Other Baseball/General Fair/Foul Call

BigTexCowboy

Professional Bull Milker
Coaching my son's baseball team. Ball was hit in the dirt directly in front of the center of the plate, probably 2" in front of the black, never touched the plate either, just straight to the dirt. It didn't pass the chalk of the batter's box. I had my player (batter) run to first and other runners advance. Home plate umpire called it fair, then after all runners were safe the field umpire who was in the grass behind the 2nd baseman (not the base) called the ball foul. My beilief is the ball was fair, your thoughts?

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
My thoughts are that the field umpire is a moron. The area directly in front of the plate is in fair territory. The batters box has nothing to do w/ whether or not a ball is fair or foul. In fact, if the ball ended up ON home plate, it would still be a fair ball. This is a universal rule.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Fair all the way- in either baseball or softball.

A batted ball is determined fair or foul by it's relation to the foul lines. Home plate is entirely in fair territory. Even if the ball had landed right on top of the plate and stayed there it would still be a fair ball.

This is the plate umpire's call. The only time the base umpire should jump in is if he he clearly saw the ball touch the batter- and only then if he is 100% sure he saw it. Otherwise, he should keep his mouth shut!

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
My thoughts are that the field umpire is a moron. The area directly in front of the plate is in fair territory. The batters box has nothing to do w/ whether or not a ball is fair or foul. In fact, if the ball ended up ON home plate, it would still be a fair ball. This is a universal rule.

I thought a ball off the plate was a foul ball?

BigTexCowboy

Professional Bull Milker
I just wanted to reconfirm I know WTF I'm talking about. I used to ump baseball, hell even UIL sanctioned high school games when I was a JR/SR in high school, but for some reason it had me all :confused: I asked for time and asked the home ump:

Me: "Was the ball in front of the plate?"
Ump: "Yes, but it didn't pass the batter's box"
Me: "But it wasn't in the batter's box it was in front of the plate in fair territory."
Ump: "Well the field umpire is the head of umpires for this division so he knows."
Me: "You're wrong, please check that rule for future use."

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
I just wanted to reconfirm I know WTF I'm talking about. I used to ump baseball, hell even UIL sanctioned high school games when I was a JR/SR in high school, but for some reason it had me all :confused: I asked for time and asked the home ump:

Me: "Was the ball in front of the plate?"
Ump: "Yes, but it didn't pass the batter's box"
Me: "But it wasn't in the batter's box it was in front of the plate in fair territory."
Ump: "Well the field umpire is the head of umpires for this division so he knows."
Me: "You're wrong, please check that rule for future use."

Your last reply should have been.....I protest.

Joel

Crushdaddy44

Addicted to Softballfans
You see this all the time, A bunted ball sometimes hits the plate and goes forward and the ump will call it foul........I dont know why they keep doing this......The field ump had no reason to say anything even if he was the cheif ump, if anything he should know he needs to keep his lips closed.....

KannonsDad

**** you
In this situation, in front of the plate, between the third and first base lines is fair. Period.

Last edited:

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
You have a "head of umpires" that doesn't know this and I'm the worst f**king ump in the entire world? (At least I was told that last night).

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
There must be a one million way tie for worst umpire in the world, with me right in that list.

mrcub8

maybe next year!-Cub fans
I also love parents who can call balls/strikes from next to the dugout.....but then I over heard the dad who agrued everything say to a woman........on balls down the line if the fielder touches ball in foul territory but has his feet in fair territory it's a fair ball.........I LOL'd and told the coach he should mention the rule to the tool.......this isn't like football where if your feet are in play it's where 1st contact is made with ball in regards to fair/foul territory dictates if fair foul......he LOL'd and said sounds like it wouldn't help as he even admitted the guy is a moron......

guitarmike

Addicted to Softballfans
Fair all the way- in either baseball or softball.

A batted ball is determined fair or foul by it's relation to the foul lines. Home plate is entirely in fair territory. Even if the ball had landed right on top of the plate and stayed there it would still be a fair ball.

This is the plate umpire's call. The only time the base umpire should jump in is if he he clearly saw the ball touch the batter- and only then if he is 100% sure he saw it. Otherwise, he should keep his mouth shut!

Excellent description. The foul lines begin at the point at the back of the plate and extend along the edge of the plate from there. Plate = 100% fair territory.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
Batters box is meaningless on fair/foul calls. Part of the box is in foul territory, and part of it is in fair territory. All that matters is the lines that extend from the back of the plate. If you want a visual, check out page 5 in the usssa rule book. It draws the lines correctly and they go right through the batters box.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow

A batted ball can even hit directly behind the plate (in foul territory) and roll onto or in front of the plate and be a fair ball.

And the base umpire is a moron!!!