B3 & L4 side by side balance points

JohnKir

Manager
So I put these two side by side and this is what I found. Both are 27oz, stock grips.
image_zps8cd92365.jpg

image_zpsaee6a071.jpg

JohnKir

Manager
its a kids table and the edges arent perfect but it cant throw it off that much could it? the L4 is like 3/4 in further out

JohnKir

Manager
They are completely different barrel lengths making comparison vague and difficult.

I get that but, I thought an end load would put the balance point further out on the barrel and balanced would be more towards the handle. So side by side shouldn't the balanced be sticking out further?

murc

I get that but, I thought an end load would put the balance point further out on the barrel and balanced would be more towards the handle. So side by side shouldn't the balanced be sticking out further?

Yes. Easton endloads are a bit flaky at times. #Chinamade

BullFrog21

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes. Easton endloads are a bit flaky at times. #Chinamade

I Believe this is the answer. Ive held a 27 NIW and 28 NIW L4 in my hands( off the Local bat trailor Saturday) at the same time and they both felt identical.....

Then seeing another 27 L4 on the rack I Put the 28 down and compared the two 27's....and they did not feel the same...

I Think the 3 rd shift chinamen Put less EL in the Bat they make, as opposed to second shift??? This is the only answer I can come up with!?

JohnKir

Manager
The reason I posted this was because I was expecting the exact opposite. Regardless of barrel lengths, they are both the same length and weight. Correct me if my physics is wrong, but the bat with its balance point closer to the endcap is technically more "endloaded". Whether that weight is in the endcap or in the barrel itself I do not know. That is probably the case, with the weight in the barrel of the b3 and in the end in the l4. From swinging both of these bats I did not notice very much of an endload in the l4 and I would never have called the b3 endloaded. I just wanted to throw my findings out there.

JohnKir

Manager
I just did the table test with the l4 and an srv5(also 27) and they were exactly the same point. That's probably more useful than all the previous posts

ssocubs

Addicted to Softballfans
Can someone do the same test comparing one of the raw sticks next to its utrip counterpart?

The shape and length of the barrel have no effect on how a bat swings assuming the weight is equal and centered at the same point. If you took (numbers given are just as an example) a 4 oz aluminum rod and put a 10oz weight 34is inches away, with your eyes closed it would feel the same during the rotational part of your swing as a B3 would.

Where the sweet spot is on the barrel is really why some of us like 12" or "13" barrels.

I wouldnt say Easton is being disingeniuous but, technically a bat could be "balanced" with say a 3 oz load in the knob and a three oz load in the endcap and thus could be described as either balanced or having a three oz endload....

The second best thing bat companies are good at is making bats, the first is marketing.... which is why I have a B3, L4 and L6 :)

Last edited:

Spackler

...got that goin for me
I have an L4 27, SCX3 28, SRV3 28, and X2, the all balance at the same point +/- 0.1" (20.0" from the knob end).

My L4 28 balances at 20.25". Feels endloaded, especially for an Easton, but I've had plenty of other bats balance at least 1" further out (Green Catty 27, OG Mizunos, Combat DB ASA)

This is useful info as I like the way my SCX3 28oz feels.....so L4 next I guess.