Other ASA bat length rule?

Katzy63

The Veteran
Good thing all the "FP bats" I use are 34" ;).... BTW, according to ASA, there are no "FP bats", but bats typically used in FP play.

True, But here in SoCal depending on where you play it's a bastardization of rules everywhere. USSSA parks playing SCMAF style ball but falling back on U-trip rules for what's not in their amendments. ASA leagues playing with SCMAF rules and falling back to the ASA books. Then you have the bat restrictions, single wall, multi-wall, wood, etc... Hell, I even worked a league that had a 10' line at the plate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that only apply to t-ball and not adults playing slow-pitch? We have coed leagues where women can swing anything they want, but the guys are restricted to one-piece, single wall aluminum? If there's an Ultra in the dugout I wanna swing it too!! All everyone thinks about is safety, which is great. We all know what a cut bat sounds like and common sense tells us that a 27oz Extended weighs more than a Happy Meal. People need to quit pimping their bats and go back to pimping their rides!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
True, But here in SoCal depending on where you play it's a bastardization of rules everywhere. USSSA parks playing SCMAF style ball but falling back on U-trip rules for what's not in their amendments. ASA leagues playing with SCMAF rules and falling back to the ASA books. Then you have the bat restrictions, single wall, multi-wall, wood, etc... Hell, I even worked a league that had a 10' line at the plate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that only apply to t-ball and not adults playing slow-pitch? We have coed leagues where women can swing anything they want, but the guys are restricted to one-piece, single wall aluminum? If there's an Ultra in the dugout I wanna swing it too!! All everyone thinks about is safety, which is great. We all know what a cut bat sounds like and common sense tells us that a 27oz Extended weighs more than a Happy Meal. People need to quit pimping their bats and go back to pimping their rides!

Your point?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
As far as a league saying you can't use a fast-pitch bat (usually anything under 34') in a slow-pitch game, that's their prerogative and you either abide by it or find someplace else to play.

In my case, and that of a dozen or so umpires in my area, they found someplace else to work.

And that is a shame, because it just causes the erosion of umpire mechanics and abilities.

Gishdream

Addicted to Softballfans
As far as a league saying you can't use a fast-pitch bat (usually anything under 34') in a slow-pitch game, that's their prerogative and you either abide by it or find someplace else to play.

If it was in the league rules... I would have no problem with this. But you can't make up rules on the spot (which he did and later the director confirmed that we can use the bat.)