USSSA Bat usage

clarkjddg69

The Veteran
A friend and I play USSSA ball and I play ASA as well. We are curious to know if it would be legal for us to swing one of my ASA bats in USSSA games. We are curious because we recently had a case where a player that plays in both of our leagues was called out and ejected from the game. The bat he used is not altered at all. It is the lime green Easton L3. I had sold him the bat a few days prior. I am the second owner of the bat and got it from my father who is an ASA umpire.

clarkjddg69

The Veteran
I am pretty sure it does. We don't play again until Tuesday night. I have another one that is identical at home in my bag. I will snap some pics and post them as soon as I get home from work.

COKEMAN

Addicted to Softballfans
That L3 is an ASA only bat. I have one. Lots of the ASA leagues let you use USSSA bats, but Utrip doesn't normally allow ASA only bats. So, yeah, do as Joker says and find out the stamp requirement for the league.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Association stamps on a bat are like stamps on a passport. It just means that that particular association (or country) has approved the bat's entry. Having a stamp from a different association (or country) doesn't mean you can't enter - you just have to have the right stamp.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
Last I checked common thought was that Utrip bats are slightly "hotter" than ASA. Might be where this idea came from. Regardless, stamps are stamps. Needs to have the right stinking badges.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
My understanding is that was true until ASA changed the swing speed in the testing protocol a couple years ago and USSSA required the bats to fail before breaking in past 1.20. Those two changes allowed ASA bats to surpass USSSA.