Anyone catching flack for the disc rattling?

-Six-

Weiner
Is a rattle enough to send a bat in for a warranty return? or you just worried that the replacement bat will start rattling pretty fast as well?

my rattle was slight, but if you picked the bat up to check for a sound like some of the better umpires do when checking bats. It was there. Not noticeable during after a swing. Buddy who got a dba after swinging mine has a very loud and pronounced clunk that you can hear on dropping the bat to the ground lol.

The umpire issue here isn't enough of an issue to warrant an early return to manufacture. My bat is starting to shark tooth now so that will get it tossed out as well im sure if it gets noticed. Just waiting to break it then ill send it in. Hitting like omg right now though.

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
my rattle was slight, but if you picked the bat up to check for a sound like some of the better umpires do when checking bats. It was there. Not noticeable during after a swing. Buddy who got a dba after swinging mine has a very loud and pronounced clunk that you can hear on dropping the bat to the ground lol.

The umpire issue here isn't enough of an issue to warrant an early return to manufacture. My bat is starting to shark tooth now so that will get it tossed out as well im sure if it gets noticed. Just waiting to break it then ill send it in. Hitting like omg right now though.

This is what I have going on right now with my approx 700 hit DBA. Have a guy on my team that is like 6-5 300 pounds and he hit the furthest ball I have ever seen last night. The rattle is ridiculous. Every time it hits the ground I expect the umpire to take it away.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
i don't think it helps that the bat sounds like any other brand of bat cracked to crap.

*crack*

drop bat

*rattle rattle rattle*

this bat is broken.

Haven't had that issue with my new Combats, but have in the past with my Xeno and Z1000...

usmcluberti

Banned User
I wish I could've shared my asa wanted noises with you all before it broke...loudest rattling/thudding/shaking bat I've ever heard. If it was dropped from one foot off the ground, it sounded like two people swinging bats full speed into fence posts lol

ATL Rookie

Manager
My DBA has a couple BB's rolling around inside the barrel and the disks are knocking all over the place. Damn thing sounds like a rolling junk yard. Hits almost as well as my 1200 swing Wanted though.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
tonight my brother smoked a ball that chingalinged off the fence and the pitcher, a guy i know well, was like "get that bat out of here, its broke".

i was like, it aint' broke, its a combat. you wanna hit it?

he just shook his head. ump didn't shake it but looked at it and let it play.

cripes.

better find another one just in case.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
well a few more weeks of swings on it and the crack it makes when it hits a all is like a branch being snapped in half and the disc MAY be nearly totally lose.

last night a guy goes, "that bat is finished ump it has to be cracked somewhere" ump picked it up didn't shake it and goes, just rolled the barrell in his hand looked at it and said, theres no crack anywhere on this thing...he came over and looked at it and the 3rd baseman was like LETS GET ONE OF THOSE

2 j3a's on their rack :D

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I had mine questioned at state last weekend. Umps brought it to someone, not sure who. I was adamant with them that its just the disc and not to worry. Thankfully the powers that be allowed it. Whew!

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!
wdwlodge texted me yesterday saying that his sounds like a morocca and asked if that would constitute a return from Combat.

cjrg

Warning track power
My DBU now sounds like it has a large rock inside of it, only 150 or so swings on it. The sound has changed and it still kill's the ball so I'm going to swing it until they tell me to stop.

wdwlodge

Addicted to Softballfans
wdwlodge texted me yesterday saying that his sounds like a morocca and asked if that would constitute a return from Combat.

I was pretty shocked that the bat never got tossed at the tourney we were at. Not only does it sound like a morocca but it has a very loud pinging sound when it hits the ground. I missed out on a triple one at bat because coming out of the box I was taking my time trying to set the bat on the ground to avoid the ump hearing the pinging.

There are 5 guys on the team using my DBA right now and we getting some amazing distance and exit speed off the bat. Our 2B who has been swinging his Z2K all season just bought a DBA after we got back from the tourney.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
mine did a 900-950 on the compression test for state. then he shook it and started laughing and handed it back to me. he said my dirty (nearly new) was the only combat he'd passed so far and it was in the pink.

regardless of the bat they were taking them all to 1500 because we were still using the 44 balls.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
That doesn't sound right. The preload is because of the bats construction; not the ball you're using. Whomever was testing was handicapping the new bats and making it nearly impossible for them to pass... which is crap, IMO.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
Exactly ND-

Unless the disc came loose inside the barrel, they should pass compression fine. That's why the compression disc is there. If it comes back way too hot, they probably tested it incorrectly.

Steve99

Addicted to Softballfans
Mine failed at ASA states here in PA. They preloaded it to 500 and only made it to 1100. Not sure how many swings I have on it but it's a decent abount and my disc is gone. Sounds like a couple of nuts are rolling around in there.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Yeah, like Saint mentioned if the disc comes loose and breaks free then it probably won't pass. The disc is what keeps it legal, essentially.

wdwlodge

Addicted to Softballfans
Will, I wonder if this is what happened to yours. I wonder if that disc came completely loose in your DBA.

This could be what happened. It just sound like a few BB's rolling around inside and the pinging when it hit the ground.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
That doesn't sound right. The preload is because of the bats construction; not the ball you're using. Whomever was testing was handicapping the new bats and making it nearly impossible for them to pass... which is crap, IMO.

nearly every new easton passed. i didn't have a problem with the ball thing. the new demos/combats/LS are some of the hottest asa bats i've ever swung so i know they are hot but try explaining all of this to silver bearded beer gutted umpires.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
Yeah, like Saint mentioned if the disc comes loose and breaks free then it probably won't pass. The disc is what keeps it legal, essentially.

mine is rattliing hard and may be dislodged but its not moving up and down the barrell yet.

Steve99

Addicted to Softballfans

Mine failed before the disc actually came apart. It had the normal disc rattle when it failed. I let a buddy use it in a league game and that's when the disc shattered.

squeakslang3

offically unofficial
we didnt submit alot of bats for testing because their version of testing was running a hand over the barrell to checks for cracks and they shook it to check for rattles. no comp testing was done for state tourney. kind of interesting....

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Mine failed before the disc actually came apart. It had the normal disc rattle when it failed. I let a buddy use it in a league game and that's when the disc shattered.

Wow. That's surprising. The testing methods not repeatable or reproducable. If a new bat fails compression, I recommend getting it tested again later. Good chance it'll pass.

Steve99

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow. That's surprising. The testing methods not repeatable or reproducable. If a new bat fails compression, I recommend getting it tested again later. Good chance it'll pass.

I was really on the fence about getting it tested because I was pretty sure it was going to fail. It was just ridiculous. But I figured what the heck. He did only test one side but he said that it didn't matter. If it fails on any side the bat is not allowed to be used.

KSsbplayer

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a this bat and love it. Mine has over 1000 swings on it with 44 400 balls and even some 44 525 evil balls. not many swings with the evils because I know it will destroy the bay but it is pretty much a homer if you get an evil elevated with the bat. I have been lucky that my compression disk has not come loose yet. However when the bat hits the ground it has a pretty good vibration to it. Does this mean that the bat is about break or that it is getting really hot? I got a good deal on it so if it breaks not going to be upset plus its under warranty still. How many hits do you think are left on this bat and should I try to get rid of it.

Update:

My Derby Boys is no longer. It never did get the famous rattle, but it did break in two pieces. It started with a small crack and kept hitting with it and the ball was smoking off the bat and then it finally cracked clear through to where part of the barrel was hanging off. Was a great bat and had a great life.

Last edited: