ASA Bat rule for excessive wear and rattle...

Compas1

Star Player
Can some one direct me to the specific rule in the ASA guidelines that deals the excessive wear on a bat and a bat rattling?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Any audible rattle in a bat, and the bat is no longer legal for use in ASA Championship Play.

What's your question about the "excessive wear" rule?

Compas1

Star Player
Any audible rattle in a bat, and the bat is no longer legal for use in ASA Championship Play.

What's your question about the "excessive wear" rule?

It might have been in U-trip... Thought there was a rule if the paint on the bat was inch or so written of near the endcap in wasn't allowed to be used.

Joker

as far as i know, no associations defines the amount of wear. they just say excessive wear and its umpire judgement

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
USSSA Rule 2 Sec 2. L.3

No bat is legal for USSSA sanctioned play, if any of the graphics of the bat have worn off. For example, even if the only graphics that have worn off are not Key Graphic Information and are only items such as the patent no., a manufacturer logo, or the approval mark of another association, the bat should be removed from play for being too worn.

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It might have been in U-trip... Thought there was a rule if the paint on the bat was inch or so written of near the endcap in wasn't allowed to be used.

Not exactly. Here's from ASA's Rules Supplement #3:
When noticeable delamination appears on the Easton style bats designed to show delamination on the barrel area more than an inch in any direction, remove that bat and hold it until the end of the Championship.

Please note that they're referring to the Easton Synergy product line (such as the Reveal) where they have the means to identify rolled bats by their delamination. Watch the video below to see what I'm talking about:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi4JHaovWUs[/ame]

FatBoy28 does bring up the correct USSSA rule regarding identifying marks on a bat, and ASA does not have such a rule.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
USSSA also states that if the base composite is showing at any point on the bat it is no longer legal. Probably never going to be called that way in leagues but it can and does happen at tournaments that bats get tossed for having too much wear near the endcap.

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
:mod:Tournament Bat Check List::mod:
1.) Rattles?
2.) End cap wear?
3.) Any Spirals/Webbing/Delaminating?
4.) Any wear on stamp(s)?
5.) Bat testing sticker(s)? (if tested)
6.) Any "modifications"?

Iballsohard

Here for the pitches
The only issue in ASA i have had dealing with wear was when the actual ASA stamps wore off my Recoil. they would not allow it in play even though you could see every other graphic on the bat. only thing that was gone was the ASA stamp. Damn shame.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
The only issue in ASA i have had dealing with wear was when the actual ASA stamps wore off my Recoil. they would not allow it in play even though you could see every other graphic on the bat. only thing that was gone was the ASA stamp. Damn shame.

No, the damn shame is that Miken put that stamp in such a stupid location.

By rule, we have to be able to see that stamp. Have I allowed red Recoils where the stamp is prematurely worn off? Yes. Do I have to? No.

Can I blame an umpire for not wanting to allow a bat that appears to be missing its stamp? No.

At least ASA doesn't disqualify a bat if the U-Trip stamp is missing. U-Trip, on the other hand, does disqualify a bat if the ASA stamp is missing, even though their stamp might be totally fine.

Iballsohard

Here for the pitches
No, the damn shame is that Miken put that stamp in such a stupid location.

By rule, we have to be able to see that stamp. Have I allowed red Recoils where the stamp is prematurely worn off? Yes. Do I have to? No.

Can I blame an umpire for not wanting to allow a bat that appears to be missing its stamp? No.

At least ASA doesn't disqualify a bat if the U-Trip stamp is missing. U-Trip, on the other hand, does disqualify a bat if the ASA stamp is missing, even though their stamp might be totally fine.

Yeah. we started using clear nail polish to preserve the recoil stamps. Miken wasn't thinking that through when they placed them where they did.

I do understand that it is a judgement call most times with the umps. Can't blame them, they are just doing their job.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah. we started using clear nail polish to preserve the recoil stamps. Miken wasn't thinking that through when they placed them where they did.

I do understand that it is a judgement call most times with the umps. Can't blame them, they are just doing their job.

And now you've just altered a bat and are subject to the ban.