Other Baseball question

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
2 strikes on batter. Runner on 2nd (irrelevant really. 1b is open) Batter check swings on pitch in the dirt.HP Umpire does not rule swing. Ball hits off catcher shinguards and goes out of play.

Can the offensive manager or batter ask the base umpire if they swung? Since ball went out of play batter in theory would be awarded 1b for a dropped third strike if base umpire says he swung.

I know defense can appeal a check swing but can the offense?

Illegal pitcher

The Veteran
Here's a thread about it. There's some debate on whether it's allowed or not.
http://www.umpire.org/vb/showthread.php?t=7520

One poster says "That was a question on the NCAA test last(?) year. According to the answer, yes, the offense can appeal the "no swing"."

EDIT: I tend to think the offense can't appeal, for this reason: umpire initially calls "ball - no swing." The ball is still in play, and the batter runs to 1st base because he thought he swung. It would be dumb for the catcher to throw to 1st base in this situation. So, now the offense appeals (while the batter is almost to 1st base) and the defense never really had a fair chance to put him out.

Last edited:

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
Here's a thread about it. There's some debate on whether it's allowed or not.
http://www.umpire.org/vb/showthread.php?t=7520

One poster says "That was a question on the NCAA test last(?) year. According to the answer, yes, the offense can appeal the "no swing"."

EDIT: I tend to think the offense can't appeal, for this reason: umpire initially calls "ball - no swing." The ball is still in play, and the batter runs to 1st base because he thought he swung. It would be dumb for the catcher to throw to 1st base in this situation. So, now the offense appeals (while the batter is almost to 1st base) and the defense never really had a fair chance to put him out.

The argument at Umpire.org is more of a matter of mechanics rather than whether it is allowed.

In a perfect world, the plate umpire should have immediately asked his base partner if the batter made an attempt or not. No appeal.....just a straight forward (legal) ask for help on a check swing.

I really don't feel like digging through my Jim Evan's Annotated or my Jaksa Rhoder manual.....but I am pretty sure they come to the same conclusion.

And.....I did not know that Umpire.org had switched to the V-Bulletin format.....good for them......it was one of the things that kept me away from them for years.

Joel