ASA Batting out of order?

mlpower

Swingin'!
1 Out and a runner on 3rd....
Guy has two strikes on him.
He Fouls off a ball. Doesnt realize he is out.
Ump never calls out.
Everyone watches the foul ball go into the trees.
The ump grabs a new ball and throws it out to the pitcher.

The pitcher pitches and the same batter hits a SAC Fly thinking there is only one out.

Ump calls Out #3. Our bench on has 2 outs marked after the sac fly.

He realizes it's the same batter and declares batting out of order.

I'm not sure if he was right or wrong. He was probably right, but I Wanted to see if anyone had experienced anything like this before?

350x

Demarini Advisory Staff
how does the whole team not realize he's out and let him swing at the next ball ?

jlsjls020105

Addicted to Softballfans
how does the whole team not realize he's out and let him swing at the next ball ?

His team probably thought they were getting away with something, and the pitching team....???? Well, I don't know but it sounds like they questioned everything after the sac fly and then the umpire made a decision.

middlesopenalld

Extra Hitter
If i hit a foul and not called out I think i'd swing at the next pitch....DB umps here would lie before saying they made a mistake so i'd probably be good

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Did the defensive manager actually appeal batting out of order, or did he just complain about the number of outs? If he didn't specifically make his appeal that the batter batted out of order, it is NOT a proper appeal.

If the defensive team did actually appeal batting out of order, did they do it BEFORE all infielders had left fair territory? If not, then this was NOT a proper appeal.

Did the umpire just impose a batting out of order penalty WITHOUT a proper appeal being made? He is NOT supposed to do that! This is an appeal play and the umpire must not rule on it until it is PROPERLY appealed.

BOO plays can get pretty confusing. The final outcome can depend on how the appeal was made, when it was made and which team notices it. Just from the description, I'm not really seeing anything that tells me this was even appealed properly in the first place.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like DB umpire to me. Why would he not reinforce the fact that the batter is out?

Yeah...it's always the umpire's fault...despite the fact that you have two entire teams watching the game, teams keeping a book and at least twenty players watching this that can, I assume, count to "three" just as well as anyone else.

Sure, an umpire should call the out, but just because he didn't (who knows why) it doesn't change the fact that this batter WAS out on the third strike. Maybe this umpire was asleep at the wheel, but apparently twenty players watching the same game were too!

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Oh come on Bret!!!

Yeah...it's always the umpire's fault...despite the fact that you have two entire teams watching the game, teams keeping a book and at least twenty players watching this that can, I assume, count to "three" just as well as anyone else.

Sure, an umpire should call the out, but just because he didn't (who knows why) it doesn't change the fact that this batter WAS out on the third strike. Maybe this umpire was asleep at the wheel, but apparently twenty players watching the same game were too!

You know the minute we put our pretty powder blue shirts on that its going to be our fault. No matter what happens, its always "our" fault. It doesn't matter that the defense committed 9 errors or that the offense hit into 7 double plays. We're being paid to be there, it has to be our fault!

350x

Demarini Advisory Staff
he should of said u are out but iam going to assume the ump turned around to get another game ball and did not realize its was the same guy . so did the same guy make the first out to ?

beernbombs

Abby's dad
You know the minute we put our pretty powder blue shirts on that its going to be our fault. No matter what happens, its always "our" fault. It doesn't matter that the defense committed 9 errors or that the offense hit into 7 double plays. We're being paid to be there, it has to be our fault!

Not true! Sometimes it's the league or tournament director's fault.:D

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Let me try to muddle through this...

- Batter hits a foul ball with two strikes. This batter is out- no matter if the umpire announced it or not. There are now two outs.

- Same batter remains at the plate. He hits a fly ball that is caught. This is the third out. The run does not count!

- IF...no proper appeal for batting out of order is made...the half-inning is over. There can be no additional penalty.

- IF...there is a proper appeal for BOO...the batter who should have batted is called out. That would be the third out. And, again, the run would not count. Next time this team bats, the lead-off batter is whoever follows the batter that was just called out for not batting in his proper place.

Besides the fact that there doesn't seem to have been a proper appeal made in the first place, I would wonder about a couple of other things. When this umpire decided he would call BOO (which he shouldn't have without a proper appeal), which batter did he call out or what penalty did he impose? And, did he negate the run that scored on the sacrafice fly?

I have never had this happen to me before, but I have heard of it happening to other umpires. A batter makes an out, for some reason the umpire gets distracted, then he doesn't notice that the retired batter has remained at the plate. I guess I can see where it might happen, but like to think I pay enough attention to the game that it won't happen to me!

Now, if this umpire had been following one of the most simple and basic umpire mechanics we're supposed to follow, it probably would have averted this whole mess. When the batter got his second strike, the umpire should have clearly given the count. Just holding up his fingers and announcing, "Two balls, two strikes"- like he's supposed to!- probably would have clued somebody in that the foul ball was the third strike.

When umpires don't follow the most basic mechanics...stuff like this is more likely to happen! There's a reason we are supposed to do things like this and the reason usually is that, if we do, everybody's on the same page and you don't get yourself in these crazy situations.

mlpower

Swingin'!
Basically, the same guy made two outs in the same at bat! LOL He owes a ton of beers now!

The defending team after realizing what had happened did yell out if he fouled out previously, then he is now batting out of order. I don't know how neither team even realized he had fouled out already. However umpires do lose track of strikes from time to time. So maybe some did realize it and didnt say anything because the ump didnt call him out after his 2 strike foul.

Thanks for the input guys... Just a weird weird happening on the diamond!

We were up by a good amount at the time, so we all just let it go and got a laugh out of it more than anything.

This happened to me last night, (well a little different.) The team batted a couple, had two on. Then, a guy gets up and smashes a gap scoring one and moving one to 3rd. The scorekeeper called down and said batted out of order. The UMP stated that the guy that hit was down the list, but batted here because the guy originaly in that batting spot didn't show up, and they didn't have time to make changes. (We started 35 minutes late). The UMP said " it's just an order, I dont care" and let play continue?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
The scorekeeper called down and said batted out of order...

By "scorekeeper" do you mean someone who is supposed to be a neutral third party, who is supplied by the league and not a member of either team?

If so...this is NOT a valid appeal! An appeal MUST come from a representative of one of the actual teams playing the game. Somebody who is there just to keep score should STFU when it comes to rules violations or appeal plays.

I've never ejected a scorekeeper before...but this one would be on thin ice if he pulled that! Then again, since this umpire seems to think that "it's just an order and it's no big deal"...I'm sending my clean-up hitter to the plate a couple of times every inning... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
By "scorekeeper" do you mean someone who is supposed to be a neutral third party, who is supplied by the league and not a member of either team?

If so...this is NOT a valid appeal! An appeal MUST come from a representative of one of the actual teams playing the game. Somebody who is there just to keep score should STFU when it comes to rules violations or appeal plays.

I've never ejected a scorekeeper before...but this one would be on thin ice if he pulled that! Then again, since this umpire doesn't seem to think that "it's just an order and it's no big deal"...I'm sending my clean-up hitter to the plate a couple of times every inning... :rolleyes:

I had a little "chat" with a scorekeeper last night for pulling something similar on me. I'm already a few batters into the top of the 2nd when I hear her talking with the home team's coach. I've known her for years, so I knew by the tone of her voice that something had just happened and that I needed to keep my ears perked.

I then hear her say to him, "okay, I'm going to take one of your runs off the board." :eek:

"Time!"

At this point, I HAVE to know what the hell is going on. I try to talk with her about it, but she kept insisting that she had it under control. When it was all said and done, what I THINK happened was when there were 2 outs, someone's spot came up in the line-up when they weren't there. They had no subs, so that should have been out #3. However, the home team just skipped past that spot and knocked one run in when the inning should have already been over. She couldn't explain it, and the coach couldn't explain it.

I'll be honest, she mucked everything up so badly and it was so long after the fact, I had to leave it as it was. If it was batting out of order or an unreported sub, it was too late for the opposing team to do anything (appeal or protest), anyway.

I had a little "chat" with her afterward about whose job it is to give rulings on the field. I was ****ing pissed. :mad:

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
I've seen it happen.

I've never ejected a scorekeeper before

I've not personally ejected a scorekeeper but was on the bases when my partner ejected one. For some reason the scorekeeper was in the scorekeepers "box" behind the backstop but was a parent recruited for the job. Turns out she was the mother of one of the pitchers. I'm sure I don't need to relate what caused her to be ejected...but it was pretty damn funny.

League appointed. The other team knew they batted, the coach of that team came up to me and stated: "We didnt change the order after the guy batting #6 didn't show"