ASA ASA Standins Tie Breaker Question

cjangeloni1986

Addicted to Softballfans
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. With this being the last week of our rec league there are many possibilities of several tied for second after the weeks over. As I was reading the rules for the tie breaker I couldn't tell how to fully interpret it.
Our rules/steps for tie breakers:
3. In case of two or more teams tied, the following procedures will be followed to determine final league standings.
a. Any team with a forfeit during the regular season automatically loses all ties.
b. Team with the best record in head to head competition against all other teams involved in the tie. The team MUST beat all other teams tied in standings.
c. Teams with the better winning percentage in head-to-head competition against all other teams involved in the tie. Seeds will be determined off winning percentage(s).
d. Team with the better winning percentage in head-to-head competition against team(s) ranked above the tied teams in standings will be used as determining factor.
e. Team with the least amount of runs allowed against all other teams within the league will be used.
f. Coin toss will be used to determine seeds.
Scenario:
Three teams are tied with the same record.
One of those teams had a forfeit during the season.

Would you include the team that had a forfeit in step B even though they lose all tie breakers or would you exclude them?

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
This is a question you should ask of your league...this is not an umpire question. They wrote the rule, they should know best how to interpret the rule.

antneeb3

Addicted to Softballfans
But B says "against all other teams involved in the tie". I'd say the team with the forfeit is involved in scenarios but just can't be a higher seed than the other 2.

As it's written, the team that had a forfeit doesn't move on to step B

bestbatstats

I don't love the forfeit rule, but at least it's written.

In our league, our team tied with the record 9-2, but we beat the other team both times. They still gave both teams "winning" shirts. The director didn't have any rules, he just said he'll decide what happens. At least your league has structure.

Last edited: