Bat Rolling a thing of the past?

jd10

Came to make a bang
Just curious to get others opinions...I'm playing on a team this season with a couple of guys i haven't played with in a while. We went to the cage to take some BP and they were talking about a local place that started doing bat rolling for $25 or something. I remember when i first started playing it was all the rage. I'm a singles/line drive hitter, so doctoring bats isn't for me (scruples not withstanding), but I hadn't heard anyone talking about rolling in some time. Plus, with the way bats are straight fire out of the wrapper, i wouldn't think the tradeoff of bat life vs. slight increase in performance would be worth it. Do people still roll bats?

jd10

Came to make a bang
easton had those synergys that one year where if you tried to roll them the barrel would change color so something, right?

jd10

Came to make a bang
cheaters gonna cheat.
theoretically, i get the reason...its a uniformed way to break in the walls and make them more springy, but i feel like that made more sense when it took 500 at bats to break in your bat. but these days the bats are so responsive right out of the wrapper, i feel like the decrease in the bats life isn't worth the couple of extra feet you may see. unless the difference is more than i think it is.

Glitch

Starting Player
Heck, even shaving a bat these days it pointless. Add like 5 feet to your hit? Whoop de freakin' do.

Calli4120

ASA Free Since 05
New technology and compression testing pretty much made rolling obsolete.

Bats are hotter faster now and don't take 1000's of swings to break in like they used to. (OG synergy line and OG Catalysts) Rolling a bat now severely shortens its life and for leagues that compression test it would probably fail right away.

Dan411

Star Player
Pretty much is pointless, and illegal, and will void your warranty. For some brands, rolling will cause some visible webbing that is not characteristic of good old fashion hits. That makes it easy for them to void/deny your warranty return.

jd10

Came to make a bang
thanks for the confirmation guys. i thought that was the case but with a new place offering it and all of a sudden increased chatter, I thought i was missing something.

blackbeasst

Addicted to Softballfans
we played a team a couple days ago that it was obvious they were swinging a shaved stick. when all 11 guys are swinging a 2014 juggy and all are hitting it out, obvious bat shaving is obvious.

stupid LD doesn't compression test so plenty of people cheat.

SBG SHREK

Coach
we played a team a couple days ago that it was obvious they were swinging a shaved stick. when all 11 guys are swinging a 2014 juggy and all are hitting it out, obvious bat shaving is obvious.

If you have to shave a 2014 Juggy to hit HRs that's pretty sad lol
That bat is fire out of the wrapper.

jd10

Came to make a bang
If you have to shave a 2014 Juggy to hit HRs that's pretty sad lol
That bat is fire out of the wrapper.

thats what i'm sayin...it seems like bats get hot so fast now that i don't see the benefit of cheating. and if it breaks, you're screwed.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans

If all the guys are using it and using decent mechanics, why are u assuming it's shaved? Thought that's why they called it a TEAM bat.

Might fail compression, but you're just assuming shaving

blackbeasst

Addicted to Softballfans
If all the guys are using it and using decent mechanics, why are u assuming it's shaved? Thought that's why they called it a TEAM bat.

Might fail compression, but you're just assuming shaving

cause they had guys using it had no business hitting it like they did. and there were plenty of other bats to grab, yet they all grabbed the juggy. i call bull**** on a TEAM bat.

didn't help them in the end as we beat them, but being the pitcher against teams with shaved bats, thats pretty ****ed up.

Altering a new stamp bat is the equivalent of getting a DUI these days. An impulsive, irrational action you made while not in the right state of mind with dire consequences that you will immediately regret in the morning. Yup.

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
cause they had guys using it had no business hitting it like they did. and there were plenty of other bats to grab, yet they all grabbed the juggy. i call bull**** on a TEAM bat.

didn't help them in the end as we beat them, but being the pitcher against teams with shaved bats, thats pretty ****ed up.

I'm thinking it was just hot because it was used a lot. If it was shaved it wouldn't last long with the whole team using it. There's a few teams in my area that do the same thing and I know the players well....they use the 14 juggy and just kill with it! I went and picked one up after that and YES it does kill right out of the wrapper.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm thinking it was just hot because it was used a lot. If it was shaved it wouldn't last long with the whole team using it. There's a few teams in my area that do the same thing and I know the players well....they use the 14 juggy and just kill with it! I went and picked one up after that and YES it does kill right out of the wrapper.

Heck, forget the mechanics, the way they make bats these days, you don't even need mechanics.

If Ken can demo videos of small guys hitting bombs regularly with good mechanics, sounds like sour grapes to me unless all the other bats in the dugout were Juggys too.