Bat to broken in?

Gishdream

Addicted to Softballfans
Is there such a thing as being to broke in. As in, will performance diminish after so many hits or does a composite bat get hotter and hotter until the day it dies. I feel like one of my bats is dying on me after 2500 hit or so.

jonah35

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, I think so. My buddy has a jnaut that was absolute fire, now it's just a average or even below average bat

Galpejos56

Addicted to Softballfans
Too broken in? No such thing. It sounds like that bat is broken. Your bat will be it's hottest just before it breaks.

pinksalmon

Addicted to Softballfans
cracked on the inside. It happens. do some 1/8th turns in bp it see if it still has a hot side. Had a recoil that happened too.

stepup

Coach
The only bat I have ever busted was absolutly crazy right before it busted. I am talking like the hottest bat I have ever touched. It was so hot that I swung it very sparingly because I wanted it to last so I only swung it in games when I needed to get a big hit.

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
I had an Extended that didn't have any visible cracks on the outside and one game, it just didn't feel right so to confirm it, I hit with it in bp and still no performance, so i traded it to a guy and I told him that it died but he still traded me a M7598 for it. So yeah, I think that a bat can break in to the point that there are dead spots in the bat or the whole bat dies.

Whitey0817

Addicted to Softballfans
Could it be the fact that the bat was on fire this spring and has diminished since then? Its all to do with the heat of summer making the balls softer, I actually scored a stupid hot Mayhem from a dummy for 50 bucks like this a few years ago...he thought it was done for but it ended up lasting me almost a whole year

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
cracked on the inside. It happens. do some 1/8th turns in bp it see if it still has a hot side. Had a recoil that happened too.
This is true. Alot of older combats, for instance, did this. I had one that spit fire on one hit then made a thud on the next without any cracks anywhere on the bat. I hit it in bp to find where it was broken at and by the time I found what side the good side was, it finally had a shark tooth.

tlatella10s Derby boys did this as well.

Could it be the fact that the bat was on fire this spring and has diminished since then? Its all to do with the heat of summer making the balls softer, I actually scored a stupid hot Mayhem from a dummy for 50 bucks like this a few years ago...he thought it was done for but it ended up lasting me almost a whole year
haha same here. Guy at the park sold me a booger that he said was "dead" lol

Zarkoff500

Addicted to Softballfans
I had an OG flex that did this. No visible cracks on the outside but it had gone from being stupid hot to average to slightly below average before I retired it.

Last edited:

44oki

Hillbilly

Yup, I got an Extended this way for a POS M7598:eek:

SmittyB

Manager
Brag post but this has been my 2 week project... When she goes I get a sy98 :)

26619CAE-F904-429D-A976-F592BECA5BE7-25475-00000F7962BF5FD9.jpg

20D7C96C-BE0F-40E8-819C-F12A8809DD76-25475-00000F796A911F51.jpg

Webbed up like crazy with what looks to be the begining of a shark tooth. Stupid hot right now. Close to 350 off a tee using evil bps. Sounds like a salvo on its last legs...

Last edited:

ryverse

Star Player
I'm torn on this. I've always read/heard that bats get hotter until they bust, but a buddy of mine has a Freak that is just dead. No visible cracks or anything, but it is just lifeless, almost feels waterlogged lol

stickywicky

Addicted to Softballfans
Had a crush do this, had it for a few years started getting hot. Sound kept changing frequently, was lights out for about 50 swings. Then it sounded like a cardboard tube, After a few more swings I saw a crack. Hurt to swing it because it stung my hands no matter where I hit it. Broke it in 2 and the inside was shark toothed all over. Got a Og extended that's heading this way.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Actually, yes, composite bats can and often do "go dead" as they're used. Lab work has verified it, too.

ShaneDuncan

Addicted to Softballfans
Please are very mislead with this. A guy from a local college did a study on this.

http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~ssl/pubs/apcst2005.pdf

Scroll down to section 4.5 and 5.

Three separate bats tests and all showed the same results for the most part....
0-500 swings = log
500-1000 swings = Hottest
1000-1500 = Slight drop
1500-2000 = More of a drop....

Based off this study the rumors of "It only gets hotter until it breaks".... Appear to be wrong. The bats are clearly still alot hotter at 2k swings than new, but not hotter than the 500 swing mark.

/thread....

LKGRenegade22

I Be Hitting It
I had an M75120 a few years back that had a TON of swings on it. It would go dead and I would hit it in BP until it got hot again. Each time it came back around it was hotter than the time before. Did that a few times and finally had it taken in worlds when I hit a pitcher and it sounded like it was full of sand. I had decided that bat was never going to bust...and I bust a lot of bats.

They just don't make them like that anymore.

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
Please are very mislead with this. A guy from a local college did a study on this.

http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~ssl/pubs/apcst2005.pdf

Scroll down to section 4.5 and 5.

Three separate bats tests and all showed the same results for the most part....
0-500 swings = log
500-1000 swings = Hottest
1000-1500 = Slight drop
1500-2000 = More of a drop....

Based off this study the rumors of "It only gets hotter until it breaks".... Appear to be wrong. The bats are clearly still alot hotter at 2k swings than new, but not hotter than the 500 swing mark.

/thread....
In order for this theory to be proven he would have to use bats from all manufacturers. The two hottest bats I've ever swung were an og mutant and mv1. Both lasted forever and were easily at their hottest right before breaking. The combats I've had usually broke form the inside and got a dead spot that you couldn't see after they started rattling.

Because of differences in composites used and the way they are made (i.e. og crush, or asa z1000) you can't just say this theory applies to all bats.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
In order for this theory to be proven he would have to use bats from all manufacturers.

Because of differences in composites used and the way they are made (i.e. og crush, or asa z1000) you can't just say this theory applies to all bats.

Not necessarily. Composite bats may have unique layups, but there are some pretty universal truths to their design. One is that the "breaking in" is the result of interlayer and intralayer delamination, stemming from the resin's inability to maintain integrity. If your evidence suggests that it's this resin inadequacy resulting in the observed trend, you could put forth the theory that all bats will exhibit this pattern regardless of their individual construction.

thedodger22

Addicted to Softballfans
I've had a few bats that I think were "too broken in", meaning they had gotten less-hot over time. They seem to get to the point where they flex soooo much that they don't trampoline the way they used to. Had an 09 Resmondo that was this way.

Dogue

Evil Genius
Could it be the fact that the bat was on fire this spring and has diminished since then? Its all to do with the heat of summer making the balls softer, <brag deleted>

Lots of truth here and the "my hot bat is now dead" posts show up in the heat of the Summer every year on here. Swing that thing again in the Fall and see if it's still dead, or send it to me and I'll perform my own testing.