ASA to move to 1.20BPF bat standard

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
I'm hearing this is picking up momentum at a state level.

MO has adopted it, using .44/275 balls or the last state tourney was this way. (so I was told by a participant)

I wonder how much of this is local leagues using NSA bats with ASA rules...

I've never seen a .44/275.

Rule changes are proposed and passed in the November meetings. If and when a change is made, it will be posted here within minutes.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
This has happened at a state and local level in some places, I think the chances of ASA adopting this fully is low, still as TW said wait for November to be sure.

Also FWIW the 52/300 ball is the only one that ASA has also made legal and there is a good chance that either this year or next it will be the only legal ASA ball.

jasonhud

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes the question on everyone's mind

Yes MO state did adopt it (the 52/300 that is), but I think it was based on the fact they wanted to see how the ball would perform with the Utrip sticks. Do I think they will do it for league play, sure if the league director is okay with doing it. Will all league directors adopt this way of thinking, probably not. All I know, is that if down the road in Jeff City a half hour away they are allowing Utrip sticks, and here in Columbia they aren't, I know where most will play next year. That being said, I have also heard the Utrip sticks haven't made that much difference with the new ball. The only thing I've heard is learn to cut the ball and you'll be okay.

Homer5

mmmm donuts
Yes MO state did adopt it (the 52/300 that is), but I think it was based on the fact they wanted to see how the ball would perform with the Utrip sticks. Do I think they will do it for league play, sure if the league director is okay with doing it. Will all league directors adopt this way of thinking, probably not. All I know, is that if down the road in Jeff City a half hour away they are allowing Utrip sticks, and here in Columbia they aren't, I know where most will play next year. That being said, I have also heard the Utrip sticks haven't made that much difference with the new ball. The only thing I've heard is learn to cut the ball and you'll be okay.

yea in Rolla we use usssa bats.. the head of asa Missouri runs our league says he sees asa changing it across the board next yr.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
yea in Rolla we use usssa bats.. the head of asa Missouri runs our league says he sees asa changing it across the board next yr.

His guess is as good as mine. I bet nothing changes, except for the .52/300 ball becoming the official ball and doing away with the .44/375 ball.

beernbombs

Abby's dad

Columbia will use the rules set by the national ASA. Teams that are going down to Jeff City to play are doing so to play in a DH league, or simply because of cost. It has nothing to do with bat/ball rules. (Other than Field of Legends being an NSA park)

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
I'm hearing this is picking up momentum at a state level.

MO has adopted it, using .44/275 balls or the last state tourney was this way. (so I was told by a participant)

I wonder how much of this is local leagues using NSA bats with ASA rules...

I meant 52/275

snacks

I meant 52/275

you still sure you don't mean 52/300?

he should be if he heard this from a participant at the state tourny......it was confirmed in this thread already........ASA MO State tourny used the 52/300 ball with utrip/nsa bats. It did not make that much of a difference, ball did bounce a little more and knuckle in the OF.

Missouri ASA and St.Louis Area ASA are for the most part separate so I don't see it changing here in the metro area. Should it? yes because more people would play asa

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
he should be if he heard this from a participant at the state tourny......it was confirmed in this thread already........ASA MO State tourny used the 52/300 ball with utrip/nsa bats. It did not make that much of a difference, ball did bounce a little more and knuckle in the OF.

Missouri ASA and St.Louis Area ASA are for the most part separate so I don't see it changing here in the metro area. Should it? yes because more people would play asa

I play ASA in Collinsville, IL and for the past three years we've used NSA bats with .44/375 Super Gold Dot Worth Balls.

I think it's the umps eliminating the banned list for ASA, which as a LD I'd prolly do the same.

snacks

I play ASA in Collinsville, IL and for the past three years we've used NSA bats with .44/375 Super Gold Dot Worth Balls.

I think it's the umps eliminating the banned list for ASA, which as a LD I'd prolly do the same.

Woodland park? I've played a tourny there.....

I play in Georgia in an ASA leauge. We can use utrip bats and hit 44/375 balls. My other ASA leauges though still don't allow utrip bats.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
ASA has made no such announcement regarding the allowance of bats that are currently non-approved. The annual council is in November, so we'll all have to wait and see.

As an umpire, I would love nothing more than to have to check bats for cracks, dents, burrs and rattles and just leave it at that. The problem becomes the fact that the .52/300 ball is only approved for slow pitch, which leaves modified and fast pitch out. We've all heard stories of umpires having enough of a hard time with just one non-approved list. Do we really want two?

It'll be interesting, to say the least.

B~TOWN

Addicted to Softballfans
I think it's all part off there testing program . Fact is ASA is looking into making the 52/300 ball maditory so if that happens bat specs should change . I think there using 1.20 bats as a general starting point to get information on how a different spec bat reacts with the 52/300 ball . From info gathered no asa or utrip bat hits the 52/300 ball even close to 98 mph so here's where the queastion really lies will they create a new 98 spec and all older modles will be obsolete or just keep the curret spec out and call it good . ASA is a business and not going to go nazi and ban a bunch of bats knowing it would loose them a ton of money and allow smaller assoc to take over .

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
I'm rooting for the change. We don't hit a ton in our league (though there are a few monster swingers), for there to be a HR issue.

Country35

Banned User
agreed, they are changing the balls instead of the bats, which is what they should have done from the very beginning.

with asa currently testing against his theory, and utrip basically signing off on 1.2 for another large amount of time, I dont get where he can pull that info from myself. Balls are indeed the answer (no homo)

snacks

with asa currently testing against his theory, and utrip basically signing off on 1.2 for another large amount of time, I dont get where he can pull that info from myself. Balls are indeed the answer (no homo)

avy says otherwise.........lol