USSSA Batter swings at ball while walking to first

pompetti

Softball Player
Batter has full count. Pitcher delivers pitch 15 feet short of the plate and up the first base line.
Seeing the pitch is no where near the plate, batter starts walking to first while the ball is still in the air.

While walking towards first and well out of the batters box, he takes a golf type swing at the still moving ball and hits it to the shortstop.

Is this nothing? As the defensive team, we argue 2 points
  1. Batter was out of batters box when he made contact with the ball, should be called an out.
  2. Batter swung at a ball when no one was expecting it and could have injured someone, that's unsportsmanlike conduct, deserves a warning or possible ejection.
USSSA states in the 2015 case book that swinging at a ball that bounces in front of the plate is the same as swinging at the ball in the air.

Umpire says it's just a walk, and that pitcher verbally indicated an intentional walk while the ball was in the air. If this was the case, I can understand point 1 being off the table for discussion. Point 2 should still be valid.

What say you?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I've got an out for being out of the batter's box but that's it. He hit a legally pitched ball into the field of play, what is unsportsmanlike about that? Pitcher can't indicate an intentional walk after the ball has been pitched. Calling the out will also make sure he doesn't do it again.

pompetti

Softball Player
I've got an out for being out of the batter's box but that's it. He hit a legally pitched ball into the field of play, what is unsportsmanlike about that? Pitcher can't indicate an intentional walk after the ball has been pitched. Calling the out will also make sure he doesn't do it again.

I was in the outfield and didn't see the exact sequence. Suppose pitcher verbally indicated intentional walk, then made the pitch. The batter and the other team started complaining about being walked. "We came here to swing" "Throw it over the plate" etc. He wasn't happy about it and took a swing at the ball anyway.

2 is not even a thing

Even if it was an intentional walk and the ball was dead? Hypothetically, would swinging and hitting the ball during a pitchers warm-up be anything?

pompetti

Softball Player
2 is not even a thing
Which part isn't a thing? Hitting a ball during a dead ball situation? Or doing so isn't a violation of any rule. The ball was hit, that's a thing. As an umpire, you would have no problem with it? Or is it that the batted ball didn't hurt anyone so it's not a thing.

Kodiak1

Addicted to Softballfans
Batter has full count. Pitcher delivers pitch 15 feet short of the plate and up the first base line.
Seeing the pitch is no where near the plate, batter starts walking to first while the ball is still in the air.

While walking towards first and well out of the batters box, he takes a golf type swing at the still moving ball and hits it to the shortstop.

Is this nothing? As the defensive team, we argue 2 points
  1. Batter was out of batters box when he made contact with the ball, should be called an out.
  2. Batter swung at a ball when no one was expecting it and could have injured someone, that's unsportsmanlike conduct, deserves a warning or possible ejection.
USSSA states in the 2015 case book that swinging at a ball that bounces in front of the plate is the same as swinging at the ball in the air.

Umpire says it's just a walk, and that pitcher verbally indicated an intentional walk while the ball was in the air. If this was the case, I can understand point 1 being off the table for discussion. Point 2 should still be valid.

What say you?

It's a live ball, 1 and or 2

If you walk him it's a dead ball, he could hit it to the moon and only 2 could potentially happen.

Joker

Which part isn't a thing? Hitting a ball during a dead ball situation? Or doing so isn't a violation of any rule. The ball was hit, that's a thing. As an umpire, you would have no problem with it? Or is it that the batted ball didn't hurt anyone so it's not a thing.
It's not a thing

Kodiak1

Addicted to Softballfans
I was in the outfield and didn't see the exact sequence. Suppose pitcher verbally indicated intentional walk, then made the pitch. The batter and the other team started complaining about being walked. "We came here to swing" "Throw it over the plate" etc. He wasn't happy about it and took a swing at the ball anyway.

Even if it was an intentional walk and the ball was dead? Hypothetically, would swinging and hitting the ball during a pitchers warm-up be anything?

I'd say a really strong warning or walk to the bus. If you're that clueless, maybe watch a few games first or go play Pokémon.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I suppose you could warn your pitcher. Why did he throw a pitch after he intentionally walked the batter? If he doesn't throw the pitch, the batter can't swing when no one is expecting it.

There also seems to be more to the situation than being let on. The pitcher intentionally walks the batter, then throws a pitch up the line where the batter might be walking. It seems like maybe there might have been some talking going back and forth.

As for a batter swinging during warm-ups, I wouldn't let him in the box while the pitcher is warming up.That is a completely different situation than the pitcher pitching a ball somewhere he didn't think the batter could get to it being a smart ass and the batter swinging at it.

oppotaco13

How can you call for a walk while the ball is in the air? What if he threw a cookie? Why not just point to first or roll the ball in? Makes no sense.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
I use to play with a guy that gets intentionally walked a lot, really good hitter...

When pitchers pitch it short, he'll hit it after it bounces back up...a lot of players aren't ready for it and he usually gets an easy double. I've seen him hit bombs after the bounce too...funny as hell!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I use to play with a guy that gets intentionally walked a lot, really good hitter...

When pitchers pitch it short, he'll hit it after it bounces back up...a lot of players aren't ready for it and he usually gets an easy double. I've seen him hit bombs after the bounce too...funny as hell!

I doubt it. Ball cannot be batted legally after it touches the ground or plate assuming U-trip plays by the rules everyone else does...or maybe not :)

Last edited:

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
I doubt it. Ball cannot be batted legally after it touches the ground or plate assuming U-trip plays by the rules everyone else does...or maybe not :)

Doubt what?

This was in our NSA league, no one complained about it cause most of us know eachother and we just have fun with it...like league is supposed to be...

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe correct ruling is batter is out for hitting a ball while outside the box. Whether or not the ball bounces first has no relevance, even a pitch that would be a dead ball can be swung at and hit as a live pitch. Fact, all players on the field should be ready to field the ball on any given pitch. And a batter has to assume every pitch is live unless time has been called by the umpire or the umpire has awarded the walk prior to the release.
Also pitcher should be warned and next time it is an ejection. A player is not allowed to talk to or distract the hitter once the pitch is released. Saying it is a intentional walk while the ball is in flight is a violation of that. Also if he said it was an intentional walk and then pitched it could be considered unsportsmanlike conduct. Bottom line if he wanted to walk him he should of just told the ump to put him on or wait out the clock on his release for automatic ball calls.

Last edited: