ASA Pre Pitch Fielder

Jay3131

What does it say in the ASA rulebook about a fielder moving while the pitch is in the air? Can the fielders not shift at all or can they just not cross second base? I guess I'm specifically referring to the middle infielders. What exactly does the rule say?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It says...
A fielder shall not take a position in the batter's line of vision or, with deliberate unsportsmanlike intent, act in a manner to distract the batter. A pitch does not have to be released.

We don't expect fielders to be statues out there. This isn't a game of red light, green light. What it means is you can't have fielders acting like douchebags, deliberately trying to distract the batter.

Long story short, fielders CAN move while the pitch is in the air, so long as they're not being jackasses.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
It says...

We don't expect fielders to be statues out there. This isn't a game of red light, green light. What it means is you can't have fielders acting like douchebags, deliberately trying to distract the batter.

Long story short, fielders CAN move while the pitch is in the air, so long as they're not being jackasses.

Since it's an umpires judgement, what would you consider a 'just over the line' action that would result in an unsportsmanlike/distraction call? And yes I realize this would vary umpire to umpire.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Okay, yes, my answer was a little flippant. I guess it's because it's really hard to draw a clear line on what is or isn't unsportsmanlike. I may think a player doing XYZ may be unsportsmanlike, but another umpire may let it go.

We're all adults here, and we know when we're acting like a d-bag (perhaps some better than others). Just play the game.

Mmartini

Okay, yes, my answer was a little flippant. I guess it's because it's really hard to draw a clear line on what is or isn't unsportsmanlike. I may think a player doing XYZ may be unsportsmanlike, but another umpire may let it go.

We're all adults here, and we know when we're acting like a d-bag (perhaps some better than others). Just play the game.

We play 5 man and face a batter that consistently hits to the opposite side of 2b than where the middle infielder is positioned. Knowing this, I had my middle infielder start on the right field side of 2b and then walk over to the left field side as the pitch was in the air. There was no intent of unsportsmanlike conduct or distraction. Is this legal? (We made the out and the batter complained about the movement)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
We play 5 man and face a batter that consistently hits to the opposite side of 2b than where the middle infielder is positioned. Knowing this, I had my middle infielder start on the right field side of 2b and then walk over to the left field side as the pitch was in the air. There was no intent of unsportsmanlike conduct or distraction. Is this legal? (We made the out and the batter complained about the movement)

Sounds fine to me.