ASA Asa pitch height, what the heck.

spartanmikek

Addicted to Softballfans
I have read numerous posts here about ASA changing their pitch height to 6ft to 10ft so I brought it up to our league director (because ours is still 6-12) and he checked with his ASAsa rep who said it is not 6-10, it is still 6-12. I can't find any literature from asa on the internet talking about changing to 6-10. Can someone help me out here please. Thank u sirsirs.

spos21ram

The Legend
I know for a fact it's 6-10'. I don't have the exact spot in the rule book but NCASAUMP should have it up soon.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I have read numerous posts here about ASA changing their pitch height to 6ft to 10ft so I brought it up to our league director (because ours is still 6-12) and he checked with his ASAsa rep who said it is not 6-10, it is still 6-12. I can't find any literature from asa on the internet talking about changing to 6-10. Can someone help me out here please. Thank u sirsirs.

You are't by any chance playing in a senior league, are you?

ASA Senior Slow Pitch still has the 6'-12' pitch requirements.

spartanmikek

Addicted to Softballfans
You are't by any chance playing in a senior league, are you?

ASA Senior Slow Pitch still has the 6'-12' pitch requirements.

No sir, I sat right next to our league director as he called his "ASA rep" on speaker phone and the guy told me I was wrong and that ASA experimented with 6 to 10 for a bit but "in the ASA rule book it is 6 to 12"

spartanmikek

Addicted to Softballfans
The literature that spells this out is the 2010 and 2011 rule book. The rule was changed for the 2010 season.

Your internet search must not have been too exhaustive. All I did was type "ASA rule changes 2010" into Google and this popped up- straight from the ASA web site:

http://downloads.asasoftball.com/about/pdf/2010playingrulechangeswithcomments.pdf

Check out Rule 6-3-H

Thank u sir. I sware, I just have spent almost 2 hours on the asa site and internet and I couldn't find anything, I suck. Thanks again.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
No sir, I sat right next to our league director as he called his "ASA rep" on speaker phone and the guy told me I was wrong and that ASA experimented with 6 to 10 for a bit but "in the ASA rule book it is 6 to 12"

Pretty simple to straighten this out. You would think that your LD, the ASA guy...somebody...would have an ASA rule book. All they have to do is open it up and read it.

spartanmikek

Addicted to Softballfans
Pretty simple to straighten this out. You would think that your LD, the ASA guy...somebody...would have an ASA rule book. All they have to do is open it up and read it.

the guy on the phone was so smug with his answers, like we were wasting his time by even asking such a "simple" question. I'm leaning my house in a min to go in there, I appreciate every ones help, thanks guys.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
the guy on the phone was so smug with his answers, like we were wasting his time by even asking such a "simple" question. I'm leaning my house in a min to go in there, I appreciate every ones help, thanks guys.

Well, I know a bundle of umpires in AZ and they will tell you 6-10, so I guess your people just aren't as smart as the umpires.

spartanmikek

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, I know a bundle of umpires in AZ and they will tell you 6-10, so I guess your people just aren't as smart as the umpires.

I found out my LD "asa rep" is the UIC (umpire in chief) for the ASA umpires that umpire our league. So my Arizona umpires are the ones that "aren't as smart as the umpires" lol

Last edited:

spartanmikek

Addicted to Softballfans
Let us know what the guy says after you show him the rule. Kinda interested in his response.

I just got back. So I showed my LD the exact rule from the link brett sent me and my LD is actually a really good guy. He is probably the best LD i have ever been involved with. He usually is really on top of asa rule changes and he spends his own time (unpaid) coming to the fields during games to make sure everything is running well. He tried calling his "ASA rep" who i found out is the UIC (which i found out means Umpire in Charge which im sure you all already know) for the ASA umpires that umpire our league and he didnt answer. Ill repost when my LD gets back to me and tells me what he said.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I just got back. So I showed my LD the exact rule from the link brett sent me and my LD is actually a really good guy. He is probably the best LD i have ever been involved with. He usually is really on top of asa rule changes and he spends his own time (unpaid) coming to the fields during games to make sure everything is running well. He tried calling his "ASA rep" who i found out is the UIC (which i found out means Umpire in Chief which im sure you all already know) for the ASA umpires that umpire our league and he didnt answer. Ill repost when my LD gets back to me and tells me what he said.

Fixed it for you...

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I just got back. So I showed my LD the exact rule from the link brett sent me and my LD is actually a really good guy. He is probably the best LD i have ever been involved with. He usually is really on top of asa rule changes and he spends his own time (unpaid) coming to the fields during games to make sure everything is running well. He tried calling his "ASA rep" who i found out is the UIC (which i found out means Umpire in Charge which im sure you all already know) for the ASA umpires that umpire our league and he didnt answer. Ill repost when my LD gets back to me and tells me what he said.

Actually, I do know the past two and present AZ State UIC, Deputy State UIC and a district UIC and a couple others including the Rocky Mtn Reg UIC and I'll see some of them next Fri or Sat, so I'll ask

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
What is a bat ring

Measures the diameter of a bat.
bat_ring-ac1013.jpg

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
Didn't your team receive a copy of the 2011 ASA rule book? It would be in there.

I know some leagues have elected to stay at 12', but that doesn't explain why the UIC was so wrong.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
We are a Senior League that plays ASA rules. We decided to stay with the 6-12 after using the 6-10' arc that winter indoors because 2 pitchers who are members of the board are high arc pitchers and they had a hard time keeping it around the 10' height. I wanted to go with the 6-10 as I am a low arc pitcher so it would have had no effect on my pitching. So I got out voted.

spos21ram

The Legend
We are a Senior League that plays ASA rules. We decided to stay with the 6-12 after using the 6-10' arc that winter indoors because 2 pitchers who are members of the board are high arc pitchers and they had a hard time keeping it around the 10' height. I wanted to go with the 6-10 as I am a low arc pitcher so it would have had no effect on my pitching. So I got out voted.

Your by-laws can say whatever they want for pitch arc, but senior league book rule is still 6-12' anyway.

T8S

Addicted to Softballfans
Actually, I do know the past two and present AZ State UIC, Deputy State UIC and a district UIC and a couple others including the Rocky Mtn Reg UIC and I'll see some of them next Fri or Sat, so I'll ask

Is Darrell McRae still the Deputy UIC in AZ?

What league is this for spartanmikek?