Batting helmet for pitching

ThroughbeingIAN

Starting Player
I am the only one finding it comical that OP is trying to protect himself on the cheap? Dude you only have 1 face and 1 brain. $100 for a lax helmet is not too much.
Nothing wrong with being cheap.. Is it comical to shop for low rates on health insurance? Yolo right? $400 a month for premiums is not too much!

Choosing to get protection is an easy choice. Choosing something thats comfortable and functional is more difficult.

bmoses121

Extra Hitter
[GALLERY=media, 23280]Lacross by blakcherry329 posted Feb 22, 2014 at 3:18 PM[/GALLERY]

I use a LaX Helmet with the middle "t" bar cut out. Perfect vision.
Looks like a 12 inch Softball might be able to fit through that, can a 12 inch softball fit through there or no?

bmoses121

Extra Hitter
using this mask is out since i always wear a cap, i need something with a brim... i can't beleive i thought my ca p would fit over this thing...

now i'm thinking i should also get a batting helmet.... think i'll head over to ****'s this morning so i can make sure to get something that fits right...plus my concern is weight which is why i went with a mask initially... :cool:
I have a new batting helmet I'm looking to sell, Mizuno MVP G2 adjustable, $35 shipped

Attachments

• IMG_7755.JPG
    IMG_7755.JPG
    878.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7759.JPG
    IMG_7759.JPG
    595.3 KB · Views: 12

blakcherry329

My main complaints with the lax helmet were I wear sunglasses under it without cutting out padding, it moved without the chinstrap attached, and Laci of throat protection. Imo if you have to wear the chinstrap it's no longer more comfortable than the catcher's style.
As you can see, you can wear glasses, just not every pair of glasses will fit. The arms have to sit flat against your face. If your helmet moves without a chinstrap, then you don't have the right size helmet(or an irregular head, lol). I never used the chin strap and the helmet is snug and doesn't move. Very comfortable.

Did you actually use a throat protector, too? That overkill imo. I'm always looking at the ball, so my throat is never exposed.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Either I have an irregular head or I move more than most. I'd say both. Mine was too tight if anything. Could be why the glasses didn't fit, and they moved as well if I did shove then on.

No throat protector but my SS around 2004 too a bad hop to his throat and it almost swelled shut. He played ss in college so I'm not taking any chances. I pin that extra wire to my chest on the low rollers.

blakcherry329

Well yeah, bad hops can happen in the infield, but if you have a helmet with a cage, the throat is protected if you are looking at the ball. If you flinch, then that's on you because all of your protection is in the front. Never turn your head.

Pretty

Softball is cool
Nothing wrong with being cheap.. Is it comical to shop for low rates on health insurance? Yolo right? $400 a month for premiums is not too much!

Choosing to get protection is an easy choice. Choosing something thats comfortable and functional is more difficult.

Terrible analogy. That is a monthly recurring cost. Your worrying about a one time cost of $30 vs $100.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Terrible analogy. That is a monthly recurring cost. Your worrying about a one time cost of $30 vs $100.
If you don't wear the chin strap does the lax helmet really offer $70 more protection though? The case is still going to hit your face on both most likely. You could really make an argument that the baseball softball helmet is at least designed for that type of impact where the lax helmet is designed for a much different ball. That's without even talking about altering the helmet by cutting the bars out.

Pretty

Softball is cool
My lax mask does without the strap much lower than a batting helmet with a mask. I cut the middle bar out and my opening is only 4 inches wide. No way a ball is getting in there.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure if that's auto correct on your end or you're making fun of me. My auto correct is horrible.

Normy

My buddy Chad might wear one at SS next year. This ball wasn't even hit hard and it got him pretty good.

ThroughbeingIAN

Starting Player
Its a fine analogy...
Anyway not sure why you posted in the first place. I never said anything about not being willing to spend the money for a helmet. I asked if anyone uses this helmet setup and pointed out that its a cheaper option.

WiLD53

My buddy Chad might wear one at SS next year. This ball wasn't even hit hard and it got him pretty good.
my shortstop came back from an ankle injury that kept him out 5 weeks only to have something like this take him out in his first inning back... so he missed that game too... :cool:

Last edited:

Normy

my shortstop came back fran an ankle injury that kept him out 5 weeks only to have something like this taske him out in his first inning back... so he missed that game too... :cool:
That sucks. Knock on formica...so far I've been lucky. Hope I didn't just jinx myself...

WiLD53

My lax mask does without the strap much lower than a batting helmet with a mask. I cut the middle bar out and my opening is only 4 inches wide. No way a ball is getting in there.
what balls do you use... the ones we use are about 3 7/8 " in diameter...:cool:

Attachments

• 0217180316.jpg
    0217180316.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 15

blakcherry329

If you don't wear the chin strap does the lax helmet really offer $70 more protection though? The case is still going to hit your face on both most likely. You could really make an argument that the baseball softball helmet is at least designed for that type of impact where the lax helmet is designed for a much different ball. That's without even talking about altering the helmet by cutting the bars out.
The cage integrity isn't changed enough where a ball will bend it, imo. I haven't come close taking one off the cage, so I not 100% certain. But I'm sure enough that I'm not worried when I pitch with my LAX helmet on. Also, have you picked up a lacrosse ball? I bet the impact from a midfielder's shot on the face mask would be equal to, if not, greater than a softball off the mask. LAX balls are smaller and more dense than a softball.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The cage integrity isn't changed enough where a ball will bend it, imo. I haven't come close taking one off the cage, so I not 100% certain. But I'm sure enough that I'm not worried when I pitch with my LAX helmet on. Also, have you picked up a lacrosse ball? I bet the impact from a midfielder's shot on the face mask would be equal to, if not, greater than a softball off the mask. LAX balls are smaller and more dense than a softball.
I don't think think the cage would bend, but the only thing stopping the cage from hitting your face is the forehead. It's going to push the cage back into your face. Better than the ball hitting you full force of course, but they're both likely to not stop all injury to you. If that's the case, is a LAX helmet really worth $70 more? I'm just arguing the point that you shouldn't skimp on your health, while saying that you should buy a helmet that is made for another thing entirely.

I use lacrosse balls for self massage. I don't know how the speeds compare, but I'm pretty sure a batted ball would be much faster.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not so much I guess. The record for LAX shot is 114-116 mph, so I guess it's not much faster.

blakcherry329

yeah, but a lacrosse ball is only about 1.5 ounces less and a whole lot smaller. If the lacrosse cage is built for that, I'm very confident that a softball, that's less dense with a bigger surface area, won't do as much damage. Especially pushing in the cage, like you think. I have a lot of room between my nose and the bars, and the padding in the helmet is going to absorb some ot the force, also.

WiLD53

yeah, but a lacrosse ball is only about 1.5 ounces less and a whole lot smaller. If the lacrosse cage is built for that, I'm very confident that a softball, that's less dense with a bigger surface area, won't do as much damage. Especially pushing in the cage, like you think. I have a lot of room between my nose and the bars, and the padding in the helmet is going to absorb some ot the force, also.
i think what jbo is saying is that without the chin strap, it seems like the ball will push the hemet backwards... i'm wondering the same thing... if you take a shot of the mask, will it pivot the helemt on your forehead, pushing the cage into your face? or even pop it off your head maybe?

i was trying some on last night but i was in a hurry so i didn't get to assess them as well as i'd like... they do sit more gently on your head than a batting helmet which is intended more for a shorter time frame to wear... but without a chin strap, what keeps the cage from being pushed back into your face? are you confident that won't happen? :cool:

Last edited:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Like how easy a football Helmet pops off if the chin strap isn't on. All the padding is on the back of your head except the forehead so that won't help at all.

Lacrosse ball is way more elastic than a classic m for sure.

blakcherry329

Number one, a ball hitting the face mask is not like a Football collision.
My helmet doesn't move at all. I never have to take it off, like for popups and stuff. It's secure and I'm fully confident in the mask's ability to protect me from major injury. MAYBE, if I get hit directly on the brim, I might get a slight concussion, but I really doubt it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not talking about a football collision. I'm talking like when the dipsticks go out on the field to jaw with their helmet on, but they forgot their chinstrap and as soon as someone chucks them in the face the cage hits their face and the helmet pops off.

Mine jiggled when I backpedaled, and it jiggled when I was running for a slower groundball. I never take anything off for pop ups. It would certainly have moved if I'd been trying to get a foul ball, but there's a serious problem if I'm the first one to one of those!

WarHorse

Star Player
idk about you all but I wear a batting helmet everywhere. Batting in slow pitch, batting in baseball, walking the bases, hitting homeruns, playing the outfield, being the waterboy, driving to work, making love to my fleshlight. Everywhere. Can never be too safe.

WiLD53

i do like to take my cap off for pop ups... so that's something i'll have to get used to as well with a helmet...:cool:

WarHorse

Star Player
i do like to take my cap off for pop ups... so that's something i'll have to get used to as well with a helmet...:cool:

Treat it like being a catcher: when the ball is popped up, grab the bottom of your mask and rip it up towards your head. It'll fly off and VOILA you can see everything.