Batter called out?

GaBo

Is there a rule in USA/ASA senior softball that says if the batter's back foot is in front of the plate when contact is made with the ball that the batter is out?? How about SSUSA?

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
No such rule to my knowledge. As long as both feet are in the box batter is gtg. Perhaps a quirky league rule. Unless the ump ruled batter was to far out, out of batters box.

Last edited:

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I've never heard of that but I could see an umpire using that as a guide for himself. The front of the batters box as defined in the USSSA/GSL rule book is only 27 1/2" in front of the front edge of the plate. It would be pretty hard to take a full swing with your back foot in front of the plate while keeping your front foot in the batters box.

I would find it difficult to call without any chaulk. Hell, try making that call with the box clearly lined. The screaming, crying, and gnashing of teeth from grown men...

@ilyk2win has some well formed opinions on batter's box abuse.

Last edited:

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
USA/ASA box is 7' long. 3' from middle of plate back, 4ft from middle forward that would leave approx 39 1/2" from front edge which would not be totally impossible for someone with a short/no stride to take good swings. I have and I'm sure many/all of us have seen guys way out in front and out of the box so we all know with/without any lines it is ultimately umps discretion when making that call.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
USA/ASA box is 7' long. 3' from middle of plate back, 4ft from middle forward that would leave approx 39 1/2" from front edge which would not be totally impossible for someone with a short/no stride to take good swings. I have and I'm sure many/all of us have seen guys way out in front and out of the box so we all know with/without any lines it is ultimately umps discretion when making that call.
That is a more practical batters box for slowpitch.

When I umpire, a goal of mine is to have zero feedback from the coaches all game, shake em up and get out of there. When you start using discretion where every other umpire stayed out of it, you open yourself up to some real headaches.

Ultimately, I'm just a tile guy trying to make a few extra bucks and help out a UIC friend that needs bodies. I will step up my game when I do travel tournaments for like 14u-18u games but for the most part I'm just umping league ball. Get in, get out without anyone noticing.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
If the foot is on the ground outside the batter’s box on contact, the ball is dead and the batter is out. The space between the boxes in front of the plate is outside of the batter’s box so it’s possible to get an out this way. If the boxes aren’t drawn they still exist but you get a lot of leeway.

Any part of the foot in contact with the plate on contact and the same thing. Dead ball out.

jonsey

this is the new SSUSA batters box rule for senior softball.. also it does not state it but there is no longer a penalty for being out of the front of the box when making contact with a pitch as long as your rear foot is not in front of the front edge of home plate

§1.5 • BATTERS BOX and §7.3 • BATTING POSITION –
“The batter must take an initial position with his back foot no further forward than a line defining the front edge of home plate. The batter will be called out if he hits the ball when the back foot is completely further forward than the line defining the front edge of home plate. NOTE: All other illegally batted ball infractions regarding the side and rear lines of the batter’s box, along with stepping on home plate, remain in effect.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Here we go with ssusa going rouge and making up some bs. So the sides and back of (batters box) are still relevant but the front of the box is not. Smh

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
If the foot is on the ground outside the batter’s box on contact, the ball is dead and the batter is out. The space between the boxes in front of the plate is outside of the batter’s box so it’s possible to get an out this way. If the boxes aren’t drawn they still exist but you get a lot of leeway.

Any part of the foot in contact with the plate on contact and the same thing. Dead ball out.

The ENTIRE foot has to be out of the box upon contact to be an infraction. If any part of the foot is still at least touching the batter's box, it is GTG. I know you know this, but important to clarify for those who are easily confused.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
The ENTIRE foot has to be out of the box upon contact to be an infraction. If any part of the foot is still at least touching the batter's box, it is GTG. I know you know this, but important to clarify for those who are easily confused.
This is/has always been the way it is/was understood.
this is the new SSUSA batters box rule for senior softball.. also it does not state it but there is no longer a penalty for being out of the front of the box when making contact with a pitch as long as your rear foot is not in front of the front edge of home plate

§1.5 • BATTERS BOX and §7.3 • BATTING POSITION –
“The batter must take an initial position with his back foot no further forward than a line defining the front edge of home plate. The batter will be called out if he hits the ball when the back foot is completely further forward than the line defining the front edge of home plate. NOTE: All other illegally batted ball infractions regarding the side and rear lines of the batter’s box, along with stepping on home plate, remain in effect.
But as stated here^^ the (new ssusa seniors softball rule) says (a line defining front of PLATE) does not indicate to me the front of the batters box. I would like to know if this infact is how ssusa is enforcing the batters box rules?!?

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Is there a rule in USA/ASA senior softball that says if the batter's back foot is in front of the plate when contact is made with the ball that the batter is out?? How about SSUSA?
The question that op asks is (back foot in front of plate) not front of batters box.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
It re
Great.. we have (USA/ASA) sanctioned senior softball that now (mimics) utrip rules. Smh.
It reduces the crying from players who think bc there is no chalk that there is no box. Also makes it easier for the umpire to call. I'm not saying I agree with it or even like it, but those are the benefits I've seen.

nike33kjk

Addicted to Softballfans
Since many of the batter box lines are wiped clear, the rule couldn't be defined. We've played on turf fields where the lines were wrong. We've played on "short" boxes. Back foot ahead of the plate on contact? That's an out.
Agree to disagree, but that's what SSUSA is implementing going forward in 2024.
(rule doesn't concern me as I'm one of the 'freak show' hitters who stand at the back.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I get it, and as for myself it doesn't effect me as I to stand back instead of forward, and I get it as far as making it easier for umps to enforce. My concern is, unfortunately around here with the umps we have that do not necessarily keep up with USA/ASA rule much less SSUSA rules I am sure this is only going to create more havoc and arguing from those players that are just as clueless if not moreso than the umps.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Ah, but it's not really the "entire foot". The interpretation I've always been given is that all parts of the foot that are in contact with the ground outside the box. So, on the ball of your foot outside the box and the heel is raised over the box, you're still technically out of the box. It's ticky tacky and you're going to get a load of leeway from me on that one. Unless it's absolutely clear to me that there is no way any part of that foot is on the ground inside the box then you're good.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Ah, but it's not really the "entire foot". The interpretation I've always been given is that all parts of the foot that are in contact with the ground outside the box. So, on the ball of your foot outside the box and the heel is raised over the box, you're still technically out of the box. It's ticky tacky and you're going to get a load of leeway from me on that one. Unless it's absolutely clear to me that there is no way any part of that foot is on the ground inside the box then you're good.
I've always just rolled my eyes at the umpires who try to say the batter hit the ball before their front foot touched the ground when there's a clear violation (think stepping fully in front of the plate and leaving an imprint). One in particular umpire I've seen call this multiple times was a very good hitter when he played. Umpires have as many cop-outs as players it seems.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I've always just rolled my eyes at the umpires who try to say the batter hit the ball before their front foot touched the ground when there's a clear violation (think stepping fully in front of the plate and leaving an imprint). One in particular umpire I've seen call this multiple times was a very good hitter when he played. Umpires have as many cop-outs as players it seems.
Man, I only have one cop-out. "I didn't see it." I usually run with that one.