Bad Umps and Good Pitchers.

bigcountry77

Addicted to Softballfans
Had an ump Thursday when I asked him 6-12 or 5-10 he told me it could be 3'6" as long as it crossed the strike zone. I tried to put some in low and flat but he told me to put a hump on them.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
Had an ump Thursday when I asked him 6-12 or 5-10 he told me it could be 3'6" as long as it crossed the strike zone. I tried to put some in low and flat but he told me to put a hump on them.

Both are wrong if it was ASA (which is 6' to 10'). I would have then told the ump he needs to read up on the rule book.

Laoch

Bearded. Drunk. Dominant.
^^^This. Hate it when the umps play "invisible mat ball".... usually means they're too lazy (or ignorant) to learn the strike zone. Goes along with my other pet peeve when I hear the ump call pitches "deep".... uh, there's no such thing in the ASA rule book.

We get a lot of that "deep" and they motion their hand on their shoulders, like they're scratching.

TEX1959

Addicted to Softballfans
Throw a cookie that lands right behind the point of the plate, hard for the umpire to not call it a strike.

i call bs on this
one of the worse umpires where we play, i laid one up there that fit that description, when he didnt call it, i asked him what was wrong with that one.
i was expecting him to say either flat or too high. his response...it was outside. took the batter a bit to recover from laughing on that one.

blurex

Most Hated #33
Good pitchers will pitch where the umpire calls strikes...it frustrating when you have to change your pitch because some ump does not call your strike but that's how it goes... Pitch meat balls and play d... Umps control the strike zone so you learn to give them what they want...when you throw strikes that the umpire just wont call or is completely blowing the call...this means he does not like you personally so let some one else pitch... :)

Galpejos56

Addicted to Softballfans
If you can't hit the zone then switch out with another guy. If you feel like your hitting the zone and not getting the call then in between innings go ask the ump what's up. If he tells you with out any attitude and is cool about it then try and make the adjustment. If he is a Richard then just switch out with another guy.

jrhenry24

Show!
I pitch Asa. There's a plate and mat. Can't really make a bad call either way. Either it hits or it doesn't

Haha you would think so. League i play might call the high pitch once it hits 25'. Its about 50/50. And several times per season they call strikes on balls that dont hit the mat. I actuallyi saw one of our umps at second base of the yankees game last night.

RobinMichaels

Addicted to Softballfans
Good pitchers will pitch where the umpire calls strikes...it frustrating when you have to change your pitch because some ump does not call your strike but that's how it goes... Pitch meat balls and play d... Umps control the strike zone so you learn to give them what they want...when you throw strikes that the umpire just wont call or is completely blowing the call...this means he does not like you personally so let some one else pitch... :)

This always again is at the discretion of the ump. I got one so pissed that he would stare me down without even looking at the pitch and called all balls for the inning. The other team caught on after the 2nd walk and just stood there. You could even see the other team snickering about it. After the ump called 'ball' on the next 12 pitches the other team started swinging. My catcher was ready to level the ump. I just had him use his cleats to clean out all areas behind and in front of the plate so every ball left a nice ball mark. If it was a ball he would be able to point right to where it landed and ask what he was looking at instead of the pitch.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a player a few weeks ago ask me where a pitch was on a called strike........I told him......in the strike zone.

Joel

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
That's what I meant by apron. I'd LOVE that, but our city only uses them in the developmental COED leagues.

I hear what you are saying but we use a mat all the time and it's actually quite annoying. Our umps, save a few, don't even think about the height. They simply wait to see if the ball hits the plate or the mat. It's quite frustrating but either way you go, it could be frustrating.

I miss the days when we had a mat....added a whole lot to the pitching bag. We've have been doing the 6-10 chest/knees zone for about 6 -7 years now for ASA.

I love going out of town where this is the case. It's easier to hit than the plate & mat combo when the umps let the pitchers push 12-15 ft in a 6-10 tourney.

I had a player a few weeks ago ask me where a pitch was on a called strike........I told him......in the strike zone.

Joel

Well played.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
We had one for a tourney out here, had a crazy strike zone, but was kinda consistent with it. Couldn't ask him about it, if you did you would get a warning, and any other word out of your mouth in his direction you were gone. Took me about 2 innings to find what he would call strikes regularly, and I threw it there, or just threw it where the batters would swing. Outside of that, there is nothing you really can do

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
We had one for a tourney out here, had a crazy strike zone, but was kinda consistent with it. Couldn't ask him about it, if you did you would get a warning, and any other word out of your mouth in his direction you were gone. Took me about 2 innings to find what he would call strikes regularly, and I threw it there, or just threw it where the batters would swing. Outside of that, there is nothing you really can do

What a tool.

Unfortunately, positions that come with power or authority can attract people who deserve neither. These are the people that give the entire group a bad name.

g8orguy

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone ever wonder why they kept the shape of the plate the same for slowpitch? I get it for fastpitch and for baseball... but in slowpitch you're taking away valuable real estate by keeping the point on homeplate.