Any Ball Knocked Out Of Play Question

Glenn919

Starting Player
One of the fields we play on is fully fenced except for about 10 feet down where the right field line meets the outfield fence.

Runners on first and second, Fly ball goes off the right fielders glove in fair territory and rolls not only foul but out of play, what would the correct ruling be? The umpire who was doing a great job by the way, did not make any call and play continued with the two runners scoring and batter ending up at third. Just curious what the correct ruling would be.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Speaking ASA, it's two-bases from the pitch.

It's my understanding that USSSA has the same ruling.

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
Dead ball, two base award from the start of the play.

So, you would end up with runners on 2nd and 3rd with one run scored.

dewey84

Addicted to Softballfans
Make sure your outfielders know to put there arms up to let the ump know the ball went out of play. I have seen balls go under the fence and the OF didn't do anything to let the ump know the ball was out of play. It can be hard for them to see whats going on 300 feet away.

Glenn919

Starting Player
Make sure your outfielders know to put there arms up to let the ump know the ball went out of play. I have seen balls go under the fence and the OF didn't do anything to let the ump know the ball was out of play. It can be hard for them to see whats going on 300 feet away.
Agreed, Luckily it was our team that was up at the plate, so ultimately we got to benefit from it.