ASA Bat compression testing debacle... any expert chime in?

Country469

This is 2019 and swinging glass comments were ***** made 10 years ago.

Now that issue is behind us, and we have others who ***** about worse stuff.

And that wild53 old fart who gets his feelings hurt all the time and cries like crazy

Find another excuse for sucking than the other guy cheated.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Something dont add up herr, Playing with senior bats and Hot Microcell balls and I dont see the kinda shots your talking about on the reg. That team must be flat mashers

4xtra

Player/Coach
Hey corn hole I need you to fill this out IMMEDIATELY
beat-a-dead-horse.jpg

CornWood

Something dont add up herr, Playing with senior bats and Hot Microcell balls and I dont see the kinda shots your talking about on the reg. That team must be flat mashers
For reference Bobby, we hit BP on that same field every saturday with a combination of your BP rockets and some BP52+. We've never had a homerun over 330 or so with the 52+'s. Only the rockets have carried like that ball did.

We use a Dudley 52/300 for league night, Thunder Heat.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
For reference Bobby, we hit BP on that same field every saturday with a combination of your BP rockets and some BP52+. We've never had a homerun over 330 or so with the 52+'s. Only the rockets have carried like that ball did.

We use a Dudley 52/300 for league night, Thunder Heat.
If This thread was about the tester ,why do you keep bringing up performance or how many frozen ropes the other team hit?

According to you, even on the possibly wrong tester your bat tested within fifty pounds of their bat, so the bats not really the problem. What happened in the game isn't an issue either unless you just want this to be about the other team cheating.

Compression testing is an inexact science, and as far off as his results were from your previous results, the two bats weren't that far apart.

CornWood

If This thread was about the tester ,why do you keep bringing up performance or how many frozen ropes the other team hit?

According to you, even on the possibly wrong tester your bat tested within fifty pounds of their bat, so the bats not really the problem. What happened in the game isn't an issue either unless you just want this to be about the other team cheating.

Compression testing is an inexact science, and as far off as his results were from your previous results, the two bats weren't that far apart.

The truth is no one that has answered or responded seems to know any more than the average joe about compression testing or how bats will respond either once shaved. It's an interesting topic.

I reached out to the local company that advertises shaved rolled sticks and passed along this same information apparently they polymer coat the inside now to not only get compression back to legal limit and DC41's will pass even with the inner barrel cut out as long as the polymer coating is done? 15-30 feet is exactly what you'd expect to gain performance wise on ASA bats with .52/300 as well according to the company as well. It's basically the difference between warning track power and a homerun in most cases but someone that can put one out on a 300 ft field would see shots in the 330-340 range.
I quote directly from the horses mouth "340+ is hard to do with a .52 even with shaved and rolled modern ASA bats. Senior bats and others can get there easier."

Was this bat cut? I don't know but you superstars need to stop fronting like any of you are consistently putting a ball 330+ with a .52/300 and legal ASA equipment.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
325-330 homeruns are common here when someone gets a hold of one.

This ball slammed the fence on the girls softball field thats 7 feet high and prob would have landed 345-350 which is exactly the kind of performance I'd expect from a modified bat

For reference Bobby, we hit BP on that same field every saturday with a combination of your BP rockets and some BP52+. We've never had a homerun over 330 or so with the 52+'s.

So 330' is the exact cut-off point for legal bats and 15' over that means the bat was clearly modified. And you're honestly wondering why people here are ripping on you?

I've seen guys hit balls 30' more than they normally do because it's a little cooler on that particular day.

chile

Bad Ape
How about this? You said they borrowed it... Go see if you can borrow it. Hit it. And if you aren't hitting 325-340' bombs and 5ft off the ground lasers, you can delete this thread like it never happened... And if you are, well...be thankful.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The truth is no one that has answered or responded seems to know any more than the average joe about compression testing or how bats will respond either once shaved. It's an interesting topic.

I reached out to the local company that advertises shaved rolled sticks and passed along this same information apparently they polymer coat the inside now to not only get compression back to legal limit and DC41's will pass even with the inner barrel cut out as long as the polymer coating is done? 15-30 feet is exactly what you'd expect to gain performance wise on ASA bats with .52/300 as well according to the company as well. It's basically the difference between warning track power and a homerun in most cases but someone that can put one out on a 300 ft field would see shots in the 330-340 range.
I quote directly from the horses mouth "340+ is hard to do with a .52 even with shaved and rolled modern ASA bats. Senior bats and others can get there easier."

Was this bat cut? I don't know but you superstars need to stop fronting like any of you are consistently putting a ball 330+ with a .52/300 and legal ASA equipment.
What do you honestly expect the people shaving bats to tell you? Nah man, once we Shave it it hits the same as it did before. Shaving a non linear bat is stupid, and so is the idea that polymer coating the inside of the barrel retains compression. If it does, then it just undid all the performance you gained by shaving it. If that magic polymer existed the bat companies would make their walks thinner then just spray that goo in there.

That's like asking your drug dealer how pure his product is. If it's cut, is he going to tell you?

Pretty

Softball is cool
I have seen bats at state fail in the first day then pass the next. There is science behind it but isn’t exact as others have said. A guy i know used to keep his bats in a larger cooler before testing, dont know if it actually impacted the bat passing or not.

To the point of you saying 52/300 max out at 350 is amazingly stupid. I have been playing 13 years and I have hit more balls out with 52’s than 40 cor balls with Asa bats. I am not saying I blast 400 on the regular but I am a D player at best and hit the ball on accident for solos in the 330-350 range often enough. Nothing shaved and swing ASA Worth Harvey Legit primarily and we play with 52/300 Dudley composite or leather Evils.

4xtra

Player/Coach
Just had a bat tested this week and they told me that they see Miken ASA bats fail NIW on a REGULAR basis.
A guy on my team had his Primo test very close on the pass/fail line NIW.

Pretty

Softball is cool
Just had a bat tested this week and they told me that they see Miken ASA bats fail NIW on a REGULAR basis.
A guy on my team had his Primo test very close on the pass/fail line NIW.

I have a 2018 Harvey that at the last test was about 1000 hits passed by 100.

tonys1

SYB you're always out here spreading negativity man, you're not answering his questions and his local bat shaver said it adds distance. Why you always have to be a negative Nancy man.

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
Hey guys,

Had an issue at championship night for our local league tonight. Last year before the season ending tournament they took all bats and tested and those that didn't pass were not allowed to play in the championship tournament. This year we show up and they decide it's not "worth it" to test. The league director says test before the season because someone could test valid and then go "roll or shave it after anyway."

The team we were set to play first we've played 3 times already this season. First two times we saw nothing special but the last time we played them they showed up with a ASA 2018 DC-41 (we have one on our team as well, mine) and all the sudden they have a homerun (320ft field, it clears by 30+ feet almost in the other field with .52/300) and everyone that uses the bat hits an absolute rope. Balls are through the infield faster than we can react and line drives to the outfield are crushed. This bat was on loan from another team in our league. I called it out and made a point that no one our our team has ever hit a ball like ANY of the balls that came off that bat even though we have the same bat, even in the same weight 27 oz.

After we mention it to the league director he agrees to test both DC-41's, ours and the other team. He comes back and says "theirs is 1450 PSI and yours is 1475 PSI". 1300 PSI is pass/fail for this bat according to the paperwork. Now I've had mine tested 3 times over the last month for other leagues I am in (they test and then sticker to validate) and mine has consistently tested 1340-1360 depending on the tester. I mention this to the LD and get a smart remark about "you got what you wanted with the bat testing and you're still questioning it".

So I'd like an honest opinion or some advice from others on the board. I've never seen a bat hit like this teams bat. It sounds different, and the ball carries like nothing I've seen crush .52's before. We have some absolute mashers on my team and we've had homeruns but nothing even like what we saw off their bat the week before. Is it a cut bat? Will cut bats still pass compression? Why were the compression results so far off compared to the other parks I've had mine tested at? 1475 from my understanding is higher than mine even comes from the factory and I have about 1500 hits on mine.

Ideas? Thoughts?
Maybe this is the first time you ran into someone that knew how to Accurately operate the tester. That would explain why your bat tested a different number.

SwingTheD206

A bats compression can change based on weather alone. If you store your bat in the trunk of your car on a hot day it'll test differently than on a cold day. Also, of you think hitting a 52/300 ball more than 330' is abnormal then you are not in tune with reality. Go to the gym, get your weight up and/or learn to hit a 12" ball and for the love of god stop crying about rec league softball.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
guy if a bat is compression tested outside of the sweetspot it will compress differently. my est xl compression tested within 75 psi differently all over the barrell (same construction as dc41 except .5oz less endload). that est xl made jabroni church league ballers into mashers. it got called out numerous times.

whatever company you talked to are morons. there is no coating that is going to stop a sleeve less non linear to pass compression beyond possibly out of wrapper. and this "340+ is hard to do with a .52 even with shaved and rolled modern ASA bats. Senior bats and others can get there easier." is the dumbest thing i've heard. i'm def not going 340 plus on the reg but there are numerous people i play with regularly who get there without a ton of effort.

that said, if the guy tested both bats incorrectly, its possible that they had a doctored bat with the inner barrel removed. its always possible but i'm not saying anything to an LD for balls going 350. some teams are a good bat away from actually competing.

D-ROCK13

Compression numbers can absolutely change from one day to the next, even on the same tester and checked by the same person on the exact same spot on the bat. I had a 2014 utrip izzy psycho fail at 205 one day at 55F and got tossed, I talked to the league director and asked if I could have him retest the following week just for giggles, 75F, and it passed, closer to 240 on the same spot ( we marked it the first time ). Got another few hundred hits out of it before it split in half. Temperature can definitely alter results as well as location on bat, which is why they get tested in multiple locations along the sweetspot here. And like others have stated, each tester must be calibrated and the person testing must know the PROPER way to use the tester

tzinc

Addicted to Softballfans
quit that league
offer to buy that bat
steal that bat
bribe the commissioner
buy a doctored bat
become the new commissioner

Country469

I've played more than 5 innings of men's league slow pitch, so yeah I can imagine just about anything now