comps. I'm a fan of bp with something similar to your gamer.

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
Thanks for all the advice fellas. I think head on the ball could be a biggie, as well as the thinking too much at the plate. I'll try the singing in my head next AB.....I mean I'll tell Mr. Deer to sing in his head. :rolleyes:

Tee work isn't a problem. I hit off the tee often and usually very consistent with it. Timing might be a big issue tho because when I am going bad, everything is fisted or off the taper. Some days I can do no wrong and I hit the ball as hard as I can seemingly almost anywhere I want, then other days I can't buy a well struck ball. I'm not the type to let a bad AB get in my head, I shake it off and try to get ready for the next one but I'm either awesome or I suck. If I was more consistent I could certainly play at higher levels, which is the goal before I get too old haha.

If any of you need me, I'll be at the park working on some things........thanks again everyone. It is a repetitve thread, but it was helpful for me.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
If that doesn't work come back and we will tell you...err your friend what songs to sing.

uniballer

Addicted to Softballfans
I love to see threads like this on here. Way to many useless rants and bitching posts when we need more productive one like this. All the tips on here and good because they keep you thinking and trying to get better.
You have heard the phrase "paralization through over rationalation" or what I like to call Albert Einstein syndrome. This is a big problem many times when hitting or in lots of other aspects in sports. Over thinking at game time is never good....the thinking and experimenting is done during practice. Tee work, cage work, live bp is where you find your swing you want then repeat it thousands of times. then when game time comes muscle memory takes over and no need to think so much. I'm older and have done everything from hitting basketballs and downing dead trees with a heavy axe for power to hitting marshmallows at squares made from tape on the wall for aim, and the list goes on and on and can tell you this. It all helps! And what I have found is that all these things help mostly from the confidence you get. If you have that and the muscle memory going for you there is no need to think at the plate. Oh, and one more thing...smile alot and enjoy playing every game cause there are lots of kids and adults sitting in hospitals fighting for their life's right now that would love to be on the fields going 0 for 10 instead :D

strength

Extra Hitter
First I would tell him to hit it where it is pitched. Dont try to do anything but hit it hard; where it goes is where it goes. This game is mental and if psychs himself into thinking I gotta hit a bomb I gotta hit a bomb etc., chances are he isnt. Use the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid).

See it, hit it!!!

this....

Tell him to just make Solid contact and to swing hard.

Does he change his grips or mess with his stance in between games? Are his mechanics different on the bad games vs the good games?

kruky

Manager
I had that problem last year. I did a few BP with a T and it solved my problem. I started good this year but eventually the problem started again. I haven't time to hit with a T this year so it pretty much went on all season. So I would have to say that T practice works wonders.

animal_house

The Veteran
I love to see threads like this on here. Way to many useless rants and bitching posts when we need more productive one like this. All the tips on here and good because they keep you thinking and trying to get better.
You have heard the phrase "paralization through over rationalation" or what I like to call Albert Einstein syndrome. This is a big problem many times when hitting or in lots of other aspects in sports. Over thinking at game time is never good....the thinking and experimenting is done during practice. Tee work, cage work, live bp is where you find your swing you want then repeat it thousands of times. then when game time comes muscle memory takes over and no need to think so much. I'm older and have done everything from hitting basketballs and downing dead trees with a heavy axe for power to hitting marshmallows at squares made from tape on the wall for aim, and the list goes on and on and can tell you this. It all helps! And what I have found is that all these things help mostly from the confidence you get. If you have that and the muscle memory going for you there is no need to think at the plate. Oh, and one more thing...smile alot and enjoy playing every game cause there are lots of kids and adults sitting in hospitals fighting for their life's right now that would love to be on the fields going 0 for 10 instead :D

Well said brother!

CAJones17

Addicted to Softballfans
The rose goes in front, just relax and hit the ball hard, for me when i try to get a hit because i have not got one in a while,, my chance seem to go down.

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
this....

Tell him to just make Solid contact and to swing hard.

Does he change his grips or mess with his stance in between games? Are his mechanics different on the bad games vs the good games?

No, I never mess with anything during games. I just try to get as comfortable in the box as I can. (my friend is me lol)

From everything I've been reading, it sounds like a Monsta 98 would fix everything.

Sure sounds like it haha, can't wait to get my hands on one and tell everyone why Easton is still better for ASA haha.

HrBump13

Addicted to Softballfans
No, I never mess with anything during games. I just try to get as comfortable in the box as I can. (my friend is me lol)

Dangit Lucky! I was going to tell you to get a new friend. Mr. Deer is only going to drag you down to being a rec level player or kickball wannbe @ best. Now that the cat is outta the bag, (where all cats should stay), you're gonna have to listen to the already given advice to get your game back on track. Listen, I was struggling for a while this last season & found that I was gripping the bat waaay too tight even though I did not think it was an issue. Therefore my swing was not loose, producing no whip. I swung a teammate's bat w/ a grip n rip on it & my season changed immediately. I swing w/ an overlap grip. So I bought some for my bats. Now when @ the plate, I hold my hands very loose, even wiggle them a little while waiting for the pitch. During the swing I get awesome bat whip & seeds happen more often than not. Good luck buddy. I hope you get this worked out.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Been my limited experience.............In my 28 years of playing softball...........That most of the time, consistency problems come from too much hand movement. A guy will hammer the ball one game and then the next game, they want to go further or hit harder. Then they start getting too much hand movement. They either start to jerk them back, get too much bat wrap or drop them in an effort to get under the ball or get just a little bit more "Oooooomphf" into their swing. Then they hit like ass....So, they decide, "I'm just going to get back to good solid contact and go from there...." Then they hit the crap out of the ball again. Until.....You guessed it.....The next game when they try to farther or harder than last time. It's a cycle some of your not so smart hitters go through a lot.

The fact is that a good hitter, with good power doesn't have to do anything extra to get the ball out of a 300' field or slam liners in the gap hard. All they have to do is put a good swing on the ball and not try to reef up and go a mile. Fire your hands from a good position, with good speed on good plane and it'll go.....Good luck to Mr. Deer. :)

uniballer

Addicted to Softballfans
Been my limited experience.............In my 28 years of playing softball...........That most of the time, consistency problems come from too much hand movement. A guy will hammer the ball one game and then the next game, they want to go further or hit harder. Then they start getting too much hand movement. They either start to jerk them back, get too much bat wrap or drop them in an effort to get under the ball or get just a little bit more "Oooooomphf" into their swing. Then they hit like ass....So, they decide, "I'm just going to get back to good solid contact and go from there...." Then they hit the crap out of the ball again. Until.....You guessed it.....The next game when they try to farther or harder than last time. It's a cycle some of your not so smart hitters go through a lot.

The fact is that a good hitter, with good power doesn't have to do anything extra to get the ball out of a 300' field or slam liners in the gap hard. All they have to do is put a good swing on the ball and not try to reef up and go a mile. Fire your hands from a good position, with good speed on good plane and it'll go.....Good luck to Mr. Deer. :)

Read this one again boys. This is one of the biggest problems I see as well, and had issues with this alot when I was younger. Also like HrBump13 said....loosen that grip up and get that extra bat lag going :D

I'd get him 2 beers before every game. It will give him the right amount of alcohol in his blood to slow his breathing and heighten his concentration. Relaxing at the plate will go a long way.

NRowl

Manager
"YOUR FRIEND" is most likely taking his eye off the ball --- whenever you are concentrating on place hitting, or jacking one, or whatever else, you're more likely to take your eye off the ball when you start your swing, looking away toward your intended location...

The reason guys hit better in BP is because they're not trying to do something specific with the pitch --- they're just concentrating on making contact....

While Tee Work can help if you have some screwy swing, it won't help in keeping your eye on the pitched ball... even more BP may not be helpful as 'he' is making the game situation different from BP...

Tell "him" to keep his eye on the ball right thru the swing...

%%%

That would be my guess too.