Batting gloves or bare hands?

mattya420

Manager
Anybody else like me and prefer to not wear batting gloves? Not sure if it's all mental or not but I feel I have a better grip/feel of the bat without them on. I know most people prefer to wear batting gloves all season but I only wear gloves when it's cold out.

P.S. I also don't wear condoms.....

Last edited:

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
I haven't for a long time, Bought a pair this year for BP and felt great.... Not sure why I quit buying them before.

I wear batting gloves because I can't stand stock grips, too thick. I put a thin layer of tape on and stick spray it before I swing.

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
I know what you're saying about the grip/feel, had to make myself wear gloves.

No condoms here either, might be why we have 3 little girls running around haha

pontiacfb78

Star Player
I can't be bothered to carry around a pair of batting gloves. Too bulky to have in my pocket, and too much hassle to dig around in my bag before I hit.

Plus, ya know, I don't have sissy hands.....

mattya420

Manager
I wear batting gloves because I can't stand stock grips, too thick. I put a thin layer of tape on and stick spray it before I swing.

Every grip gets replaced by a Lizard Skin, real easy on the hands. I also switched to holding the bat with my bottom three fingers dropped which is also much easier on the hands

bartxe

1st base coach
I've always worn batting gloves, since i can remember. I ripped a pair and not had a back up once, I was completely a mental thing but I sucked until I got a new pair. Try to keep a back up at all times now. No batting glove under my fielding glove tho.

I usually always wrap it up...

Every grip gets replaced by a Lizard Skin, real easy on the hands. I also switched to holding the bat with my bottom three fingers dropped which is also much easier on the hands

I think the Lizard Skin is also too thick. I prefer the tape and knob it because I drop two and overlap and it's more comfortable with that rubber on. :biggthumpup:

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
I will wear them for batting practice sessions if I am going to be taking a lot of swings. Never in a game.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
i wore batting gloves for years. but last year i switched back to bear hands and will not go back. it tears my hands up for the first couple weeks of the new season, but after that, i should get a nice callous and no more blisters.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
Don't like Lizard Skins. I stopped using batting gloves when my Tilmans tore last fall. I always keep a cheap pair or two in case I start to get blisters, but I get less blisters without. I haven't hit more than 70 balls at a time, though. My grips are either stock, Gamma, or friction tape over athletic tape. No problems so far.

The slow decline of flavored condoms is annoying. Keeps the taste from being a deterrent.

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans
meme3066233047_zpscyymi6fi.jpg

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
I never wore batting gloves due to loss of 'feel' until this year. I'm 32, and work in the trades. I just don't have the grip strength I used to and I feel the bat rotate every now and then. I bought some nice Under Armour gloves, but picked up some Mechanix Grip Gloves from Menards to use during BP so I don't ruin my nice ones. I actually think I prefer the Mechanix, and they were half the price ! I'll never go back to bare hands.

BennyD417

Baller
I have done both. I used athletic tape with gloves and tar, but now I use stock grip or lizard skin with a knob cuff. I prefer no gloves and I still use a baseball grip. I just like the knob cuff to leave my bottom fingers kinda loose. Oh, and no plastic wrap either. Forget all that noise.....

jgerb88

MARK IT 0!!
#1 for all the macho men who say no gloves cuz of manly hands if you use a grip then u infact have the exact opposite. Leave the Lizard Skins for the ladies.
#2 if you like adhesive, pine tar, etc then tape will give you the best grip.

I myself use Howies Hockey Tape and 3M Super 77 adhesive and if you've ever used that **** you know you need gloves unless u want to peel your skin off everytime u drop the bat plus once your in the field the last thing you want is adhesive on your throwing hand.

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
I have pretty big hands and prefer a somewhat thick grip. I'm not a fan of the athletic tape, usually use a 1.1mm lizard skin. I do have an evil bamboom with tape but that has a pretty thick handle to begin with.

jgerb88

MARK IT 0!!
That's certainly understandable I just get a kick out of guys who say they hVe manly hands because they dont use gloves but yet the majority probably pee sitting down

Original Donkey

Older, yet still fast
I quit wearing gloves about 5 years ago, but always keep one in the bag if its wet out. Had a bat go about 80 feet once when it was raining and that was scary. Just missed my buddies dad standing behind the 3rd base fence.

justwhippin

Addicted to Softballfans
Tape sucks.... gets very slippery imo and thats why you need spray tac with it lol. The new demarinj grips are the goods and lizard skins are gtg also just pricey. I'm older as well and need gloves or the bat slips and i lose control.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
I didn't wear them for a long time. Carry over from the baseball days. I bought a pair when I started doing more cage and dry swing (Macenko-type stuff) work, and just got some comfortable using them in drills that I started using them in the games. Haven't switched back. I've really liked the Easton VRS stuff.

I don't wear a batting glove on D though. Never liked how the double glove thing felt.

I don't wear them in field. I've seen some goons wear them under their glove and on their throwing hand. I don't know if that's worse, or they guy that wears two gloves while golfing.

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
Can't do the under the glove thing. My hand is pretty tight in there as is and I feel like it would be more likely to fall off with the added layer.

jgerb88

MARK IT 0!!
Tape can indeed get slippery ( i found that to be moreso with actual bat tape) thats why I started using howies it seems to have a tackier feel. One other negative fact about tape is if you prefer a thicker grip like myself or bruiser tape ends up weighing quite a bit more. The average stock grip is around .6oz but to equal its thickness in tape takes about 1.2-1.5oz worth.

mattya420

Manager
I'm in investments and insurance so I don't claim to have calloused "man hands" at all. It's all about feel for me. Batting gloves just don't feel right. I have a couple sets in my bag, I also have a set of Mechanix gloves and a set of Fox downhill mountain bike gloves for when it's really cold out (yesterday)
I almost feel like the bats going to fly out of my hands when I wear them.

don't even get me started on guys wearing gloves on both hands in the field...that's just weird, and useless.

I like the 1.1 mm lizard skins with a knob cuff under the grip. Yes theyre more money than tape or other grips, but the skins really last a long time.