ASA Batted ball hits runner still on base

zinger

Slow pitch softball: Runner on 3rd base, batter hits ball towards 3rd and it hits the runner with his foot still on the bag and he is in fair territory. The ball rolls fair. Is the runner out or do we play live ball?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Runner on 3rd is safe and live ball.

Not quite.

Yes, the runner on third is safe. However, whether the ball remains dead or live depends on whether the ball has already passed the nearest fielder. So unless the third baseman was playing inside the baseline (which is EXTREMELY rare in slow pitch), the ball should have been declared dead, and the batter-runner should have been awarded 1st base. Runners would only advance if forced.

ureout

The Veteran
Not quite.

Yes, the runner on third is safe. However, whether the ball remains dead or live depends on whether the ball has already passed the nearest fielder. So unless the third baseman was playing inside the baseline (which is EXTREMELY rare in slow pitch), the ball should have been declared dead, and the batter-runner should have been awarded 1st base. Runners would only advance if forced.

^^^^^^what NC said

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I should point out that this answer will also vary by association.

In USSSA, azsoftball would have been correct. The runner would have been safe, and the ball would ALWAYS remains live.

In NSA, the runner would still be safe. However, the ball would ALWAYS be dead, and the batter-runner would ALWAYS be awarded first base.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
Shall I add that if he contacted the ball on purpose, he's out anyway? :)

Just out of curiosity, what happens if a fielder doesn't move to contact a ball but also makes no effort to get out of the way? I assume it is still possible for that to be interference and is the judgement of the umpire.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Just out of curiosity, what happens if a fielder doesn't move to contact a ball but also makes no effort to get out of the way? I assume it is still possible for that to be interference and is the judgement of the umpire.

He doesn't have to try to avoid it. He just can't move into its path.

But you said it yourself, it's judgement.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

Are you asking what happens if a fielder doesn't move to field the ball, or are you asking what happens if a runner doesn't move out of the way to avoid interfering?

pjh1

Addicted to Softballfans
Not quite.

If the Runner was on Second base. Does the pitcher count as a fielder? I thought in some cases the Pitcher does not count as a Fielder.

Thanks

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If the Runner was on Second base. Does the pitcher count as a fielder? I thought in some cases the Pitcher does not count as a Fielder.

Thanks

The rule only says fielder, which is any player of the team in the field. That would include the pitcher. I think you're thinking of the term "infielder," which is a term that often excluded the pitcher and catcher.

And unless a team's playing shorthanded, it'd be quite unusual for the pitcher to be the nearest fielder.

-Six-

Weiner
We had a guy get called out because he jumped when the ball came at him on third. Straight up. Came back down on the bag. But the ball struck him while he was in the air trying to avoid it.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
We had a guy get called out because he jumped when the ball came at him on third. Straight up. Came back down on the bag. But the ball struck him while he was in the air trying to avoid it.

If the ball was fair when it struck him and it hadn't yet passed an infielder, yep, that's an out.

dmr24

Starting Player
Ok, so if runner on first gets hit with ball while still on bag, do they get second base automatically and hitter gets first then?

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Ok, so if runner on first gets hit with ball while still on bag, do they get second base automatically and hitter gets first then?

Ah, I get your question - in ASA, it's a live ball if it's already passed the nearest fielder (not the pitcher). If it hasn't passed a fielder yet, the ball is dead, the batter-runner awarded first and runners advance only if forced.