ASA ASA Pitching Questions

MKP #10

Addicted to Softballfans
Two things....

1. Is it legal for me to stand with my left foot touching the right edge of the pitcher's plate (as I face home plate)... and then step towards the right w/ my right foot (with my left foot still touching the plate) as I release the ball towards home?

I had an ump tell me last night that I could not release the ball that far to the side and I should keep my release within the width of the pitcher's plate.

2. If I am walking up to the pitcher's plate to pitch a ball... how long to I have to stop on the mound before I pitch?... and is there any rule on how I have to present the ball to the batter?

Centxballer

Donkey Punch King
You are good.

Rule 6 Section 1A:
The pitcher must take a position with both feet firmly on the ground and with one or both feet in contact with the pitcher's plate. The pitcher's pivot foot must be in contact with the pitcher's plate throughout the delivery.

Rule 6 Section 1C:
The pitcher must not make any motion to pitch while not in contact with the pitcher's plate.

EFFECT: A dead ball should be called, an illegel pitch ruled, a warning is issued, and repeated action would result in the pitcher ruled illegal, and removed from the pitching position.

Two things....

1. Is it legal for me to stand with my left foot touching the right edge of the pitcher's plate (as I face home plate)... and then step towards the right w/ my right foot (with my left foot still touching the plate) as I release the ball towards home?

I had an ump tell me last night that I could not release the ball that far to the side and I should keep my release within the width of the pitcher's plate.

2. If I am walking up to the pitcher's plate to pitch a ball... how long to I have to stop on the mound before I pitch?... and is there any rule on how I have to present the ball to the batter?

The ump is getting confused with the fastpitch rules in scenario #1.

You have to come to a stop. I don't believe time is defined in the book.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

Don't they have softball fields in Chicago? You must come to a complete stop while in contact with the pitcher's plate.

And, no, there is "presentation" necessary.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Two things....

Legal. Even specifically mentioned in this month's Plays and Clarifications.

That's a rule only for fast pitch and modified pitch. Slow pitch does not have such a requirement.

At least one second, and the ball must be in front of the body during the pause.

MF'N MGR

Addicted to Softballfans
Legal. Even specifically mentioned in this month's Plays and Clarifications.

That's a rule only for fast pitch and modified pitch. Slow pitch does not have such a requirement.

At least one second, and the ball must be in front of the body during the pause.
In front of the body at any particular height? I heard waist level, but rven that wasnt certain with another person i asked. This ump really ate up what the other team was complaining about and I've seen Mark pitch many times, not ever once penalized for the stated methods.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
In front of the body at any particular height? I heard waist level, but rven that wasnt certain with another person i asked. This ump really ate up what the other team was complaining about and I've seen Mark pitch many times, not ever once penalized for the stated methods.

Just in front of the body. Doesn't have to be waist high, doesn't have to be chest high, doesn't have to be anywhere except in front of the body.

JAM23

Star Player
we had an issue like this last night where the opposing pitcher would catch the ball behind the mound and walk into his motion with no pause. I brought it up to the Umpire numerous times and was told she would do something about it, but never did.

Eventually their pitcher began to yell at us for complaining and said "quit complaining, it's just league!"

Obviously it got a little chippy after that between both teams but i think if they Umpire would have just made the illegal call one or two times he would have stopped and she could have kept control of the game.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
we had an issue like this last night where the opposing pitcher would catch the ball behind the mound and walk into his motion with no pause. I brought it up to the Umpire numerous times and was told she would do something about it, but never did.

Eventually their pitcher began to yell at us for complaining and said "quit complaining, it's just league!"

Obviously it got a little chippy after that between both teams but i think if they Umpire would have just made the illegal call one or two times he would have stopped and she could have kept control of the game.

Maybe, but then you guys act like you'd never heard it called before. :D :p

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
sorry im not sure what you mean there NCASA?

Last night, I was calling a men's league, and the pitchers couldn't believe I would actually call "illegal" on pitches going 15 feet into the air.

I mean, I know I hadn't called that league in a while, but really? Had they forgotten? :p

JAM23

Star Player
Oh i gotcha. lol

The same ump last night called an illegal high pitch while i was batting. the call was a little late but it was a good enough pitch and i hit it pretty solid anyways. She actually apologized an inning or two later for calling it so late but i just told her "hey id rather have you call it a little late than not at all" :)

MkD0722

Addicted to Softballfans
Your setup and delivery seems to be just fine and within the rules, but that crappy backspin you put on the ball should definitely be called illegal...I've never seen so many balls end up in trees with that pitch! LOL jk :-D

I HAVE CALLED THAT OUT MANY TIMES TO AN UMP,AND USUALLY GET THE WTF LOOK....:rolleyes:

Maybe, but then you guys act like you'd never heard it called before. :D :p

AND THAT SHOULD STOP YOU FROM CALLING IT.......:confused::rolleyes:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I HAVE CALLED THAT OUT MANY TIMES TO AN UMP,AND USUALLY GET THE WTF LOOK....:rolleyes:

AND THAT SHOULD STOP YOU FROM CALLING IT.......:confused::rolleyes:

WHAAAAT?! :eek:
Blackwater.jpg

MKP #10

Addicted to Softballfans
Your setup and delivery seems to be just fine and within the rules, but that crappy backspin you put on the ball should definitely be called illegal...I've never seen so many balls end up in trees with that pitch! LOL jk :-D

Damn, bro... the first time I hear from you in years and you are doggin' me out on here?

Hope all is well. Next time you are out my way, stop in for a cold one!

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
Have a similar question. Had an ASA slowpitch game today and the opposing pitcher was doing things like pitching while falling back with one leg high in the air, starting his motion fast and then slowing it down, and moving towards home plate following the ball for about 5 to 6 feel after releasing the ball. Are those legal? We didn't think so since his intention was to deceive the batter. I told the coach of the team that I didn't think that was legal and that this wasn't Utrip. Asked the ump and he basically shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know....

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Have a similar question. Had an ASA slowpitch game today and the opposing pitcher was doing things like pitching while falling back with one leg high in the air,

As long as he started with both on the ground, legal

starting his motion fast and then slowing it down,

legal

and moving towards home plate following the ball for about 5 to 6 feel after releasing the ball.

Stupid, but unless the umpire believes the movement was intended to interfere with the batter's ability to hit the ball, it is legal. If the pitcher moves his arms as if continuing a delivery, that is an IP. Then again, this is SP and if the batter is watching the ball, what difference does it make what the pitcher does after releasing the ball?