ASA Basepath

waldo8403

Addicted to Softballfans
All I can find is the definition of the bast path
"BASE PATH: A line directly between a base and the runner’s position at the time a
defensive player is attempting to tag that runner."

Is there any other reference in the rule book, supplements or case book?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
All I can find is the definition of the bast path
"BASE PATH: A line directly between a base and the runner’s position at the time a
defensive player is attempting to tag that runner."

Is there any other reference in the rule book, supplements or case book?

Well, it sounds like you have a specific scenario in mind. Care to share?

waldo8403

Addicted to Softballfans
Not really, just talking about it last naight while having adult beverages after league. I thought I saw a thread on it once that had a reference to a case book type scenario that I wanted to find. Basically I took the stance in our discussion that if I was on 1st, I can establish any base path I wanted, obviously it would have to be inside the legal playing area. So I could legally establish a bath path from 1st to 2nd that was a big arc all the way out to right field and high five the right fielder on may way to 2nd as long as I was never avoiding a tag.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Just one more piece of info - if your "high fiving" the right fielder interfered with him making a play, you're out on interference :D

waldo8403

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the replies but still haven't found it in a case book. The other guy thinks it has to be a direct line.

spos21ram

The Legend
Once the runner establishes the base path is it correct that he has 3 feet in either direction to avoid a tag for instance?

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
The base line/base path confusion always blows my mind. I always wonder if those people ever hit something besides a single.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the replies but still haven't found it in a case book. The other guy thinks it has to be a direct line.

It is a direct line, from the runner's position to the base to which they are proceeding at the time the defense begins to make a play on him/her.