Other Barrel not visible due to 3m spray

lineshot

Banned User
I was playing in a WSL tourney and the other team kept using the same bat and I noticed that you couldn't see anything on the barrel due to too much 3m sticky spray/ pine tar, couldnt tell what the bat was at all. I called it out the ump and told him that the bat should be illegal to use. He told me he didn't know the rule so he couldn't do anything about it.

So what's the actual rule for this. If the whole barrel is not visible but the stamp is, is it still legal. And if it is called to the ump should it be an out for the batter after its used?

lineshot

Banned User
Ment stamp needed to play in whatever your playing at that time. So Asa or USSSA stamp for wsl play

G&Tbats

Addicted to Softballfans
I was playing in a WSL tourney and the other team kept using the same bat and I noticed that you couldn't see anything on the barrel due to too much 3m sticky spray/ pine tar, couldnt tell what the bat was at all. I called it out the ump and told him that the bat should be illegal to use. He told me he didn't know the rule so he couldn't do anything about it.

So what's the actual rule for this. If the whole barrel is not visible but the stamp is, is it still legal. And if it is called to the ump should it be an out for the batter after its used?

cant be on the barrel, only taper or its illegal, very few umps will inforce this tho, atleast in my leagues/tournements.

shotcaller

Addicted to Softballfans
pull the bat

As i have done at WSL tournies i have informed the player that the bat wasnt legal to use and if it came out of the dugout again i would eject the player who brought it and the coach,as i also informed him .

Last edited:

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
As i have done at WSL tournies i have informed the player that the bat wasnt legal to use and if it came out of the dugout again i would eject the player who brought it and the couch,as i also informed him .

Must be some big dugout if the player have couches in there :D

RodeoClown

ACCOUNT DELETED
heres your problem right here

"He told me he didn't know the rule so he couldn't do anything about it."

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE

Yeah I was looking for an answer to that question as well. I saw a lot of pine tarred barrels in Santee this weekend.

Alpha Q 45

Addicted to Softballfans
The rule in ASA and USSSA is there shall be no foregin substances on the barrell of the bat. If after the ball has been put in with a hit from the bat with excessive 3M spray it will be deemed an out and the bat taken out of play. I do believe that all most all associations have that rule in play.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans

Seeing that their (WSL) whole rule\code book is 25 pages (including all the graphics)......I doubt you will find anything.

It is worse than the old USFA rulebook.

When will y'all quit chasing these backwater orgs in search of a "World" Championship.

Joel

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans

Rule 3, definition of altered bat, section 1

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
In USSSA, I'd give a warning to get everything off the taper and barrel of the bat. If it comes out again with that crap still on it the player is subject to altered bat penalties.

wasabi25

Addicted to Softballfans
The best is when you tell them to put the bat away or remove the ****, they give you an excuse of why it's on there. I had this one last week, " but it prevents the bat from cracking!"
I keep a copy of the rule in my bag, I love showing it to them when they tell me that it's not in the Utrip rules. BAM, now go sit down!

baseman

in your face nancy grace
Had a team this summer bring a bat that was painted flat green with a smooth end cap not unlike the ultra's and an easton sticker on the taper. The league goes by ASA bat rules so after they stepped in the bbox I said good night to him. I had seen them use it in a different game and it was a half swing hr every at bat. The excuse I got was they bought it on ebay like that and it was from a dealer. LOL still said good night to the guy.