ASA DB Review - From a Non-Combatant

FAT JESUS

More than likely
I just hit my new ASA DB this weekend for the first time. Indoor BP Sat AM, Indoor game at night......I hardly ever hype bats, ever. This is the only bat I have ever hit that was truly "Hot out of the wrapper".....after only 100 hits it was nuclear. That would include anything from Worth, Miken, Easton, or LS in the past 3-4 years. I liked the ASA Ultra, Loved the Fu Dawg, but this thing is a whole other level. Its like getting a broken in Freak 100 in....100 swings, with the shotgun sound to boot. The entire barrel is live, you can hit it anywhere and it goes, hard... No idea how this thing passed testing. I had at least 6-8 guys swing it during games Sat night, guys from E to top half of C line ups, and nobody could believe it. We were hitting hot dots indoors. First swings from different guys included 3 Hrs, all rippling the dome fabric wall with force (270+ to base of dome wall), an endcap knuckling laser to the back wall, and an injured pitcher. In the AM I hit Evil BPs and it was retarded. People were getting hit on the rebound from the back wall behind the screen. Trust me I hate bat hype, but the Combat DB ASA is the real deal without a doubt, a hands down winner. I would have no problem comparing it to an OG Freak or Extended......I am selling off what bats I had left, and getting the NSA model for leagues/tourneys this season....only ASA I play is winter indoor, but I will look for an ASA league to play in just so I can swing this bat.

Ratings/Misc

Pop - 10 (Based on ASA bats including OG Pre ABI)
Distance - Take a guess based on POP lol
Sound - 10 - Only drawback is it sounds cut.
Weight - 9.5 - 0.5 Oz Overweight, nice barrel loaded feel. Whips real nice.
Looks - 10 - Everyone liked the Orange Matte
Durability - TBD - ~200 hard hits with mostly Evil BPs, some slight webbing, no rattles.
Price - 10 (Paid WAY below retail)

I thought the Ultra was really good, then was really surprised by the Fu-Dawg; but this thing felt like they cheated the test it was so good. Maybe I just got a real good one, maybe Evil BPs and rotating the bat carefully over 125 hits is the right amount of break in, who knows; but this thing is retarded.

I mean if there is something better than this for ASA I give up.

KannonsDad

**** you
Thanks for the extensive, unbiased review. It's good to see more than us combatants are crazy about them!

DaIrishman

Shut Up And Play
I just hit my new ASA DB this weekend for the first time. Indoor BP Sat AM, Indoor game at night......I hardly ever hype bats, ever. This is the only bat I have ever hit that was truly "Hot out of the wrapper".....after only 100 hits it was nuclear. That would include anything from Worth, Miken, Easton, or LS in the past 3-4 years. I liked the ASA Ultra, Loved the Fu Dawg, but this thing is a whole other level. Its like getting a broken in Freak 100 in....100 swings, with the shotgun sound to boot. The entire barrel is live, you can hit it anywhere and it goes, hard... No idea how this thing passed testing. I had at least 6-8 guys swing it during games Sat night, guys from E to top half of C line ups, and nobody could believe it. We were hitting hot dots indoors. First swings from different guys included 3 Hrs, all rippling the dome fabric wall with force (270+ to base of dome wall), an endcap knuckling laser to the back wall, and an injured pitcher. In the AM I hit Evil BPs and it was retarded. People were getting hit on the rebound from the back wall behind the screen. Trust me I hate bat hype, but the Combat DB ASA is the real deal without a doubt, a hands down winner. I would have no problem comparing it to an OG Freak or Extended......I am selling off what bats I had left, and getting the NSA model for leagues/tourneys this season....only ASA I play is winter indoor, but I will look for an ASA league to play in just so I can swing this bat.

Ratings/Misc

Pop - 10 (Based on ASA bats including OG Pre ABI)
Distance - Take a guess based on POP lol
Sound - 10 - Only drawback is it sounds cut.
Weight - 9.5 - 0.5 Oz Overweight, nice barrel loaded feel. Whips real nice.
Looks - 10 - Everyone liked the Orange Matte
Durability - TBD - ~200 hard hits with mostly Evil BPs, some slight webbing, no rattles.
Price - 10 (Paid WAY below retail)

I thought the Ultra was really good, then was really surprised by the Fu-Dawg; but this thing felt like they cheated the test it was so good. Maybe I just got a real good one, maybe Evil BPs and rotating the bat carefully over 125 hits is the right amount of break in, who knows; but this thing is retarded.

I mean if there is something better than this for ASA I give up.

Did you post this in the review section?

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm glad you posted this. It is nice when other people besides Combatants review them. Takes away from the whole it is just them hyping their new bats posts.

It is a shame more people won't try them though. I offered to let a guy here swing them. he said I don't like Combats they are as crappy as the Mizuno bats. I still told him we would meet up and he could take a few swings, he still refuses. Oh well his loss

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
Great review, thank you! I will say this though... all this hype means more people will be turned on to COMbat. For me, the fact that they were a sleeper brand was what was so appealing to me. I'm excited to see what this new line of bats will do for the company, but there is a small part of me that does want other people to know. :)

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Great review, thank you! I will say this though... all this hype means more people will be turned on to COMbat. For me, the fact that they were a sleeper brand was what was so appealing to me. I'm excited to see what this new line of bats will do for the company, but there is a small part of me that does want other people to know. :)

I want everyone to know...except for the guys I play against.

sober0014

Addicted to Softballfans
SUNDAY update: 2nd update: sunny & 55 light wind. swung my two bats (26oz ASA DB & 26oz L4) using the Trump Evils .52/300 all leathers in my scrimmage. 3-4 with the L4 (all solid line drives over short) and 0-2 with ASA DB (2 descent fly balls roughly 280-290' on an open field). I am line drive hitter that could hit a homer or two on a fenced field with the .44/375 balls in the past (maybe 300-325'), but now we switched to hitting the .52/300. my home run days probably came to an end-lol.

SATURDAY update: sunny & 55 light wind. ended up hitting my two buddies. they had their balls -- .52/300 tattoos (they were all pretty new). ALL the bats were good. between the 3 of us hitting the reviews were very mixed. one guy really liked the endload of the DB, the other guy really liked his L6 and me personally liked the swing weight of the L4, but i just could NOT get the distance with the L4 vs the heavier L6 and the end load of DB.

will be testing outdoor bp. 27oz L6 vs 26oz L4 vs 26oz ASA DB this saturday. and, maybe sunday in a scrimmage too. 2 rounds of 10 swings each for 3-4 guys. will be using .52/300 evils and hycons. the db has 100 swings on it as it was sold to me from a board bro that way. the eastona are niw, but i will put 100 tee swings on them before the comparison to level the playing field. personally, i hope they all crush the ball the same.

Last edited:

FreakShow34

One minute left
Any issues with the ASA DB hitting the 44/375? Our league said its going to the 52/300, but after talking to our manager it sounds like we will still be allowed to hit the 44/375 in league play. Basically the umpires/LD are too stupid/lazy to enforce the new 52/300 ball. I saw where some of the new bats that were made for the 52/300 ball are breaking pretty easy when hitting the 44/375. If that is the case with the DB I will leave it in the bag on league night.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
will be testing outdoor bp. L6 vs L4 vs ASA DB this saturday. and, maybe sunday in a scrimmage too. 2 rounds of 10 swings each for 3-4 guys. all are 26oz. will be using .52/300 evils and hycons. the db has 100 swings on it as it was sold to me from a board bro that way. the eastona are niw, but i will put 100 tee swings on them before the comparison to level the playing field. personally, i hope they all crush the ball the same.
Shame it's not Sunday; I'd have brought a DB275.

Any issues with the ASA DB hitting the 44/375? Our league said its going to the 52/300, but after talking to our manager it sounds like we will still be allowed to hit the 44/375 in league play. Basically the umpires/LD are too stupid/lazy to enforce the new 52/300 ball. I saw where some of the new bats that were made for the 52/300 ball are breaking pretty easy when hitting the 44/375. If that is the case with the DB I will leave it in the bag on league night.
I got 700+ swings out of the DB and Wanted ASA in primarily pretty cold weather, with mostly 44/375's and 44/400's.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
I got 700+ swings out of the DB and Wanted ASA in primarily pretty cold weather, with mostly 44/375's and 44/400's.

But you hit like a girl; and I'm not talking about like CD either, I'm talking like 8 year old fastpitch.

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
I got about 1000 swings on mine before sending it in due to a rattle. Hit mostly 44/375s. Hit some thunder sys with it in my outlaw league. Some guts hit about 400 swings with stadium balls and it was fine. Just got an irritating rattle so i sent it back.

I am about 6 feet tall and weighed about 270 when I originally got the bat. I have an ugly caveman swing, but I don't think I hit like a girl.

Roman2469

The Veteran
I went with the hype and got a derby boys 275,i have a asa ultra and a easton b3 so now gotta find time to go hit them all at cages and see what i like best..

Roman2469

The Veteran
Yes playing 3 asa leagues and all will be using the 52s so hoping these bats will live up to the hype.