are you more likely to buy a new bat to use or collect?

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
serious question, i mean many of us have way more bats than we'd ever intend to use in a game, and we have one reason or another to justify why we do it.

i for example used to try a 'gamer/backup/trial' rule for each league. i was only allowed to have 3 bats, one that fit each of those roles.

anyway, as my 'collection' has matured, i'm finding that i'm no longer interested in trying to find a 'better bat'. i feel like if the last 30 i tried weren't any better, then the next 30 i try probably won't be either, so i've found myself more interested in trying rare bats, if for no other reason to have an experienced opinion when somebody asks about it.

i bought a 1B juggy almost 2yrs ago that hasn't seen a single game swing. i had a couple RD28's, i tried to buy a titanium bat but the seller kinda blew me off, and i've had like 7 difference senior/outlaw bats just for kicks n giggles.

just curious if i'm going crazy, or there's other out there with me.

so the question is, forgetting the whole new stamps and old bats being banned BS, and assuming you've got a gamer that you like currently. would you be more likely to spend money on a unique bat you can't even use in games, or keep hunting for a new gamer?

phoenix26

<font color="#228B22">SBF Fund Donor</font>
I have way more than I need. Probably around 70-75 right now.
A lot of them I swing but some have been sitting awhile.

Sometimes I come across a deal that's too good to pass up and
I jump on it. Black/orange Craze a couple of months ago for $28.00
off the bay. Didn't need it at all but, at that price, had to.

cyoung187

Coach
I have way more than I need. Probably around 70-75 right now.
A lot of them I swing but some have been sitting awhile.

Sometimes I come across a deal that's too good to pass up and
I jump on it. Black/orange Craze a couple of months ago for $28.00
off the bay. Didn't need it at all but, at that price, had to.

I have much more then I need as well. Sometimes you just see a great deal either on here or some great closeout and I jump on it. I love trying new stuff.

moorerm04

Addicted to Softballfans
I cut way back on bats not that I every had a whole bunch but more than I used. 10 at the time now I have 4 and anything I get is for playing ball with, not collections or trade bait.

DEJ13

Addicted to Softballfans
I not sure what the point is to have a ton of bats. Last time I checked you can only swing one at a time. I buy a bat to use it not to put it on the mantle...

twestman

Addicted to Softballfans
Always on the hunt for a bat that I like better than my current gamers. It's a disease.

brewcrews

I have the same problem I have 13-14 bats and I'm buying a Asa ultra next week and possible a triad also then I will tell the wife I'm done buying bats for awhile till next winter comes around.like twestman said its a disease

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I buy what I use and I move what I don't need.
Right now, around 10 with only 3 niw.

Don't really have a need for ASA, so they'll prolly move by end of spring.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
I like trying new stuff. I have two identical bats that are both potential gamers for u trip (old stamps still allowed in the association we play). Still looking for the perfect ASA bat. Used to be the MUT98, but the weight being over sticker has caused me to look lighter as ive gotten more comfortable with lighter bats. Like you said, its also tough to pass on a good deal.

islandbuilt

Addicted to Softballfans
Like most of you, I have TMBS. TOO MANY BATS SYNDROME. At first, I bought bats for the team. Started off with metals, then moved on to composites. Played UTRIP, then ASA...and now only ASA. I got tired of carrying 10 bats to every game. So now I bring the bats I want to swing. But I'm stuck with all these bats that I paid top dollar for, but are now worth half or less than what I paid for, so it's all in the garage collecting dust.

RadCon10

Hibernating Up North
I loaded up on Pre ABI bats back in 2009 when there was the whole Pre ABI vs. Post ABI issue. I had maybe 15-20 bats. Now I've unloaded many of those older bats and stick to having 4-6 bats at any given time. A couple of gamers, a couple of back-ups, and one or two for BP to break in.

KDEflyers

Addicted to Softballfans
I get softball bats to use. Only bats I have to collect say Henry Aaron and Mickey Mantle on 'em.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
for what it's worth, i've actually cut my 'collection' down to almost half. so i'm actually doing a little better now that i've committed to just sticking with my gamer and only buying unique bats to try. the only monkey wrench to that being having to buy a new stamp utrip bat, and wanting to buy a new stamp asa bat. i still have like 9 bats i'll probably never use in games, but at least i don't have 11-12 bats that i try to use in games anymore. just a couple per league.

even still, i currently only have 4 bats i intend to use in games. juggy, rd28, cdn otc(if i'm still allowed anywhere), and j3u. but that doesn't mean i don't like having fun with the geezer, or jak'd nemy, mm gear, etc in BP. and i HAD to get the new asa j3 to see what the 'new asa' stuff is really like

midnight89

Bat Huer
I buy them to use. Usually a lot of that same bat....nice to have a gamer and then a bunch of others to swing in BP to break in for when the gamer breaks!

LC77

Manager
Every bat I have is trade bait for another 100H. Can never have too many of those. That bat has changed my life...snif.

Rega17

'MERICA
I like to try all the top of the line bats. With that being said I never had intentions of trying a reaper until I saw one in action recently.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
I buy them to use. Usually a lot of that same bat....nice to have a gamer and then a bunch of others to swing in BP to break in for when the gamer breaks!

i agree with that, but i only use one or two in games per league.and since i don't seem to ever break bats, i kind of gave up on the idea of stockpiling so i always had my favourite bat to swing. recent events seem to suggest bats will be illegal before i break them anyway:(
so my thought is i'm more likely to use it 'just for fun' in BP than i am in in games. so i'm now more likely to buy a unique bat than the 'latest and greatest' to try and replace my gamer

Last edited:

jf2k4

<font color="#3300FF">Outstanding Good Dealer</fon
I'll keep getting bats till I find the one that I can bunt it over the fence with.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
i agree with that, but i only use one or two in games per league.and since i don't seem to ever break bats, i kind of gave up on the idea of stockpiling so i always had my favourite bat to swing. recent events seem to suggest bats will be illegal before i break them anyway:(
so my thought is i'm more likely to use it 'just for fun' in BP than i am in in games. so i'm now more likely to buy a unique bat than the 'latest and greatest' to try and replace my gamer

I started to stockpile my favorites incase I break my gamers but I dont seem to break bats so I got two 454s and will buy a second ASA bat should I ever fall in love with one. Still yet to happen.

tjsully47

He hates these cans !!
I try to keep it to a sane amount but just recently I said I have too many . Also great deals do pull me in, my last one was on the local utrip board a guy gave me a 28scx3 in good shape and a great shape NR 28scn8 for my used 27sy100 . I didn't care that much for the sy100 so I took the 2 flipped them for 310 and bought a VX2u w/ new stamp which I've wanted for some time now . Also I just got a 26nr L1, a 26100w . With my 27100h, 26 100h and 26L1 I feel like I should get rid of one cause they are pretty much the same bat . From bp I can tell that 27 is a little heavy for me but I can't bring myself to move it just cause I got it before the 26 and I pulled the wrapper where as I got the 26 used. Maybe I'm crazy .

Here's another one, I've had a 26oz OG stadium NR in the wrapper for about a year I play some NSA but still have a gamer status OG stadium and will probably swing my new stuff anyway . I feel like I should move that bat but it has some sort of sentimental attachment . That's the only bat I look at right now as a collection piece the rest are all in the running for gamer status job to replace my OG Stadium.

I'm sitting at 13 bats right now . I consider myself a bat collector but collect to swing no to keep as trailer queens .

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
I only have 4 bats in my bag an one of those was given to me because he couldn't play anymore. One new stamp for tournaments and the other 3 for league and backyard tournaments. If I buy a bat it's with the money I got from selling 1 of the ones I have now. I never understood the whole 10+ thing and could think of a lot of other stuff to spend $150+ a piece on.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
Softballs a hobby. No different in spending money on softball stuff than in golf, or high end RC cars, or countless other hobbies.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I went through the bat heur phase for while then I realized that of all the bats I owned the only one I really wanted to swing was the OG Freak and I cut way back on my collection, was down to 7 at one point. Now with the new USSSA stamp I have been buying more bats to find my next favorite bat with the new stamp. I pretty much only buy bats to swing, I have no desire to collect bats. At one point I had over 50 bats and I kept buying bats to try. The problem is its impossible to break in that many bats even if you hit every day. I think I found my 2013 gamer in the new Easton Helmer so it might be time to sell some of my collection soon.