ASA banning balls

Toph

Addicted to Softballfans
Anybody heard of ASA possibly banning current stamped balls?

We had our managers meeting the other night and the LD said something to the effect of they were looking at some current ASA stamped legal 44/375 balls that they felt might be performing better than they are marked and there was a possibility that you might see an ASA banned ball by the end of the season.

Not sure how good any of this info is but it caught my attention. I'm not pointing fingers but I know there are some really good 44/375 balls out there that seem to perform way better than most.

chancechatman

Addicted to Softballfans
There is a marked difference in our leagues from the guys using the gold dots to the guys using thunder heats and Evil balls.

quick23

Probably has to do with multilayer balls. That is why companys have had to stop production on them...

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
The ASA did make Dudley and Evil stop producing the "multi-layered technology" balls (Thunder Advance, etc) with the ASA stamp. I think they're still legal for a while longer ... maybe that's what they're talking about.

Toph

Addicted to Softballfans
The ASA did make Dudley and Evil stop producing the "multi-layered technology" balls (Thunder Advance, etc). I think they're still legal for a while longer ... maybe that's what they're talking about.

That would suck for these guys dropping $120/dz for some TAs.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
There is a marked difference in our leagues from the guys using the gold dots to the guys using thunder heats and Evil balls.
Maybe true, but the Thunder Heats are fine, the Thunder Advance can't carry the ASA stamp any more, though. Many Evil balls are also gtg.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
ASA added a rule that allows for the creation of a "non-approved ball list." Currently, there are no softballs on this list, and I personally doubt this will ever become an issue. This is nothing more than a "just-in-case" move by ASA in the EXTREMELY rare event a manufacturer decides to get cute.

This will NOT be a repeat of the non-approved bat list.

bigdaddy07

Drive by poster
Anybody heard of ASA possibly banning current stamped balls?

We had our managers meeting the other night and the LD said something to the effect of they were looking at some current ASA stamped legal 44/375 balls that they felt might be performing better than they are marked and there was a possibility that you might see an ASA banned ball by the end of the season.

Not sure how good any of this info is but it caught my attention. I'm not pointing fingers but I know there are some really good 44/375 balls out there that seem to perform way better than most.

FROM THE 2011 RULE CHANGES WITH COMMENTS

RULE 3 SEC. 3A: The ball must have an ASA Approved Certification Mark and not appear on the ASA Non Approved Ball List.

COMMENT: There will be balls with certification marks that will be added to a non approved ball list. This clarifies that the balls will no longer be approved.

So the LD is correct.

Also, added:
Rule 3 SEC. 3E [3]:A yellow cover red stitch 12" ball with as follows:

Size: at least 11.875 in.; Weight: at least 6.250 oz.; COR: .520 max; Compression: 300.0 lbs. max and Dynamic stiffness: 5500 lbs. max.

COMMENTS: Allows for an additional 12" ball for the Slow Pitch Classification of play that is less temperature sensitive, reduces batted ball speed, and increases player reaction time.

My league did this last year

They banned TA's a long time ago, but but no Evils, Deckers or Guru's as of last year. The best ball we can hit is a Thunder ZN which isn't bad for the choices we have. The director said he did it because ASA is saying the balls that he banned were testing out of specs. He has been wrong so far because they aren't banned other places.

The city also a utrip league and they banned them in utrip too. At least they don't make us hit Hot Dots. Classic M ZN's will fly.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
ASA added a rule that allows for the creation of a "non-approved ball list." Currently, there are no softballs on this list, and I personally doubt this will ever become an issue. This is nothing more than a "just-in-case" move by ASA in the EXTREMELY rare event a manufacturer decides to get cute.

This will NOT be a repeat of the non-approved bat list.

I agree. Bats have a long life. Softballs mostly used 1/2 games so present stocks in dealers/players hand don't last that long.

dford42

Addicted to Softballfans
cause they suck ^^^^^ they dont even have the ball they want us to use, yet they are going to limit us on the balls we can use because they F'ed up. Makes complete and utter sense doesnt it? :(

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
ASA added a rule that allows for the creation of a "non-approved ball list." Currently, there are no softballs on this list, and I personally doubt this will ever become an issue. This is nothing more than a "just-in-case" move by ASA in the EXTREMELY rare event a manufacturer decides to get cute.This will NOT be a repeat of the non-approved bat list.
Interestingly, about 7 years ago, many balls were higher compression than the spec. I believe it was B&N Softball (Bomani) that published that in their findings. Once ASA started to talk about limiting bats, the ball makers started toeing the line.

mjross81

Surrounded by estrogen
All I can say is that I have 2 ASA Evil MC's in my BP bag of balls and the difference on the multilayered balls are unreal. It's slight notch below the red dot I got in the bag and hits right there (if not better) than any of my other 525 compression balls. :eek:

quick23

All I can say is that I have 2 ASA Evil MC's in my BP bag of balls and the difference on the multilayered balls are unreal. It's slight notch below the red dot I got in the bag and hits right there (if not better) than any of my other 525 compression balls. :eek:

That is because they are cheater balls. They were made with the soft exterior to fool the compression test. When the they are hit and pass the soft shell, the golf balls the have as a core take over and give the performance. ASA finally figured out what was going on and made production of them stop. Kinda like the the Ultra... Someone find out a way around the testing until ASA smartened up.