Anyone else do this?

Mongo23

Manager
I played in a coed tourney this past weekend and got pissed at the other teams pitcher and I want to know if this happens a lot elsewhere.

My team was 0-2 on the day and losing this game to the team that was going to win our pool. The other team was crying all game about balls and strikes, complaining about calls in the field, and one guy almost got tossed when the ump called him out for being out of the box when he hit the ball. But in the 3rd our pitcher gets up (65 year old guy, absolute epitomy of a punch and judy hitter) hits a weak roller back to their pitcher. P picks the ball up and jogs over to tag first unassisted. Seems bush to just try to show up a guy like that... we exchanged some words but that was it. I didn't want to start a middle war as our P is old with slower reflexes.

My question is, why bother doing that at all? I know their 1B was pretty good so he could have just tossed the ball over for the easy out. Does this happen a lot, are people just such d-bags?

BTW, after that we ended up getting the W. Didn't matter since they advanced and we were going home but it just felt good to beat them.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, these people are all throughout life. Given that athletic endeavors amplify whatever personality someone has, you can expect to find a higher percentage of bad attitudes and attempts at being alpha all throughout softball.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
i've seen it happen. i dont let **** like that get me mad tho. cause it's softball. it was a head game the pitcher was playing and it worked on you because you are mentally weak.

Dogue

Evil Genius
If the ball was hit to the 1st base side, or it was the last out and their dugout is on the first base side it makes some sense. I'd be more pissed if I was playing 1st on his team, cause it seems more like a trust issue to me.

BlindEarth

Addicted to Softballfans
Playing third, I had a batter hit a one hopper right to me with nobody on. He didn't run it out and as there were two outs I ran across the field and took it myself. This guy and his whole team were ready to fight over this for some reason. And here is my logic, which completely trumps the emotional response these guys had: Your not running, there is still a chance I can throw the ball away as I am not a professional, running across the field while you stand there gets me the out 100% of the time, throwing the ball across the field does not. I guess I could roll it to mitigate against the chances of throwing it away but I would imagine that would get me the same angry response.

In short, I wasn't showing anyone up, I was just making sure of the out. I cannot say their pitcher was doing the same, but why should he throw it when he could take the play easily himself? Of all the things people do on the field, for whatever reason I can live with this one.

Mongo23

Manager
Playing third, I had a batter hit a one hopper right to me with nobody on. He didn't run it out and as there were two outs I ran across the field and took it myself. This guy and his whole team were ready to fight over this for some reason. And here is my logic, which completely trumps the emotional response these guys had: Your not running, there is still a chance I can throw the ball away as I am not a professional, running across the field while you stand there gets me the out 100% of the time, throwing the ball across the field does not. I guess I could roll it to mitigate against the chances of throwing it away but I would imagine that would get me the same angry response.

In short, I wasn't showing anyone up, I was just making sure of the out. I cannot say their pitcher was doing the same, but why should he throw it when he could take the play easily himself? Of all the things people do on the field, for whatever reason I can live with this one.

I would have been less upset if it were the 3rd out of the inning and your bench were on that side of the field. But this was the 1st out of the inning and my batter was running (albeit very slowly.) I think this was just a **** move by a guy on a team that takes softball way too seriously.

I look at it the same as the 1B we played against a few years ago that would field a ball to him but instead of stepping on the bag he would wait for you to get close then slap the bag with his glove. Both just seem bush.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Wow you are a perfect example of what is wrong with softball. You are playing Coed softball, this is not the major leagues. Other than you being butthurt cause you were 0-2, I see no reason to give a **** if the opposing pitcher tags the batter instead of throwing to first, he took the out in the way he thought would be easiest. If you are willing to get into a verbal altercation over something this small, you are the problem. You said you didn't want to start a middle war because your pitcher is old and didn't have great reflexes, so if you had a young guy pitching this would normally be a great reason to start a middle war in coed? :rolleyes: Let me guess you play outfield? Its amazing, the dbags who think middle shots are the answer to some tiny injustice of softball etiquette are always the ones who play the farthest from home plate.

Sure the other team is being a bunch of whiny bitches crying about calls but you are just as bad or worse.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow you are a perfect example of what is wrong with softball. You are playing Coed softball, this is not the major leagues. Other than you being butthurt cause you were 0-2, I see no reason to give a **** if the opposing pitcher tags the batter instead of throwing to first, he took the out in the way he thought would be easiest. If you are willing to get into a verbal altercation over something this small, you are the problem. You said you didn't want to start a middle war because your pitcher is old and didn't have great reflexes, so if you had a young guy pitching this would normally be a great reason to start a middle war in coed? :rolleyes: Let me guess you play outfield? Its amazing, the dbags who think middle shots are the answer to some tiny injustice of softball etiquette are always the ones who play the farthest from home plate.

Sure the other team is being a bunch of whiny bitches crying about calls but you are just as bad or worse.

The guys that start middle wars over small things are probably the same dudes that were head hunters in football or pitchers that threw at batters in HS.

B~TOWN

Addicted to Softballfans
I just don't see the problem with it no big deal not sure why someone would feel a need to exchange words to me that to me it's no better than guys whining about "bad" calls .

Mongo23

Manager

No one is butthurt because we were 0-2, like you said it's coed... I play coed for the fun of it. I ask because I've never seen a guy go out of his way to show someone up. Don't give me this "it's the easiest out" crap... its a 40 foot underhanded toss to 1B.

I say I "didn't want to start a middle war" meaning I told my team to drop it after words were exchanged. I don't want anyone shooting middle intentionally because that's stupid, because our pitcher is old w poor reflexes and he is going to get hurt. And I play 3b, 1b, and P... good guess though. You sound like another keyboard tough guy all upset about nothing. But whatever apparently this is more common than not in the game... which is why I asked.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
the pitcher was sending you a message. you got it loud and clear. if it made you mad, then you got issues girlfriend

MichelleG

Addicted to Softballfans
I played in a coed tourney this past weekend and got pissed at the other teams pitcher and I want to know if this happens a lot elsewhere.

My team was 0-2 on the day and losing this game to the team that was going to win our pool. The other team was crying all game about balls and strikes, complaining about calls in the field, and one guy almost got tossed when the ump called him out for being out of the box when he hit the ball. But in the 3rd our pitcher gets up (65 year old guy, absolute epitomy of a punch and judy hitter) hits a weak roller back to their pitcher. P picks the ball up and jogs over to tag first unassisted. Seems bush to just try to show up a guy like that... we exchanged some words but that was it. I didn't want to start a middle war as our P is old with slower reflexes.

My question is, why bother doing that at all? I know their 1B was pretty good so he could have just tossed the ball over for the easy out. Does this happen a lot, are people just such d-bags?

BTW, after that we ended up getting the W. Didn't matter since they advanced and we were going home but it just felt good to beat them.

If you think something as inconsequential as this is douchbaggery you haven't been playing coed softball very long.

kjlee85

If your runner runs it out or even a half assed effort at jogging it out this probably won't be a problem.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
No one is butthurt because we were 0-2, like you said it's coed... I play coed for the fun of it. I ask because I've never seen a guy go out of his way to show someone up. Don't give me this "it's the easiest out" crap... its a 40 foot underhanded toss to 1B.

I say I "didn't want to start a middle war" meaning I told my team to drop it after words were exchanged. I don't want anyone shooting middle intentionally because that's stupid, because our pitcher is old w poor reflexes and he is going to get hurt. And I play 3b, 1b, and P... good guess though. You sound like another keyboard tough guy all upset about nothing. But whatever apparently this is more common than not in the game... which is why I asked.

This made me lol coming from a guy who thought getting into a verbal altercation is the correct reaction to tagging out a batter. If you are such a badass why not start your middle war and go pitch yourself?

TRaj2327

Similar situation with a DB pitcher....

We were playing GSL Worlds in Columbus against a team and the pitcher was the only one chirping and was antagonizing form the get-go. Our fastest guy hit a chopper to him and he decided to roll it to first and ALMOST beats it out.

Game goes on and he continues chirping. He came up to bat and with a 3-1 count threw his hand up at the pitcher like he was calling time. Our pitcher froze and eventually blew it off and delivered the ball after he did it a couple times. He basically was trying to get our guy to hold the ball for more than 5 seconds to draw the walk.

Game continues...our big lefty comes up and gets in the same situation...3-1 count and throws his hand out like he was calling time. Pitch says, "that doesn't work on me" and grooves a strike. Very next pitch, meatball that our guys sends head high straight through the box nearly planting the dudes face in the CF fence. It was epic. He shut up real quick after that.

Yep....cool story bro.

Begs

Addicted to Softballfans

We were playing GSL Worlds in Columbus against a team and the pitcher was the only one chirping and was antagonizing form the get-go. Our fastest guy hit a chopper to him and he decided to roll it to first and ALMOST beats it out.

Game goes on and he continues chirping. He came up to bat and with a 3-1 count threw his hand up at the pitcher like he was calling time. Our pitcher froze and eventually blew it off and delivered the ball after he did it a couple times. He basically was trying to get our guy to hold the ball for more than 5 seconds to draw the walk.

Game continues...our big lefty comes up and gets in the same situation...3-1 count and throws his hand out like he was calling time. Pitch says, "that doesn't work on me" and grooves a strike. Very next pitch, meatball that our guys sends head high straight through the box nearly planting the dudes face in the CF fence. It was epic. He shut up real quick after that.

Yep....cool story bro.

'Big Lefty' he sounds ***y....

BeagleHound24

Starting Player

Yep....cool story bro.

^^ thats a DB pitcher as described ^^