Any batting out of order

ureout

The Veteran
heres a play.....
bases loaded no outs, batter hits a grounder to the 3rd baseman who tags the bag (1out) then throws to 2nd for the 2nd out, B/R is safe at 1st.....runner on 3rd scores.....before the next batter comes up the defensive team manager goes to the umpire and claims that the batter on 1st batted out of order, which he did.....what do you have? the defense wanted the runner on 3rd who scored returned to 3rd, the double play called and then an out for the B/R on 1st for batting out of order therefore 3 outs no runs scored....I thought it should have been batter is out and return all runners and all play nullified....you now have 1out bases loaded and the next batter would be the player whose name follows that of the player called out for failing to bat???

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If it's ASA...

We keep all of the outs gained. The only exception to that is when the batter-runner (the person who batted out of order) is called out - we don't keep that one. Anyone who is not called out is returned to the base(s) last touched at the time of the pitch. The batter who was missed is the one called out, not the batter-runner.

So in your scenario, we'd keep the outs at third and second. The runner that scored is brought back to third base. The batter who missed his turn is called out for out #3, and we change sides.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
That's a big swing. Not saying it's not correct, but if you are the team at bat, you went from bases loaded, no one out, to well at least we scored a run to Oh ****! It's a "triple play" and nobody scored. Rally killer! I know it's not a real triple play, but it is 3 outs on one at bat.

LIKEUCM

NC is on the money. All outs remain out, with the exception of the batter runner, and all advances on the pay are nullified. The batter who should have batted is called out. In this play, the two outs stand, and the batter that failed to properly bat is called out for the third out. The runner that scored is returned to third base....or in this case....there is no need to put him back with three outs, so just declare that the runner does not score.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
That's a big swing. Not saying it's not correct, but if you are the team at bat, you went from bases loaded, no one out, to well at least we scored a run to Oh ****! It's a "triple play" and nobody scored. Rally killer! I know it's not a real triple play, but it is 3 outs on one at bat.

Back when ASA first went with keeping all the outs, I thought it would be rare to see something like that occur.

On the first game of the season with that rule, I'm working the plate. First batter of the game takes the first pitch to RF for a single. Next batter hits a ground ball and the defense turns a deuce. As I turn around to return to my position, the DC is waiting for me at the plate. He makes a appeal for BOO. Checked my line-up card and sure enough, the #4 batter just hit for the #2 batter who was just approaching the plate to bat. He wasn't happy to find out he was ruled out for failing to bat and the defense gets to keep the double play.

I was shocked. I just completed a half-inning with only 2 pitches and did it with no help of the shorthand rule or an ejection.

I was elated, the defense was elated, but the offense wasn't a group of happy campers :)

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Irish, what you posted contradicts what NC posted earlier in the thread. NC and UCM posted that you wouldn't keep the out on the B-R, which you would have to do to complete the inning in your scenario.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
He's talking about something that happened a good number of years ago. A couple of years ago, they changed it to where we no longer keep the out on the batter-runner.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
He's talking about something that happened a good number of years ago. A couple of years ago, they changed it to where we no longer keep the out on the batter-runner.

Which was one of the more ridiculous things ASA has done in this decade.