ASA vs USSSA va DUAL STAMPED BATS??

Don1952

Addicted to Softballfans
A questions for the knowledgeable people.

The newer ASA only bats are being especially made to hit the 52/275 balls.Does this mean that you would get better distance with an ASA only bat compare to a USSSA thumbprint bat when hitting the 52/275's? If this is true is the dual stamped bats any better then a thumbprint bat without an ASA stamp on it ?

Inquiring people would like to know on this boring day.

Don

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
You will have different opinions on this, some will say yes you get better distance with asa only bats some will beg to differ. It all comes down to how you hit and what your opinion is

Hiltz

Built for comfort
When we switched to .52's years ago, we could swing ASA or USSSA and everybody and their dog was raving about the ASA 2013 bats. Everywhere you looked were Combat Derby Boys and J3A's. The next year there was one guy still swinging his DBA and almost everybody else had a DC41, Triad, or a Worth Legit. Some guys actually went back to their old ASA 2004 bats.

dunkky

i tell you my own experience based on the ones i tried. many of the asa bats will out hit utrip bats hitting 52s. not all, but many of them.
some will have different experience.

when it comes to dual stamp. i only tried Omega and Omega II. What i noticed, they hit very well either 52s and hard balls. If not equal, it's pretty damn close to one stamp only bats performance-wise. Even in performance, we are talking about 5 to 10ft difference at most for my swing power.

Only problem with my experience is that, my sampling is too small...

In my experience, which is limited, the dual stamps will keep up with any bat as far as the 52s go. The only problem is the amount of break in that they seem to need to get there. Mind you my experience is mostly speaking from ComBats, but a well broken in dual stamp will definitely hold its own. I think it boils down to compression thresholds. Once it’s there at the limit it’s there. Theoretically all bats reach a certain limit no matter the stamp once they reach that threshold. From brand to brand there may be a difference, but the performance threshold is what it is no matter the particular stamp. Some of my most memorable hits have been with dual stamp Wanted, Legends Plague, and Derby boy 275.

ShortYellowBus

Firstly, watch the video. The results may vary due to the skill level of the player swinging the bat. That’s important to know.

Heres my opinion on the subject.

USSSA stamps are usually linear bats. The non-linear UTrip stuff is garbage.

USSSA is upper skilled levels of softball. They use the harder Classic M balls, and all those UTrip bats simply crush that ball.

I like to think ASA/USA leagues are beginners leagues hitting performance restricted 52/300 and 40/275 balls, which is why the non-linear bat tech is more commonplace there. The lower skill players can fully take advantage of non-linear bats.

Dual stamp bats are all linear bats, but it’s my opinion that developing and manufacturing high performance dual stamp bats is costly. It’s probably why bat companies aren’t making great dual stamps anymore; all the new stuff is forgettable.

And there’s more incentive for the bat companies if the consumers have to purchase an USSSA and an ASA/USA bat.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think all the dual stamp bats are just utrip bats. Why design a whole new bat if last years utrip design passes both?

dunkky

The whole thing is just damn stupid game the organization is playing for their greediness.

one association, one association bat, one association ball, one association rule is all we need with absolutely no damage done from any aspect of the game itself. This whole mess is nothing but to manufacture more ways to generate money for their pockets. pitiful.

or someone explain to me what's the need of so many damn assocation.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
The whole thing is just damn stupid game the organization is playing for their greediness.

one association, one association bat, one association ball, one association rule is all we need with absolutely no damage done from any aspect of the game itself. This whole mess is nothing but to manufacture more ways to generate money for their pockets. pitiful.

You've given this way more thought than it deserves. Play because you enjoy the game. Unless you're getting paid to play none of the financial and political aspect of this matters.

As far as bats go the best advice is to not treat them like an investment. There used to be a picture of some dude that had like over 100 old stamp Combats laid out on his living room. I bet you he lost his ass once the thumbprint was enforced.

Last edited:

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Generally speaking, an ASA bat will out perform a USSSA bat with an ASA ball and all factors being equal (weighting, break-in, etc).

Dual stamps are so hit or miss anymore. Top tier dual stamps are just as good as a good USSSA bat.

Unless you play 2 associations and only want one bat, I would strongly suggest getting one for each sanction. A GOOD dual stamp won't necessarily put you at a disadvantage but you'll be leaving some performance on the table in ASA play.

Last edited:

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
When we switched to .52's years ago, we could swing ASA or USSSA and everybody and their dog was raving about the ASA 2013 bats. Everywhere you looked were Combat Derby Boys and J3A's. The next year there was one guy still swinging his DBA and almost everybody else had a DC41, Triad, or a Worth Legit. Some guys actually went back to their old ASA 2004 bats.

Sanctioned USA/ASA play in Missouri allows the use of any 1.20 BPF (USSSA/NSA) or ASA stamped bat not on a small banned list, which is most of the old U2's and Easton stuff. So many people just grab a their broken in USSSA bats and jump in the box. Myself included. Any time you can swing one bat for everything it's going to do nothing but help consistency. I'd rather have peace of mind of knowing I'm comfortable with a bat than worrying about a few extra feet of distance. I'm not sure I've ever hit a ball and then thought to myself "I should have used an ASA bat". Hitters get hits. Not bats.

Don1952

Addicted to Softballfans
The reason I started this post was because I saw a 2020 Helmer Blueline USSSA and a 2020 Helmer Dually on a website where the dually was selling for $30 less. I was wondering if the Dually was basically the same bat as the USSSA. Plus I was bored.

D-ROCK13

The 2015ish to 2018ish dual stamp Combats hit as well as either usssa or asa counterparts. I've swung most of them until they busted or broke in half and always enjoyed the dual stamps for any ball. I do believe most asa bats will hit the .52s a little better than the u-trip versions but the opposite for harder balls from my experience. BP Hero is absolutely spot on though, players get hits, not bats....

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

Sand bagging. I'm certain the second association started because the first made someone play up. That or some other butt hurt reason.

Last edited:

BruceinGa

always online
Dual stamp bats are all linear bats, but it’s my opinion that developing and manufacturing high performance dual stamp bats is costly. It’s probably why bat companies aren’t making great dual stamps anymore; all the new stuff is forgettable.
What do you mean "forgettable"?
This is the first that I've heard linear and non-linear. My bat speed is upper 70's to mid 80's I it appears a linear bat wouldn't be my better choice.
I don't mean to hijack this thread, maybe I should start one on the senior forum.

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential
Sanctioned USA/ASA play in Missouri allows the use of any 1.20 BPF (USSSA/NSA) or ASA stamped bat not on a small banned list, which is most of the old U2's and Easton stuff. So many people just grab a their broken in USSSA bats and jump in the box. Myself included. Any time you can swing one bat for everything it's going to do nothing but help consistency. I'd rather have peace of mind of knowing I'm comfortable with a bat than worrying about a few extra feet of distance. I'm not sure I've ever hit a ball and then thought to myself "I should have used an ASA bat". Hitters get hits. Not bats.

Same here in one of my leagues (I mean, when we actually used to play haha); we hit 52/300's and can use any USA or USSSA bat and most people swing their U-Trip bats. I swing my USSSA bats also as it's about comfort for me because I rarely play any USA ball. Even though my USA bats are made for the softer ball, I don't swing them that often.

-G

Hagen49

The reason I started this post was because I saw a 2020 Helmer Blueline USSSA and a 2020 Helmer Dually on a website where the dually was selling for $30 less. I was wondering if the Dually was basically the same bat as the USSSA. Plus I was bored.

I wanna try that Dually for sure. It seems like it's a FireFlex 3 or 4 adapted to clear the ASA standards as well. I'm definitely interested in seeing how it compares to my other FF bats.

thevipofdbz

Damme 00mega
I have a Omega 2 and hit the old ASA ball 44 375 good, have not hit one of the newer low comp balls.... They all need to bring back the 47 525 type ball and everything would be hot as a fire cracker

r8dr_rider

I have a Omega 2 and hit the old ASA ball 44 375 good, have not hit one of the newer low comp balls.... They all need to bring back the 47 525 type ball and everything would be hot as a fire cracker
It’s all about safety now bro. Like wearing masks and being a sheep.

ShortYellowBus

It takes less skill to not get hurt with 52/300 balls. USA/ASA is safer. Liability is key.

Outfielders who play beer league that were unskilled enough to track a ball in the air and got smashed in the face with the harder balls usually ended up in the hospital. This common occurrence presents a risk for cities who own the parks.

We’ve all seen it happen in USA/ASA.

tonys1

Fair enough yeah, saw a guy get a ricochet .44 off the top of the head last night - there was blood.

dunkky

only thing i dislike about usssa is their strike zone. some of the umps here don't know how to make good calls. everytime I see conference games, those umps are very good and consistent. Ours sucks. A flat pitch with hardly no arc that passes through knee-high is not a strike.