Batter boxes???

irishblood9

Stay Gold, Ponyboy!
Anyone have any info on how to build a box under the batters box? Im not even sure of the correct terminology. Our fields get huge holes in the batter box by mid season so we wanted to install boxes of some sort to help fix this problem. Any info would be great. Thanks.

tbatti

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone have any info on how to build a box under the batters box? Im not even sure of the correct terminology. Our fields get huge holes in the batter box by mid season so we wanted to install boxes of some sort to help fix this problem. Any info would be great. Thanks.

??????????????????
You have to fill the hole in and pount the dirt down periodically throughout the season. What is a box going to do exactly?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
You need rain on your field. Rain loosens the dirt around the home plate so you can bring a nail drag across it and level it out.

It takes a lot of elbow grease and daily maintenance after each game, but it can be done. I used to maintain 3 fields by myself during the summer, and I had no problems keeping them dragged, level, and chalked throughout the entire season.

creative10

Banned User
I am assuming OP means a boxed in turf batting boxes. One thing you would have to check with is the town or whoever runs the parks cuz of liability. I know u cant do that in some parks around here cuz people have ****ed themselves up sliding at home and blowing knees out and ankles from sticking to the turf. 2nd I bring a flat edged shovel and tamper every time I hit bp so I can hit off a flat surface...I cant stand sitting in a hole.

irishblood9

Stay Gold, Ponyboy!
We got permission. I have played on fields with Astros turf/outdoor carpet in the BB. Just wondering if anyone ever did anything like this.

creative10

Banned User
We got permission. I have played on fields with Astros turf/outdoor carpet in the BB. Just wondering if anyone ever did anything like this.

your best bet is hit up ur local driving range and talk to the guy there...thats all they are is glorified T-boxes...heck they may even have some old ones laying around they dont even use.

Shooter217

Addicted to Softballfans
One of the more popular products out there is the 'Jox Box". If installed correctly, it is a very good product and eliminates holes being dug. You still get a good footing when hitting and sliding on it is no problem. The turf is installed under the playing surface and the top of the turf "grass" should be almost even with the playing surface. Then you rake dirt over it and you hardly notice it. This is the product we used on our fields for the past 4 years or so and they worked great.

http://www.adamrubber.com/jox_box_types.htm

The other option is to install clay for your batters box. We just redid our infield playing surface for our fields last August to a "synthetic" dirt. We took out the jox boxes that were installed on the fields and installed clay because the jox box wasn't necessary with the new mix and they weren't 100% sure it would work with the mix. We only played one season on the new fields with the new batter's box, but we have had no issues. Many players say they absolutely love them because it is close to impossible to "dig in", which keeps them flat all the time. The only negative that I have heard is that some players who really like to "dig in" say that the clay is too hard. But that just means it is doing what it is supposed to do and that is to eliminate those holes from forming.

Here are some pics of the installation:

BattersBox1.jpg

BattersBox3.jpg

BattersBox2.jpg

berglin11

Addicted to Softballfans
The other option is to install clay for your batters box. We just redid our infield playing surface for our fields last August to a "synthetic" dirt. We took out the jox boxes that were installed on the fields and installed clay because the jox box wasn't necessary with the new mix and they weren't 100% sure it would work with the mix. We only played one season on the new fields with the new batter's box, but we have had no issues. Many players say they absolutely love them because it is close to impossible to "dig in", which keeps them flat all the time. The only negative that I have heard is that some players who really like to "dig in" say that the clay is too hard. But that just means it is doing what it is supposed to do and that is to eliminate those holes from forming.

Here are some pics of the installation:

BattersBox1.jpg

BattersBox3.jpg

BattersBox2.jpg

That would be so nice if our local fields did something like that. Do you have information on cost by chance?

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans

We have something like this or the jockbox, whatever it is. They're slick. We don't even know they're there unless there's been a HUGE rain. Then it feels a tad spongy. But I didn't know our field had these for the first 5 years I played there. Just figured it out last year (after 3 days of constant rain) and I stepped into the box thinking I was on some sort of gymnastics floor.

Shooter217

Addicted to Softballfans
That would be so nice if our local fields did something like that. Do you have information on cost by chance?

If you are looking for just the cost of the batters box, then no, I do not have the cost of that, but my guess is that it wouldn't be too expensive. It would pretty much consist of digging out the batters box area and getting some pitching mound clay and packing it in. Should be fine as long as it mixes ok with the infield mix.

Our boxes were done as part of the complete infield redesign. I do have costs and prices for that, but it would be different for each field.