• ASA only is hotter

Votes: 82 67.8%
  • ASA/USSSA stamp is just as hot as ASA only

Votes: 39 32.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

navygrodo

Addicted to Softballfans
I am trying to get some opinions here as I am thinking about getting another ASA bat. I know that they have said the new ASA only bats are so hot that no other sanction will sanction them. So is it true that a bat with a new ASA stamp that also has the USSSA stamp on them are less hot than the ASA only stamped bats?

Anything will help. I am trying to decide between the ASA only Derby Boy or the ASA/USSSA Scrapalator Warfighter if this helps at all.

krunchyfrogg

It's all in the reflexes
Let's apply logic here.

If a bat is so hot only one type of play will sanction it, then another bat is approved for both that sanction and one that has stricter standards, of course the second bat won't be as good.

That being said, there's nothing stopping Easton from submitting the Hammer only to ASA for approval and including no other stamps.

navygrodo

Addicted to Softballfans
Well that would be solid logic if saying that it is too hot for USSSA wasn't just a marketing scam. Hence why I was asking if that was actually the case or not. Since ASA is to 100+ standards but USSSA is still to 120 then with that being said how is 100+ hotter than 120? I am most definitely not trying to be a **** just trying to figure out this new ASA standard.

krunchyfrogg

It's all in the reflexes
ASA and USSSA test their bats to completely different standards.

I'm not an expert, but ASA has a 98 MPH limit, and USSSA has a 1.20 BPF limit. They are not the same thing.

Eeyore

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA also uses softer balls for testing now so the bats can get hotter without going over "the limit"

JMS

Softball Eh?!
Quoted from NSA Canada

"ASA Standard or MPH testing – # 2019 ASTM
BPF Standard / 1.20 BPF - #1890 ASTM"

"Although, the test are created for the same product testing they do not co-exist as a bat that has a 98mph rating is tested as ASA, and a bat that has a 120 rating is tested as BPF standard ( 1.20 ) and the common misconception is that they are 120 MPH. That not being the case as most 1.20 BPF bats test at 100 MPH rating with a +/- ratio of 2 MPH. Therefore softball bats that meet the BPF 1.20 standard are testing at 100 MPH (plus or minus 2 MPH anywhere from 98 MPH to 102 MPH) The reality of this is a variance of 4 miles per hour or 12 feet in distance"

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
i can say that the new asa stuff is hotter than the old asa stuff.

but from my limited experience, i couldn't determine if the j3a or the j3u was hotter. they were both very close.

unfortunately logic doesn't make any sense here, since there are asa only bats, utrip/nsa only bats, and bats with both all being made. the only thing that i can come up with is that the asa and utrip standards are super close to each other, basically the same, but because of the different testing methods it's too costly to R&D a bat that performs well and passes both tests. so they just focus on one or the other. and then some companies are simply making slightly toned down bats to pass both tests. complete speculation though.

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
The ASA testing changed. The simulated swing speed of the test was lowered and the softer ball was added. Both of these changes equal more gap room for performance. ASA only bats will at the very least be hotter than they have ever been, if not hotter than USSSA bats.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
The ASA only MAY be hotter, but I bet the difference is very miniscule. Of course that is just me guessing, I really have no idea.

Joker

these new ASA bats are hotter than senior bats, the old ultras and ultra 2s will be legal again in ASA soon

tbatti

Addicted to Softballfans
Well that would be solid logic if saying that it is too hot for USSSA wasn't just a marketing scam. Hence why I was asking if that was actually the case or not. Since ASA is to 100+ standards but USSSA is still to 120 then with that being said how is 100+ hotter than 120? I am most definitely not trying to be a **** just trying to figure out this new ASA standard.

Oh dear lord. You can't be serious that you think there is a 120mph bat?

cmo27

Local Celebrity
The ASA testing changed. The simulated swing speed of the test was lowered and the softer ball was added. Both of these changes equal more gap room for performance. ASA only bats will at the very least be hotter than they have ever been, if not hotter than USSSA bats.

I believe this is the most logical response, but I'm not convinced it translates to ASA bats.being hotter than Utrip.. Best way to figure it out would be getting an ASA only, Utrip only and an ASA/Utrip bat from the same company and comparing them side by side.. Easton Stealths or Synergys would be a good benchmark for this probably when the ASA only bats are released

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
Most people have no idea which is hotter. They are guessing, bought into the hype, or voting what they want.

SoftballDad52

Albino Rhino
I know that I am saving my Easton Credit to get an ASA only stamped bat, Although I did not see an ASA balanced one piece bat yet. The J3A was every bit as hot as the J2U. I am just judging based on that and I am an Easton guy.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe this is the most logical response, but I'm not convinced it translates to ASA bats.being hotter than Utrip.. Best way to figure it out would be getting an ASA only, Utrip only and an ASA/Utrip bat from the same company and comparing them side by side.. Easton Stealths or Synergys would be a good benchmark for this probably when the ASA only bats are released

i recently hit a j3a and j3u, both basically new though, and i wasn't really able to tell which one was 'hotter'. demarini doesn't make a dual stamp juggy, so it's the best i could do

cmo27

Local Celebrity
i recently hit a j3a and j3u, both basically new though, and i wasn't really able to tell which one was 'hotter'. demarini doesn't make a dual stamp juggy, so it's the best i could do

That's what I was trying to get at.. set up a generic test of your own using the same benchmark .. Obviously use the same balls against all bats, you're the one swinging, and a manufacturer where you can compare the different types of bats across a similar model type.. Aside from that, I feel it will likely be speculation as to which is the hottest.. Your conclusion is kind of what I expected though. Especially if the test were to go along the lines of ASA only vs 52/300, Utrip vs 52/275 and so on.. I believe the different sanctions are just trying to even things out somewhat and just create their own rules to attract different teams

That's what I was trying to get at.. set up a generic test of your own using the same benchmark .. Obviously use the same balls against all bats, you're the one swinging, and a manufacturer where you can compare the different types of bats across a similar model type.. Aside from that, I feel it will likely be speculation as to which is the hottest.. Your conclusion is kind of what I expected though. Especially if the test were to go along the lines of ASA only vs 52/300, Utrip vs 52/275 and so on.. I believe the different sanctions are just trying to even things out somewhat and just create their own rules to attract different teams

I definitely agree ^

hit50more

Addicted to Softballfans
A 98MPH asa rating after break-in cannot exceed 98mph. The 100mph (+-2 )can after break-in. The sanctioning bodies
are using the differrent core/compression balls to compensate for the bats.So in comparison if your using a 44/375 in ASA
& a lower compression ball in Usssa what do you think the result would be??

OtejunK

Art Work Junky
Oh dear lord. You can't be serious that you think there is a 120mph bat?

I know, I read the same thing and about fell out of my chair - drives me up a wall when people think that 1.20 BPF means 120 MPH... NO IT DOESNT!!!!!

x25

Addicted to Softballfans
Most people have no idea which is hotter. They are guessing, bought into the hype, or voting what they want.

Or they read a book, and understand the ramifications of keeping the same exit speed standard but reducing the swing speed by 5mph.

The swing speed change is about a 5% difference - or 15 feet at 300. Weirdly similar to the NSA Canada claim earlier. It's almost like ASA gamed the test to make their bats approximately on par with USSSA, to go along with their change to a near-identical ball.

abitskrewd

Addicted to Softballfans

this, plus each bat manufacturer wont have the same results. also, the way you swing said bat will make a difference in performance as well.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
this, plus each bat manufacturer wont have the same results. also, the way you swing said bat will make a difference in performance as well.

this is true at the field, which most would argue is more important. but here online, we can't really debate individual preference.

the question is, with a robot swinging, hitting the exact same ball the exact same way under the exact same conditions, does an asa or usssa bat perform better?

your comments are still really important to consider, since most of us will be commenting on how we swing the bat. for example, when i hit the j3u and j3a i definitely hit the j3a better. but i realize i preferred the feel of the more balanced j3a, and think that was the reason i got better performance. when i did manage to hit a ball well with the j3u, it seemed to be about as good as my best hits with the j3a. i just had more good hits with the j3a

SoftballDad52

Albino Rhino
agree with Fierce^^^^^ I end up swinging my SCX3 in USSSA and even senior because I am so familiar and hit it so perfectly. A little hotter bat that I don't swing as good is not going to give better results. That being said, I will buy a new ASA only easton if they make a one piece balanced bat with a 13.5 inch barrel. Just because I want to try it.

natedd

Addicted to Softballfans
I think my j3a is better then my old j3u. I honestly think my 100 hit j3a is on par with my 1500 hit j2u. I was getting similar line drives last night. Just my opinion on these particular bats.

Can't wait to get my J3A + it's my first order from the sbf store ..
So hoping it goes as smooth as all my deals from the board ;)
Hit some BP today swung every bat I have and a blue and grey TPS my freind has
With luck ill post my BP results with J3A compared to my J2U and the old green catty ..

I think my j3a is better then my old j3u. I honestly think my 100 hit j3a is on par with my 1500 hit j2u. I was getting similar line drives last night. Just my opinion on these particular bats.

???? How's the J3A do compared to flipper for you ?

HrBump13

Addicted to Softballfans
I too believe that the ASA only, "Too Hot for USSSA," is a marketing ploy. I believe that it is cheaper for the companies to get these bats tested for just one association rather than all. This allows more profit. These are the facts that I am able to report on this. I have a Demarini ASA (new stamp) Only FU-DAWG replacement & an Easton new ASA/USSSA/ect stamped SP13X2 which was a replacement as well. Out of the wrapper they both performed great. Now, w/ about 2-300 cuts on both bats, they still perform about the same for me (being equally "HOT"). So while the new testing procedures for the new stamp ASA bats may make them hotter, I don't see how an ASA Only bat is too hot for UTrip. Just swing the bat fellas & the ball will fly!

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
If the J3A had all the stamps on it, I wouldn't swing anything else... Bats hotter than my 1000 hit LC legend was...