ASA RD vs Utrip RD??

SteveO.

I want your RD28's!
I finally got to put a few swings on my Utrip RD and am wondering what others think who have swung both.

I found the Utrip to be less flexy with a stiffer barrel and didn't have noticeably more pop than the ASA. If anything, I was hitting better shots with the ASA although I'm not sure how many hits the Utrip has on it as I got it used. It looks broken in, but I'm not sure. I was hoping to be blown away by the Utrip but for most of my AB's tonight in an NSA game, I swung the ASA RD and left the Utrip on the fence.

What have you guys found that have swung both?

kreationz

Addicted to Softballfans
Ive gotten more pop out of my RDU than the RDASA, both bats were well broken in too. The 2 bats definitely have a different feel to it. I agree about the RDU being less flexy and a more crisp barrel.

I started out swinging the RDU then tried out the RDASA, seems like you started out the other way around. Maybe we are just used to the bats we started out with.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
have you only hit it in games?

while that makes sense to be your ultimate decision maker, i find it REALLY tough to compare bats in a game. typically, the bat i hit best in games is the one i think i'll hit best in games. i've had better luck actually comparing bats in BP, when my confidence level doesn't really come into play.

jackrook

Addicted to Softballfans
i play in a league where the only illegal bat is the Ultra. one guy swings a Combat senior bat, 3 guys swing the utrip one, me and the rest of the copy caters swing my utrip rd and blow them away. i hit 2 home runs wednesday to dead center a 385 and one 1-hopped the fence and the other 2 hopped the fence. ohhhhhh forgot this guy was swinging a 26oz Booger and he put it down to swing my RD and hit a HR. we play in an unlimited HR league. its alot of fun.

1ahn1

Addicted to Softballfans
My assessment is pretty much the same. Utrip definitely stiffer than ASA, also the barrel isn't as soft as the ASA version. I sold & traded 3 of them recently to SteveO & Jackrook. I kept my 26oz utrip, but use my ASA RD and Juice over the utrip RD.

SteveO- the used utrip RD I sent you isn't broken in yet. You definitely want to get as much BP in.

JackRook- are you using the new utrip RD I sold you or one you already had?

justwhippin

Addicted to Softballfans
Give that Utrip RD about 300 to 500 cuts to break in.I had both and at first the asa was better before the Utrip one broke in.Give that baby the proper break-in and watch the ball fly ,and no the asa one cant touch it once broken in.

jackrook

Addicted to Softballfans
My assessment is pretty much the same. Utrip definitely stiffer than ASA, also the barrel isn't as soft as the ASA version. I sold & traded 3 of them recently to SteveO & Jackrook. I kept my 26oz utrip, but use my ASA RD and Juice over the utrip RD.

SteveO- the used utrip RD I sent you isn't broken in yet. You definitely want to get as much BP in.

JackRook- are you using the new utrip RD I sold you or one you already had?

im using the one you sold me. me and MPT23 took it out for a BP session and put about 300 hits on it. IT IS ON FIRE RIGHT NOW. once my team saw what i did, they all picked it up. im looking for another 28oz and a 30oz. but i also have a J2 utrip "in transit" from OTC. good guy.

SteveO.

I want your RD28's!
have you only hit it in games?

No, two of us were out testing some new bats yesterday in BP and I wanted to swing some of my own and swung the RD for about 50-60 hits but didn't see the same performance as my ASA RD. It was pretty close, but not better.

I'll hit it a bunch again on Monday if I can't get out to BP before then. I may take 100 cuts off the tee tonight to warm it up a bit more. Thanks again for the bats. :)

Give that Utrip RD about 300 to 500 cuts to break in.I had both and at first the asa was better before the Utrip one broke in.Give that baby the proper break-in and watch the ball fly ,and no the asa one cant touch it once broken in.

Glad to hear it will get hotter, I just wish the barrel was softer like the ASA. Right now I can't justify swinging it with my ASA as hot as it is but hopefully it'll surprise me.

jackrook

Addicted to Softballfans
Just wait...I put about 300 hits on the NIW I got from 1ahn1. Now guys on my team put down their booger and utrip One for this bat. You'll love it. Just give it more time.

B17

Where's Larsen?
You need to put more hits on the Utrip RD. Once it breaks in, there is no comparison between the two in distance and exit speed.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
have you guys noticed a difference depending on what softballs you're hitting?

reason i say this is because with our ASA game balls (gold dots) my juggy is about even with my OTC, but when hitting Evil BP's, the OTC is on a whole other level. I was trying out an U2 last BP and after i put a few on the road with the U2 i switched the OTC and put a couple OVER the road.

i'm just wondering if the softer barrel of the ASA RD works better with certain softballs, and the stiffer barrel of the utrip works better for others. could explain why some guys are finding it so much better than others.

until i hit my OTC with 'normal' softballs i thought it was absolutely rediculous

Dannybaseball5

They call me Nails
i always felt that the asa RD felt like the endload was at the very end....whereas the RDU feels like the whole barrel is 'heavy'...if that makes sense. You are spot on about the flex and the barrel crispness....but you will end up getting way more distance and pop out of the u-trip

MPT23

Putting on the foil
Jack is tripping

i play in a league where the only illegal bat is the Ultra. one guy swings a Combat senior bat, 3 guys swing the utrip one, me and the rest of the copy caters swing my utrip rd and blow them away. i hit 2 home runs wednesday to dead center a 385 and one 1-hopped the fence and the other 2 hopped the fence. ohhhhhh forgot this guy was swinging a 26oz Booger and he put it down to swing my RD and hit a HR. we play in an unlimited HR league. its alot of fun.

Were you smoking PCP before the game? I remember dropping a massive bomb with my gray combat. The only one out hitting me was you. Your RD is definately game ready but your recall of the other night is s***.

MPT23

Putting on the foil
asa versus utrip RDs

I found that both bats swing relatively the same. Didnt notice any significant differences betwwen the two. Ive hit the utrip about 200 times during 1 bp session and the asa RD is my asa gamer and NOTHING could get me to put that down for a different bat. I like both bats very much. Just waiting on jackrook to get his 30 oz. utrip RD, so he can sell me his 28. Just my experience and my .02, for what it is worth.

jackrook

Addicted to Softballfans
Were you smoking PCP before the game? I remember dropping a massive bomb with my gray combat. The only one out hitting me was you. Your RD is definately game ready but your recall of the other night is s***.

it was the pcp. should i stop using it before games? or just share during games?

jackrook

Addicted to Softballfans
I found that both bats swing relatively the same. Didnt notice any significant differences betwwen the two. Ive hit the utrip about 200 times during 1 bp session and the asa RD is my asa gamer and NOTHING could get me to put that down for a different bat. I like both bats very much. Just waiting on jackrook to get his 30 oz. utrip RD, so he can sell me his 28. Just my experience and my .02, for what it is worth.

its only worth .01 in my book, you grip theif!!!

SteveO.

I want your RD28's!
I went out today and put 80 more hits on the utrip rd and it hit some great liners but still no better than my Asa. I should get another 100 hits tomorrow though and we'll see what happens. Definitely a stiffer barrel and less flex on the Utrip.

MPT23

Putting on the foil
it was the pcp. should i stop using it before games? or just share during games?

The use of PCP before games is only condoned when you include the other PCP user on the team. Did you see the size of that chicken ? BOOM ! BOOM !