Ball Exit speed

BSBR

Starting Player
I think he was asking what people consider to be a decent exit speed with .52's, in your opinion.

58 posts later he has 1 straight answer.

This.

Can't call people morons or say you never mentioned homeruns when you very specifically cited 300'. You didn't pick 300' because that's the distance to the outfield grass.

I also can actually say I did not mention HR's, because I didn't mention HR's, pretty sure that's how words work

Sorry for being a moron, however, your original post is moronic. Exit speed is only a small part of what goes into hitting. 75mph = 300' if other factors are thrown in, wind direction and speed, launch angle, etc. As mentioned before, exit speeds under 75mph have resulted in HRs. So, what is the question really asking? So I'm a moron, but you're asking a common-sense question to which you should know the answer.
If you can hit the ball hard and consistent, you'll be ok. As I've said before, you're too caught up on a number. If you start at a certain number, and it goes up, your hard work is paying off. smh.

You ask what is the question really asking, The question I'm really asking is, "What would be considered a decent ball exit speed on .52s, in your opinion?" As it was the original question, once again pretty sure that's how words work.

that most people on here are idiots and have no clue what they are talking about?

Yes, including me, I'm an idiot for posting thinking I'd get some decent input from people.

I'm out, since all the genius's on here can't answer a simple question and can only spout sweet gems like, "If you can hit the ball hard and consistent you'll be okay" and "A HR only has to clear the fence. It doesn't have to go 400'"

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Genius's.

Words work In a lot of ways. Imply is a very handy word too. Like how everything in your op implies your main concern is hrs.

68 is a good speed. Aim for that.

Jomatty

Starting Player
Wood bats are really the only option for a 260' field.

A couple parks around here are 250' and still use composite and .44 375s. I've never played there, and I don't want to. It wouldn't even be fun.
We have some 250 ft fields. It has been so much better since we went to wood bats almost 10 years ago.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Late to the party here.

From the messing around that I’ve done with the radar with ASA balls and bats the average players seems to be anywhere from 75-80. From what I've seen, for 75 mph to go 300' would have to be almost perfect spin and trajectory.

Ken Van Bogaert claims every 3 mph is worth about 15' of distance if I remember correctly. 75 mph would be flirting with the 300' mark and 90 would be somewhere in the 375' range. I can muster up low to mid 90's on the radar and I'm good for about 375' if I get every bit of my swing into a ball (doesn't happen often, trust me).

I did an experiment with 2 of the same bats in the same weights. One passing compression and one way below it. Hitting them side by side for nothing but distance they were about 30-40' apart. On the radar they were 4-5 mph apart on average. Which surprised me that's all the margin was. Human consistency is still the biggest variable here. Keep that in mind.

I suppose it all depends on which way you dice it, but I'd be way more worried with a consistent radar number than worrying about what the high is. Seeing clips of guys lighting up the radar for a big number is cool and all but what's the average out of the 5 swings before and after that big number?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I did an experiment with 2 of the same bats in the same weights. One passing compression and one way below it. Hitting them side by side for nothing but distance they were about 30-40' apart. On the radar they were 4-5 mph apart on average. Which surprised me that's all the margin was. Human consistency is still the biggest variable here.

^^^ This is the kind of thing I'm into, collecting and analyzing data, experimenting, etc.

I did a similar test with bats in multiple weights. I normally swing 28 but I tried some 26's and 30's. Highest speeds were with my 28's but even though I felt awkward with the 26 and 30's, my exit speeds were only 3-5mph lower.

The best thing about hitting in a cage with a radar though is just going out with some buddies and making it a friendly competition. Kinda like those virtual golf dealies where you hit into a screen. Don't take it too seriously and just play with it.

BSBR

Starting Player
Late to the party here.

From the messing around that I’ve done with the radar with ASA balls and bats the average players seems to be anywhere from 75-80. From what I've seen, for 75 mph to go 300' would have to be almost perfect spin and trajectory.

Ken Van Bogaert claims every 3 mph is worth about 15' of distance if I remember correctly. 75 mph would be flirting with the 300' mark and 90 would be somewhere in the 375' range. I can muster up low to mid 90's on the radar and I'm good for about 375' if I get every bit of my swing into a ball (doesn't happen often, trust me).

I did an experiment with 2 of the same bats in the same weights. One passing compression and one way below it. Hitting them side by side for nothing but distance they were about 30-40' apart. On the radar they were 4-5 mph apart on average. Which surprised me that's all the margin was. Human consistency is still the biggest variable here. Keep that in mind.

I suppose it all depends on which way you dice it, but I'd be way more worried with a consistent radar number than worrying about what the high is. Seeing clips of guys lighting up the radar for a big number is cool and all but what's the average out of the 5 swings before and after that big number?

Thanks. Awesome input, exactly the type of information i was hoping for. Its really surprising that 4-5 mph resulted in 30-40 feet difference. Looking forward to some decent weather, and testing something like this out myself.

Ken07

DeMarini/Wilson Sports Senior Pro
Good comments..Ill add that our research shows around 4 feet of "potential" distance for every 1mph of exit speed on your fastest exit speeds. Those will be low line drives or one hopper scorched past the pitchers. If you can reach 80mph with league balls and sanctioned bats on these highest type of square hit balls as mentioned, then if you can alter launch angle, and underspin a ball, this potential should get you 80mph x 4= 320 feet. This has been a pretty consistent figure for us. Wind of course makes a big difference too. We've tested Ryan Harvey at 121 mph at the highest level...with a wind out one day I saw Harvey reach 500' 4 times (no radar that day)...but 121 x 4= 484 feet and add in the wind for the extra distance. The figure I see of young conference pros with appropriate equipment for Utrip is that they will reach over 100mph. I've seen Dale Brungardt reach 110mph on a one hop line drive but then hit a ball 400' on the next pitch but only reach 91mph on that underspun fly ball..so you dont see the high exit speeds on high homerun type balls...probably because they were not squared up at impact..bat vs ball... We have very limited experience using Asa and 52 cor balls, so I look forward to anyones research on that. For top seniors like Hall or Kendrick, using senior bats, they too will go over 100mph. Any rec player that reaches 90mph, is a pretty damn powerful and quick. JMO No experience with women and 11 inch balls at all.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Ill add that our research shows around 4 feet of "potential" distance for every 1mph of exit speed on your fastest exit speeds. Those will be low line drives or one hopper scorched past the pitchers.

I've seen Dale Brungardt reach 110mph on a one hop line drive but then hit a ball 400' on the next pitch but only reach 91mph on that underspun fly ball..so you dont see the high exit speeds on high homerun type balls...probably because they were not squared up at impact..

Exactly what we noticed when we played with the radar, only scaled down.

Highest speeds (high 80's - low 90's) were smashed straight back at the pitching machine, homerun-trajectory balls were in the low to mid 80's.

Matth

Good comments..Ill add that our research shows around 4 feet of "potential" distance for every 1mph of exit speed on your fastest exit speeds. Those will be low line drives or one hopper scorched past the pitchers. If you can reach 80mph with league balls and sanctioned bats on these highest type of square hit balls as mentioned, then if you can alter launch angle, and underspin a ball, this potential should get you 80mph x 4= 320 feet. This has been a pretty consistent figure for us. Wind of course makes a big difference too. We've tested Ryan Harvey at 121 mph at the highest level...with a wind out one day I saw Harvey reach 500' 4 times (no radar that day)...but 121 x 4= 484 feet and add in the wind for the extra distance. The figure I see of young conference pros with appropriate equipment for Utrip is that they will reach over 100mph. I've seen Dale Brungardt reach 110mph on a one hop line drive but then hit a ball 400' on the next pitch but only reach 91mph on that underspun fly ball..so you dont see the high exit speeds on high homerun type balls...probably because they were not squared up at impact..bat vs ball... We have very limited experience using Asa and 52 cor balls, so I look forward to anyones research on that. For top seniors like Hall or Kendrick, using senior bats, they too will go over 100mph. Any rec player that reaches 90mph, is a pretty damn powerful and quick. JMO No experience with women and 11 inch balls at all.
Have you done any studies on the effects of wind speed on ball distance? I think we all know that wind can play a huge part. I just have never seen anything quantified.