Bat Report Card? - Composite Alloy Mix

zls1camaro

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey saw a 2013 DeMarini Steel: DXWHI Slow Pitch at the local store $190 range -- composite handle and aluminum barrel.... do these perform???

DemPhenom

if you need a metal/singlewall bat=this is the goods.
if you are hitting mush=performs well
if you can use composites=better options out there but not bad at all.
can be found for low $100 used. mid $100 new.

TAG617

Star Player
For the money there are better IMO. I had a White Steel and it cracked and dented up in the first game being used hitting .44 375's (what the league uses) My bro's Craze still going strong after being beat on by the entire team for a few seasons...

The bat does perform however. I really liked the way it swung and felt. Got a FU Dawg on the way hoping it's better which from what I've read it should be.

SlapHappy

Addicted to Softballfans
I've been hearing a lot of stories about the 2013 cracking, splitting, denting within very few swings. I personally witnessed someone who could barely hit the ball 200' split the barrel after 3 swings out of the wrapper. I would stay far away from the 2013 version and get an older model.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
For the money there are better IMO. I had a White Steel and it cracked and dented up in the first game being used hitting .44 375's (what the league uses) My bro's Craze still going strong after being beat on by the entire team for a few seasons...

The bat does perform however. I really liked the way it swung and felt. Got a FU Dawg on the way hoping it's better which from what I've read it should be.

Ummmmmmmm no.
WS is, was, and forever will be one of the best metal barreled bats on the planet.
You are comparing apples to..........Fruit Smoothies

Craze, Fu, any other composite bat........its just not the same thing.

that being said, I would only use the older model WS--og, 08, and anyone accept the Maroon one.

scottdburnett

Addicted to Softballfans
If you're looking for a metal barrel, then this is a great choice. I think it hits everything well. My did get some warpping after hitting in the cold, 50 degrees (?), but it still feels great to hit with.
$190 is too high to pay for it though. I'd wait and look for a slightly used or a Non-returnable on the boards for a lot less dough.

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
The 2010 (maroon barrel) and 2013 (dark grey barrel) for me have been the best performing WS since the 06 and 08 models. The problem is they also seem to be the most likely to catastrophically fail and crack.

I have cracked a few maroon barreled WSs but they all had a ton of swings on them but I have also seen women crack them in 50 or so swings. It looks like that is the same problem that the 2013 models are having. The older WSs dented and lost end caps but I didn’t see very many of those break and that is the league bat of choice out here so you see 5 or 6 WSs per team.

The 2012 WS can be found for 120ish on line and seems durable but I don’t think the pop is as good as other models. You should be able to get a new 2013 for 150ish but I would look for an older WS at around a 100 bucks used. They are on the bay all the time at that price.