Batter box

smokeum99ta

Addicted to Softballfans
Guy that's bats in front of me was called out for stepping out of the box with one foot while swinging. Imo he didn't step out but that' not the question. Ump said he made contact with the ball while one foot was outta the box. Is this correct? Or should both feet need to be outta the box to get that call?

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i play in a few leagues where there is no box whatsoever. seen a guy called out for being way out in front of where the box would be to hit a short pitch to right field. it was pandemonium as there is literally no box but a "perceived" box. i was like dude you were so far away from where a box would be i don't think he had a choice. i've seen guys move guys in who are almost standing out of the box before so i'm fairly certain an ump can rule that without a box being present.

LIKEUCM

There is always a box. There just may not be chalk on the ground to provide a visual reference for the players. With no box being drawn, I always give the benefit of the doubt to the batter. If the batter is so far out of the box that it simply cannot be ignored, or if the batter steps on the plate, or completely in front of, or behind the plate, you must make the call!

blakcherry329

Can you make that call without telling the batter where the box is? Like a warning telling him/her to move closer, back up, whatever?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Before the pitch sure, ball shouldn't be put into play until the batter is completely in the box. If they move while the pitch is in the air I'm calling it where the box would be if it were chalked, but I'm also going to be damned sure they are completely out of the box before calling them out.

defos

In one of our ASA league games yesterday, a guy hit the ball to the outfield. As soon as he hit it, our pitcher told the ump the batter had one foot way out of the box at contact. Ump said he was ok at contact and then was out of the box. I think he either didn't see it or wasn't inclined to make the call. The guy made it all the way around to 3rd where I was playing, and immediately started chirping about it was ok as long as he had 1 foot in the box - a sure sign he was out of the box and knew it. I told him if both feet are on the ground at contact, they have to both be in the box. He said, "I've played a lot of tournaments and never been called out for being out of the box." We went back and forth a couple of times. Game resumed and he scored. From my position at 3rd, I saw him studying the rule book (surprise!) for the next 3 or 4 innings while they were at bat. I assume he was sure he could prove me wrong. He never said another word about it, and was very careful to stay well within the box the rest of his at-bats. I guess he found the rule.

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
In one of our ASA league games yesterday, a guy hit the ball to the outfield. As soon as he hit it, our pitcher told the ump the batter had one foot way out of the box at contact. Ump said he was ok at contact and then was out of the box. I think he either didn't see it or wasn't inclined to make the call. The guy made it all the way around to 3rd where I was playing, and immediately started chirping about it was ok as long as he had 1 foot in the box - a sure sign he was out of the box and knew it. I told him if both feet are on the ground at contact, they have to both be in the box. He said, "I've played a lot of tournaments and never been called out for being out of the box." We went back and forth a couple of times. Game resumed and he scored. From my position at 3rd, I saw him studying the rule book (surprise!) for the next 3 or 4 innings while they were at bat. I assume he was sure he could prove me wrong. He never said another word about it, and was very careful to stay well within the box the rest of his at-bats. I guess he found the rule.
Cool