ASA batter advancing to 1st base

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I am in agreement with Joker. Once a GROUND ball is hit with bases loaded runners are automatically put into forced run. If let’s say the defensive team thought maybe there was 2 out instead of one. Bases loaded, ground ball hit to the pitcher he throws to first to get the batter runner, the other runners are forced to advance.

Simply not true. With the exception of a BR removing a batting helmet during a live ball period, there can never be a force out on any runner if a trailing runner, including the BR, has been retired prior to the subsequent attempt to put out another runner

Joker

I am in agreement with Joker. Once a GROUND ball is hit with bases loaded runners are automatically put into forced run. If let’s say the defensive team thought maybe there was 2 out instead of one. Bases loaded, ground ball hit to the pitcher he throws to first to get the batter runner, the other runners are forced to advance.
After the batter/runner is put out, the force is off

RNRPLZ

Simply not true. With the exception of a BR removing a batting helmet during a live ball period, there can never be a force out on any runner if a trailing runner, including the BR, has been retired prior to the subsequent attempt to put out another runner
Well of course not. That is a sandlot no brainer.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

And that is absolutely incorrect

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans

Want you to think long and hard about this RNRPLZ ( You have to be Joker just trolling the hell out of us ), what happens in your scenario when the pitcher gets the batter/runner out at first base? Is the force still on?

blakcherry329

Want you to think long and hard about this RNRPLZ ( You have to be Joker just trolling the hell out of us ), what happens in your scenario when the pitcher gets the batter/runner out at first base? Is the force still on?
That's exactly what he said. LOL. Obviously, he doesn't know the answer. LMAO.

MaverickAH

here is the rule it doesn't sound like a time play? I'm more confused over the effect, it gives an effect on interference? Why? 2D has nothing to do with interference the following rules E thru H does.

Section 2. BATTER-RUNNER IS OUT.
D. When the batter-runner fails to advance to first base and enters the team area
after a batted fair ball, a base on balls, a hit batter (Fast Pitch), a dropped
third strike, or catcher obstruction.
EXCEPTION: (Slow Pitch) The ball is dead when runners are not required to
run bases on a home run or four base award, or on a base on balls, or (Fast
Pitch) on a hit batter. The batter-runner is not out. Other than on a home run
or a four base award, runners cannot advance unless forced.
EFFECT - Section 2 D-H: The ball is dead and runner(s) must return to the
last base legally touched at the time of the interference.

They were return because the rule states they return

Because it is a fact. Again, a "timing play" as used in the rules and manual as it pertains to the scoring of a run on the final out of a half-innng.

Because a player who has scored is no longer a runner and the rules are specific that all runners are return to the last base at the time of the infraction. Would you expect a player to return to the plate and just stand there?

why? It was a batted ball and all runners are allowed to attempt to advance while the ball is live. There is absolutely nothing out of contest

Yes... I agree I have been saying this all along the runners must return...
but nowhere in the effect of this rule or in the rule book can I find where it states that a runner that has scored cannot be returned...
ASA is by far the best written rule book and it spells out just what the intent of the rule is... again the rule states RUNNERS MUST RETURN... it doesn't say unless scored ... I always look for your answers on questions on this site and you usually do post the rule and explain why... please show me where it says unless they have scored!!!

as far as me saying you are citing the incorrect rule.... your rule is for a runner who has acquired a base and then abandons it the B/R rule says if he FAILS TO ADVANCE TO 1ST BASE... you can't abandon a base that you never acquired

You guys just kill me! :rolleyes: First you quote the correct rule & effect. Then you misquote what you yourself wrote, selectively leave out parts & then add in things that are not in the rule!

A B/R not advancing to 1B & entering the team area is not an appeal play. The B/R is immediately declared out & the ball is dead at that point. Anything else that happens at that point is the result of timing. If any runners advanced a base prior to the B/R entering the team area, they are entitled to that base. Timing.............

It's odd that the effect of this situation is treated exactly like interference even though it is not.