ASA rule question????

What is the National rule for ASA in regards to the pitching count?

we played states yesterday and we started with a 1-1 count and didn't get a courtesy foul. That didn't seem right...did they change to that this year?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

we played states yesterday and we started with a 1-1 count and didn't get a courtesy foul. That didn't seem right...did they change to that this year?

ASA has never had a courtesy foul.

Local leagues are free to adopt it, but I think they're ridiculous.

I have never been to a national that is 1-1 no courtesy...what is the national rule? Do you have a full 4 ball 3 strikes to work with?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I have never been to a national that is 1-1 no courtesy...what is the national rule? Do you have a full 4 ball 3 strikes to work with?

With the exception of Senior Slow Pitch, every batter starts with a 1-1 count. No courtesy foul.

That is the rule for ASA Championship Play (ie., Nationals).

jaj23

Eye Baller
I don't like the courtesy foul either. It slows down the game. If your 1B, 3B, LF, RF are smart they will take a step or two away from the line once the batter has two strikes.

With the exception of Senior Slow Pitch, every batter starts with a 1-1 count. No courtesy foul.

That is the rule for ASA Championship Play (ie., Nationals).

Is this a recent rule change? I didn't play ASA Nationals in 2010, but in 2009 it was not 1-1 no courtesy.

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, we just played our state tournament (Won it, by the way :) ) and it was 1-1, with no extra foul.... NSA and ASA have played with that same rule all year long...

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

THE ASA RULE for adult SP except Senior is that the batter enters the box with a 1-1 count. Never has been a courtesy foul.

The purpose of the rule was to encourage the offense to put the ball into play.