Any ASA / ISA - Batters Box

igo4uga0586

Addicted to Softballfans
I generally walk the box when I hit, yet I have found and heard many different rules concerning where I have to begin. Some umpires tell me that as long as I end up in the box when I swing it is good. Some tell me that one foot have to be in the box, lastly i have heard that both feet need to be in the box. What is the rule concerning this in ISA and ASA?

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
In ASA, both feet have to be at least partially in the batter's box to start.

BigNate76

Starting Player
both have to be in to start? what about by the time you hit? I was walking the box for a while and was crushing going oppo this way and got called for being out of the box by this particular ump

Sonic625

An Admin
Staff member
ILLEGALLY BATTED BALL: Occurs when the batter hits the ball fair or foul and:
A. When, at the time the bat makes contact with the ball, the entire foot is
completely outside the lines of the batter’s box and on the ground.
B. When, at the time the bat makes contact with the ball, any part of the
foot is touching home plate.

Most boxes are not chalked so this is a judgement call if they are not, no need to argue cause it wont help, much like balls and strikes.
You can however hit the ball with the back foot in and the other foot outside the box if it i in the air at the time of contact (not easy to get power though)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
In ASA, both feet must be completely within or touching the lines, and no part of the foot may be outside of the lines prior to the pitch.

Once the ball is pitched, the batter may move around within the box all he likes, so long as he doesn't leave the batter's box and re-enter to hit the ball (I call it the Happy Gilmore Rule), and so long as he doesn't make contact with the ball while his foot is completely outside of the box or touching any part of the plate.