Baserunner and time (ASA/USA)

jfsully

Addicted to Softballfans
The runner has rounded 3rd and has stopped 15 feet up the line towards home and begins to dance back and forth between 3rd and home trying to draw a throw.

The defensive team gets the ball into the infield and asks for time. (Again the runner has stopped moving towards home on numerous ocassions as the infielder has the ball).

Do you grant time when requested?
If the pitcher has the ball *( as in fast pitch) do you automatically call time?

Pheonix51

Addicted to Softballfans
You call time when you believe there is no further play happening. Not when the IF think so. Ignore them asking. It's the umpires decision.

Think a play might happen? Don't call it.

Think everything has stopped? Call it.

No LBR in SP so no time just because pitcher has it. Not that you'd call time in FP either...

Iceman6409

I totally agree. I do this all the time. What almost no players understand is they can REQUEST a time out. Keyword being request. I see something still going on, like a player off a base acting like he/she MIGHT go then the request is not granted. The umpire is absolutely the only person that can GRANT a time out. When I played and I was dancing off a base I can tell you there is no way I wanted a time out called until I made my decision to go or not even if a defensive player called time.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
To me, the IF asking for time is an indication that they aren't going to attempt a play on the runner. And I really don't want to sit there and watch while a guy dances around.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
If the umpire knows what they are doing, there shouldn't need to be a request that often. BTW, the "what if" thought shouldn't be part of the thought process.

MaverickAH

For FP, if the pitcher has the ball, within the pitcher's circle and isn't making an attempt on a runner, the "Look Back" immediately kicks into effect. That means that once they've stopped, any runners have up to 1 second to make up their mind as to whether to either advance or retreat. If they don't make a decision & continue to stand still without a play being made, they should be called out. If they start in one direction or the other & stop before reaching a base without a play being made, they should be called out. If you have multiple runners on the same play violating the rule, only one can be called out. Usually it should be the most advanced of the violators. If you have a violation of the rule, immediately call time out.

Now there can be a delay as to when the rule goes into effect. All runners have to complete their minimum assigned duty as runners. In other words, if the are multiple runners on & ball 4 is thrown to the batter, the rule doesn't go into effect until the BR reaches 1B and/or any runners forced to advance reach the base they're forced to advanced to. So if there are runners on 2B & 3B and the batter take ball 4, they can do whatever until the now BR reaches 1B even if the ball is already back to the pitcher in the circle.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
For FP, if the pitcher has the ball, within the pitcher's circle and isn't making an attempt on a runner, the "Look Back" immediately kicks into effect. That means that once they've stopped, any runners have up to 1 second to make up their mind as to whether to either advance or retreat. If they don't make a decision & continue to stand still without a play being made, they should be called out. If they start in one direction or the other & stop before reaching a base without a play being made, they should be called out. If you have multiple runners on the same play violating the rule, only one can be called out. Usually it should be the most advanced of the violators. If you have a violation of the rule, immediately call time out.

Now there can be a delay as to when the rule goes into effect. All runners have to complete their minimum assigned duty as runners. In other words, if the are multiple runners on & ball 4 is thrown to the batter, the rule doesn't go into effect until the BR reaches 1B and/or any runners forced to advance reach the base they're forced to advanced to. So if there are runners on 2B & 3B and the batter take ball 4, they can do whatever until the now BR reaches 1B even if the ball is already back to the pitcher in the circle.

LBR is one of the biggest wastes of time and energy is softball

MaverickAH

Not really...…..

The only time it's ever an issue is at the lower, less skilled level of the game where players & coaches are still learning. It's almost never an issue at the upper levels. I could argue that it actually speeds up the game. I've witnessed way more wasting of time & energy in baseball where the rule doesn't exist.

The biggest waste of time & energy to the rule is me having to explain it to coaches, players & others over & over again!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Not really...…..

The only time it's ever an issue is at the lower, less skilled level of the game where players & coaches are still learning. It's almost never an issue at the upper levels. I could argue that it actually speeds up the game. I've witnessed way more wasting of time & energy in baseball where the rule doesn't exist.

The biggest waste of time & energy to the rule is me having to explain it to coaches, players & others over & over again!

Disagree. It slows the progress of the game simply through the cat and mouse games. Should be as simple as SP. Plays obviously over, call time and move on.