Bad night story

Softball.com:

bigjoe21

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure if anyone posted this but the about 2 weeks ago a player of ours lost his eye.

He was sliding into 2nd base when the SS relayed the ball, the 2nd basemen missed it and it hit him right in the left eye socket. It caused unrepairable damage to his eye and he had to have it removed.

Sucks it happened to someone so young and talented. All I can say is protect your face when your running the bases.

philphan89

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure if anyone posted this but the about 2 weeks ago a player of ours lost his eye.

He was sliding into 2nd base when the SS relayed the ball, the 2nd basemen missed it and it hit him right in the left eye socket. It caused unrepairable damage to his eye and he had to have it removed.

Sucks it happened to someone so young and talented. All I can say is protect your face when your running the bases.

wow man that is terrible. thats why I wear a helmet now

wink

Winkleton
Oh man that's horrible.
Best wishes to him.
I always cover/protect my face when coming into a base if it looks like a close throw. I put my wrist over the ear facing the direction the ball is coming from, so my forearm, bicep and elbow block my face and head. I always get team mates making fun of it, but this story right here is why!

josutton00

Addicted to Softballfans
THat horrible. Any time i slide into a bag i go into the feedle position immediatly so i can protect myself from the ball or the baseman falling on me

eHall

Base burglar
That really sucks. There are inherent risks associated with any type of sport, especially lower level rec softball. But life altering injuries such as this are still quite rare.

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree. Whatever you do in life their is a certain amount of risk involved, probably more so with all of us who play softball and in any given season there must be at least 100 times we all could have been struck in the face by either a second baseman or third baseman.
I hope your friend continues to play next year, with a helmet and mask -I think i am going to do the same thing.I have been hearing more and more about these face injuries lately.

Fishstick5

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow, I don't even know what to say

I saw a guy get hit in the eyebrow, to think if it were lower this could have been him

dirkdiggler2321

Part Time Player
yeah always put your arm up and turn your head away, its not worth it. i've actually been hit in the arm alot of times that would have hit my temple, so this is just a reminder to us. best wishes.

ns09

Addicted to Softballfans
I was hit in the back of the head going into 3rd on a throw from the 2nd basemen the last game of the year I played. I was fine, a little dizzy but was uninjured. Could have been a lot worse that is for sure.