Batting order advice

dandelos

Part Time Player
We have to win our next game to make it into the playoffs, so I thought I'd stop by here to get some input, especially now that we have some decent data.

We will probably only have 11-12 of these players available for the next game, but either way, how would you order them in our batting order based on our stats to-date?

vd0xxcy.png

robokill

Manager
Thanks! You guys seem to differ greatly on #8. Would you mind sharing your thought process on where you put him?

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing you're joking, right?
As someone who's spent way too much time on this topic, just order them by OBP and then shuffle some people a spot or two up or down to separate your power hitters. As long as you don't go worst OBP to best it will make little difference.

#10 is your obvious power source. You want him up with runners on base so the 3 or 4 hole is logical for him. Disregarding speed, you want your best OBP. guys in the beginning of your lineup. Speed as a whole is not overrated but plotting your lineup based on speed is pointless. You want your best OBP to get the most opportunities. Slow or fast, your runners will score when you're hitting.

10 (power and a solid obp to boot, can't go wrong with him here)
who cares after that.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
Even with all the stats, you can still use the eyeball method. You know who your good hitters are. And if the bottom of the order manages to get a few runners on, you want good hitters back at the top of the lineup to bring them in.
Top: OBP
Cleanup: OBP/power
Middle: Might get on base
Bottom: Won't get on base

Decide for yourself who on your team fits those roles.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
Your slugging calculation is wrong, not that it really matters since you only have 1 power bat.

I agree with 2TransAms. Top OBP first, then power, then consider who you would want coming up with 2 outs and the game on the line.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sprinkle in some good hitters at the bottom, don't put headcases at leadoff or last, and don't put all your speed after slow guys that get on alot. Anything more is overthinking it. Also, if you're winning don't change anything

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
Thanks! You guys seem to differ greatly on #8. Would you mind sharing your thought process on where you put him?

I put #8 at the bottom because after the first inning the order completely changes. Having a consistent singles hitter at the bottom gives the top of the lineup something to work with, too, and get some momentum going. You also don't want a really slow guy clogging the bases for your better hitters.

Dogue

Evil Genius
Sprinkle in some good hitters at the bottom, don't put headcases at leadoff or last, and don't put all your speed after slow guys that get on alot. Anything more is overthinking it. Also, if you're winning don't change anything
Agree, you need to mix in some decent hitters with the worst hitters otherwise you're likely to give the other team 2-3 easy innings on D.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree, you need to mix in some decent hitters with the worst hitters otherwise you're likely to give the other team 2-3 easy innings on D.
If you just go top to bottom, and end up stranding a bunch because the bottom is all your worst hitters, that can easily creep up the lineup as the guys getting left on base try to do to much to stop that.

Everyone makes outs. Yeah you obviously want your best hittets to get the most abs, but you also have to be able to go on runs.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
5 hr in 35 ab's is not much of a power hitter in my opinion. sounds like a guy with occasional pop. we had guys with 4 or 5 hrs this season who are def not hr hitters.

i would go

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
5 out of 31 isn't bad if they only get one per game. If they have unlimited, or rarely hit their limit, I agree, it's not really a HR hitter.

dandelos

Part Time Player
Your slugging calculation is wrong, not that it really matters since you only have 1 power bat.

I agree with 2TransAms. Top OBP first, then power, then consider who you would want coming up with 2 outs and the game on the line.

Thanks for the heads up on the incorrect SLG calculation. I found the error and fixed it. The formula originally included FCs and walks too.

Terrordome666

Addicted to Softballfans
First I want to know who is pitching in this league, Stevie Wonder? Look at all those walks.

Second, from my experience, the only factor speed has in the lineup is to make sure you are not putting a slow guy in front of a fast guy. A lot of people will bat a big dumb slow guy last but have a fast guy batting first. Basically in doing so, you are making your fast guy a big dumb slow guy.

dandelos

Part Time Player
First I want to know who is pitching in this league, Stevie Wonder? Look at all those walks.

Second, from my experience, the only factor speed has in the lineup is to make sure you are not putting a slow guy in front of a fast guy. A lot of people will bat a big dumb slow guy last but have a fast guy batting first. Basically in doing so, you are making your fast guy a big dumb slow guy.

Your observation about the walks intrigued me so I did some math...11% of our ***ulative plate appearances were walks. Not really sure how that compares with global league averages.

Your second point was something I've not really thought about before, thanks for that tip.

Terrordome666

Addicted to Softballfans
Your observation about the walks intrigued me so I did some math...11% of our ***ulative plate appearances were walks. Not really sure how that compares with global league averages.

Your second point was something I've not really thought about before, thanks for that tip.

I looked at my teams stats from last season. 9 walks in 374 AB's

Terrordome666

Addicted to Softballfans
My only other suggestion is I like to bat a lefty or someone that hits to Right field 2nd. This gives your first hitter a better chance of making it to third on a base hit.

So when your #3 hitter comes up runners are on 1st and 3rd.... if you are playing an undisciplined team, there is a good chance they are going to try to throw out your guy going to third, if that is the case, you should be sitting there with a guy on 3rd and 2nd...