Anyone build there own BP pitching screen ?

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
Who here has built there own out of anything other than PVC?
Not that PVC is bad, but if I use PVC it'll be schedule 80 or conduit PVC.
As these seem stronger or more durable if they get hit.
I know you can spend $2-300 on a jugs or pitch safe but I have some netting already.
I was looking at emt conduit around 3/4, 1" or even 1-3/8" metal fence top tubing.
Emt has some nice 90* bends for the corners for each size they make.
Fence post style has none but a 90* coupling.
I will have to weld the emt stuff and possibly the fence stuff.
Every piece I buy adds up on fittings. Welding is cheaper as I have a mig setup.
I'm thinking this stuff may cost under $50 to do.
1" x10' conduit is $6
90* $4
1-3/8" x10' fence post is $10
Need rope to tie net onto post $5-10

What size to make it? 3' wide x 7' tall or 3.5' wide and 6.5' tall?

Last edited:

Glitch

Starting Player
Never made one myself, but have seen plenty of them.

Easiest thing to do is get some steel square tubing and build something similar to this:
q8IRDRu.jpg

I also highly suggest putting wheels on the bottom of one side like this:
iIC9i7E.jpg

After you have your frame welding together, you can easily ziptie your netting in it, or get some old chainlink fence and weld it to the frame.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
I do have some square metal like the one you posted but its a little short on height that we've been using but it's heavy as I used 4x4 wood as the footing to keep it upright. It's right under 6' tall.
I can possibly reuse that metal frame and fix it up better and make it a little lighter by cutting excess metal off of it.
Wheels are nice and I thought about that, but only if its very heavy but may still be good even if light.
I don't really wanna use chain link fence as it'll make it heavy but still a cheap idea.
you can buy a pre made 3.5' x 6' tall fence gate with chain link in it for around $75. It's not real heavy but not light.
You would just need to make some footing on the bottom of it to hold it up.
Good info though glitch

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
How portable are you looking for? Conduit is not light stuff. Cyclone fencing is all but unportable. Inportable? Inportable's not a word but not sure if unportable is either. Not portable.

Anyway it shouldn't be too hard to keep things semi portable unless you have a small car.

I wouldn't go smaller than 4'×6', but you may be skinnier than I am.

I have mine all planned out in PVC with pipe insulation for protection. Most expensive piece is actually the ratcheting PVC cutter. Just waiting for the Bay dude down south to let me know what netting he thinks is best. I have shower curtain rings, 3" binder rings, and zip ties to connect the net. Slide them over the pipe similar to the way the net hangs off the pitchsafe.

Also I'm jealous. What kind of mig welder?

MN03

Addicted to Softballfans
A buddy of mine and myself made a pitching screen two years ago. Used 3/4 conduit and connectors. We had a screen we used to throw over it and used 2x6s for the feet. It worked out ok. Stopped everything we hit at it. But the problem was we needed a truck to get it to the field. And only one person on the team owns a truck. And it was just to awkward and heavy to want to use it every time we bp. So last year a few of us got some money together to buy a Jugs Sports Lite-Flite Slowpitch Screen. Cost about $160 and found one with free shipping. Best investment we've made in a while I believe. So if you can afford it I'd get the jugs. But if not. It is possible to make a decent screen yourself.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
Yeah ill post some pics of what route I go or even if I redo the old setup I have.

Does anyone actually know if certain netting really make that much of a difference?
I got this net from a friend who got it off of a fishing boat.
It did stink for a while but I wanted it and let it sit outside and now its all good.
It has taken every shot we have hit at it and no signs of any failure.

I'd like to have it break down, but I have a truck to haul it in so I think I'm gona make it permanent one.
I was just gona make the footing detachable if possible and store it inside since it'll be flat. But.....
If I can get the pipes to slide over each other I can make it portable then and set it up at the field.
I like that ring idea you are using and I didn't think of that idea but that's perfect for portability.

I have an older century & Hobart both running gas. Hobart runs on 220 and is smooth....
Now I haven't migd in a long time so I am sure the welds will suck bad but should hold.
Guess I better invest in some grinding discs to hide the gorilla welds ill make..... Haha

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
Mn03, exactly which one did you all buy?
I hate to say it, but I don't think anyone will pitch in on a screen.
I hit middle and so do a few others, it only takes one time to hurt someone and we don't want that.
So I figured I'd use my own money, time and unskilled skills to make something.

GrinningBear

There are two guys on the bay that sell good netting. Some of it is thinner but comes big enough to double or even triple up. Some of the stuff people sell as fishing net is decorative and will not stop a ball. Hard to tell on a small pic in an ad. If yours stinks I'm thinking it wasn't decorative.

Hobarts have been decent since Miller took over but the older ones and the 220 are invincible. Godzilla could breathe right on that thing and have no effect. As long as you had a big enough clamp.

MN03

Addicted to Softballfans
Mn03, exactly which one did you all buy?
I hate to say it, but I don't think anyone will pitch in on a screen.
I hit middle and so do a few others, it only takes one time to hurt someone and we don't want that.
So I figured I'd use my own money, time and unskilled skills to make something.

Google Jugs Lite-Flite Slowpitch Screen. If you do purchase one make it's the entire screen with poles and everything. The ones you see for around 90 bucks are just the netting and doesn't come with the poles.

One of our guys on our team got hit in the face during bp. Got 6 stitches or so. So that's why we made our first screen. But after that we found this is a better option since it breaks down and comes with a carrying case.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
The net I have has been very durable and I did wash it and set it out to dry years back.
I'm thinking I lucked out on this free net.
My century is pretty old and the Hobart idk but its the 210 one.

Portability is always the best way but peeps pitching in may not happen.
I think they'd rather take a chance at getting hit than being safe.
I need to sit down and think about this n that now.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
Also, should the net be tight or loose?
I've done mine loose so it doesn't spring back at the hitter but what do you all think?

BigLefty33

Addicted to Softballfans
If the net is loose the pitcher can still get drilled if he's too close to the screen. The ball will reach him before the slack is taken up. We string ours tight and let the batter take his chances!

SYNERGY2

Manager
I made one using chainlink fence top rail. It is about 1-1/4" in diameter and comes in 10 foot lengths. I cut 8 3 foot sections, of which 2 sections connect together to make up each side (left, right, top, bottom).

For the corners, they make a 90 degree connector that are tightened via nut and bolt. I replaced the hex nut with a wing nut so you do not need any tools for assembly.

For the net, we ordered a net online that is more or less like a bag that ultimately slips over the frame.

All in all it cost around $130 to make and breaks down to fit into a camping chair bag.

This has taken some direct hits in both baseball and softball with no issue.

I will take a few pics once we get out for BP. The pics I had were on an old phone.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
Let's see them pics.....
I was looking at that top fence post also. It's $9 a 10' stick here.
I was thinking the same way you are on portability for it.

SYNERGY2

Manager
Hpefully this weekend, it's been pretty wet here.

The top rail works awesome. They make couplers for them so each side of the frame is 2 3' pieces held by the coupler.

Works great.

GrinningBear

A lot of the high end retail screens have quite a bit of slack on the net. You're supposed to stand 2' behind the Pitchsafe.

Unsure why this would be considered dangerous to the pitcher. Most people just slide the screen forward 2-1/2 feet.

BLACK DEATH

RED DEATH now
Yeah that's what I do, I put it 2-3' in front of me.
Having the net loose only makes the ball come towards 6" or maybe a little more

Tolly

Who here has built there own out of anything other than PVC?
Not that PVC is bad, but if I use PVC it'll be schedule 80 or conduit PVC.
As these seem stronger or more durable if they get hit.
I know you can spend $2-300 on a jugs or pitch safe but I have some netting already.
I was looking at emt conduit around 3/4, 1" or even 1-3/8" metal fence top tubing.
Emt has some nice 90* bends for the corners for each size they make.
Fence post style has none but a 90* coupling.
I will have to weld the emt stuff and possibly the fence stuff.
Every piece I buy adds up on fittings. Welding is cheaper as I have a mig setup.
I'm thinking this stuff may cost under $50 to do.
1" x10' conduit is $6
90* $4
1-3/8" x10' fence post is $10
Need rope to tie net onto post $5-10

What size to make it? 3' wide x 7' tall or 3.5' wide and 6.5' tall?
I wouldn't go smaller than 4'×6',
o.png

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
IMG-20120429-00152.jpg

IMG-20120429-00153.jpg

threaded steel pipes from the home depot and net I got off ebay. Has held up for dozens of rounds with no issues

2715.gif

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
Not on a scale. I had it in a canvas bag that those foldup launch chairs came in for a while but it didn't last long. It's now in a heavier duty bag. I'd say the whole thing weighs maybe 40lbs give or take. Heavy enough to stand up but not so much that you can't carry it. Pieces are 3" each so it fits in a trunk or back seat no problem. Set up and take down are maybe 5 minutes.

I had tried a few variations with the netting but ended up going with a pocket that slipped over. Loose enough to stop the balls. Pitch can stand 2-3 feet behind it and be safe. Unless they leave the side of their body hanging out, which a lot of people like to do. lol