ASA Bases loaded walk walk-off

jimmermc

Pitcher
Not sure if anyone else saw Saturday's Dbacks-Padres game, but it had an interesting ending and I wonder how it would play out in ASA. Bottom of the tenth and Padres issue a bases loaded walk that ends the game. Overbay touches first as the batter-runner, Upton touches home as the runner from third, but Montero heads in to celebrate from 2nd without touching 3rd. Bud Black appeals, then protests, but the protest is later withdrawn due to rule 4.09b that says game ends when batter-runner touches first and runner from 3rd touches home with no mention of the other 2 runners in the rule.

My question is, are all runners to touch their next base in ASA or does it not matter in softball either? Would an appeal be appropriate?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Not sure if anyone else saw Saturday's Dbacks-Padres game, but it had an interesting ending and I wonder how it would play out in ASA. Bottom of the tenth and Padres issue a bases loaded walk that ends the game. Overbay touches first as the batter-runner, Upton touches home as the runner from third, but Montero heads in to celebrate from 2nd without touching 3rd. Bud Black appeals, then protests, but the protest is later withdrawn due to rule 4.09b that says game ends when batter-runner touches first and runner from 3rd touches home with no mention of the other 2 runners in the rule.

My question is, are all runners to touch their next base in ASA or does it not matter in softball either? Would an appeal be appropriate?

Yes, this may absolutely be appealed, and depending on how many appeals you make, you may need to make them in the right order (starting with the runner on 3rd and working your way back). Otherwise, if you appeal the wrong runner, you could remove the force on the other runner(s) and end up with no other valid appeals.

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
I've seen this come into play in league games (following ASA rules) where a team starts short, taking an out in the 10th position in the lineup. Defensive team walks the 9th batter to get to the automatic out for the 3rd out, and the batter never goes to first. Most teams just let it go, since their intention was to let the 10th spot make the out, but every now and then one will appeal if the walked runner touches first. Batter-runner called out, team starts the next inning with an out.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Perhaps

If there were no outs when this occured then it wouldn't matter anyway. With no outs and the runner from 3rd scoring and the batter runner reaching first base safely you could only get two outs on appeal. Run would still score game over.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
If there were no outs when this occured then it wouldn't matter anyway. With no outs and the runner from 3rd scoring and the batter runner reaching first base safely you could only get two outs on appeal. Run would still score game over.

It would help your pitcher's ERA, though. ;)

jimmermc

Pitcher

There were 2 outs.

There were 2 outs.

well like dep says,to me it should of been an out and a new inning,i know ASA it would be.i have won a game b/c a runner didn't advance on a hit and we got the inning ending force out,game still tied and we won in extra innings.

can't see why baseball is different tho....

moonpie02

Coal Miners DELIGHT!
Play happened in usssa game.1st & 3rd. 2 outs base hit to center,runner on 3rd scores runner on 1st turns to walk off.Ball thrown to 2nd & runner called out,run didn't count.Guy goes crazy,said play was over when he scored.Ump informed him it was a force & he had to touch 2nd.Team lost in xtras.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, this may absolutely be appealed, and depending on how many appeals you make, you may need to make them in the right order (starting with the runner on 3rd and working your way back). Otherwise, if you appeal the wrong runner, you could remove the force on the other runner(s) and end up with no other valid appeals.
We had a game with the bases loaded, 1 out, bottom of the last inning. Guy hit a shallow pop-up into left, and everybody stayed on their base. The ball dropped and the runners on first and second just watched the runner on third score. Everybody started jumping around (nobody advanced). The SS threw the ball to 2nd for the force out, then they tagged the runner between 2nd and 3rd. If they'd done it right, they could've had an inning-ending double play.
I've seen this come into play in league games (following ASA rules) where a team starts short, taking an out in the 10th position in the lineup. Defensive team walks the 9th batter to get to the automatic out for the 3rd out, and the batter never goes to first. Most teams just let it go, since their intention was to let the 10th spot make the out, but every now and then one will appeal if the walked runner touches first. Batter-runner called out, team starts the next inning with an out.
It's happened to me in a few USSSA tournaments. The first time, I went to first and the umpire told me I didn't have to. The second time, I asked and the umpire said I didn't have to.
It would help your pitcher's ERA, though. ;)
How so?