Been out of the loop - Good Balanced Bats

Been out of the game for a while and I know new stamps/rules are in place so......

what are the preferred balanced NSA/Utrip bats out there (especially for sweet spot size since I suck balls)? :)

What I used to like I cannot use anymore (CNT+, Booger, etc.)

basilray

Been off the grid for a while and joker hasnt changed a bit. lol
I'm surprised it took him that long to chime in...

But, I mean, he's not wrong. There's not much "secret sauce" out there among manufacturers. It becomes a question of break-in time vs durability rather than "best". Even that tends to be splitting hairs.

Better way to formulate the question is against your preferences:
-Handle stiffness
-Barrel length
-Brand allegiance

nickolie22

Addicted to Softballfans
I really liked last year's Connell. The FF to me felt to soft(feedback) on contact for my liking. Last year's baker was the goods too. Those can be had for cheaps. I've seemed to notice a lot of EL bats for 2018. After my Connells broke I went to the 17' Helmer, which broke, and now I swing a Branch. The branch is a short barrel .5 Oz EL tho. I'd swing the Connell over the Branch though.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
best is subjective. but non short barrel, no to slight handle flex, no brand allegiance
Miken with balanced and no 12, 23, or 30 in the name will get you what you need. Almost every bat out now has a bigger sweet spot and way more pop than what you remember. They break in super fast though so limit the bp.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
So what would be the balanced mikens that fit your description. Say ASA.. Would like to know as well.

Miken with balanced and no 12, 23, or 30 in the name will get you what you need. Almost every bat out now has a bigger sweet spot and way more pop than what you remember. They break in super fast though so limit the bp.
So of these three, which one do you prefer?

Sloth91

The DD3 won't disappoint either. It's well balanced and has a longer barrel

second that. miken/worth seem to be making the most durable bats still, whatever that word even means pertaining to softball in 2018. i've had 2 with over 200 game swings, all 44/400's and never failed, cracked or ended up with any rattles or wobbles

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
second that. miken/worth seem to be making the most durable bats still, whatever that word even means pertaining to softball in 2018. i've had 2 with over 200 game swings, all 44/400's and never failed, cracked or ended up with any rattles or wobbles
In 2018 it means 200 swings now equals durable when it would have been a joke three years ago.

Sloth91

In 2018 it means 200 swings now equals durable when it would have been a joke three years ago.

exactly my point lol. out of all the manufacturers, in my own experience, miken/worth seem to be making bats that last the longest. it might not actually be very long, but still longer than easton, demarini and louisville. again, just my own experience

trippy1313

Starting Player
200 swings means durable now???? On a team that shares bats that's what... one year of play?

My NRG600 lasted me like 9 years before my leagues finally adopted the Thumbprint rule and I had to stick it on a shelf.

Still probably hits better than any of my current bats.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
200 swings means durable now???? On a team that shares bats that's what... one year of play?

My NRG600 lasted me like 9 years before my leagues finally adopted the Thumbprint rule and I had to stick it on a shelf.

Still probably hits better than any of my current bats.

Unfortunately this is one of the reasons why bats have gotten to this point. Durable bats means less people buying new bats

Joker

don't share bats then

200 swings is 50 games assuming you get 4 ABs a game. when you can take the bat out of the wrapper before the game and have it perform close to peak. also these guys breaking bats in 200 swings are above average. your average player is going to get plenty of use out of bat

trippy1313

Starting Player
don't share bats then

200 swings is 50 games assuming you get 4 ABs a game. when you can take the bat out of the wrapper before the game and have it perform close to peak. also these guys breaking bats in 200 swings are above average. your average player is going to get plenty of use out of bat

Fair point. My team is too cheap to buy all their own bats, but we have two "team" bats, yet mine get used the most.

But we are an extremely average team (maybe belo?). Myself and 2 others are the only ones that can hit it 300+. Most of the guys are 55+ and never hit one out in their life. Except for one who finally did 5 years ago. Lol. I think with my NRG actually.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fair point. My team is too cheap to buy all their own bats, but we have two "team" bats, yet mine get used the most.

But we are an extremely average team (maybe belo?). Myself and 2 others are the only ones that can hit it 300+. Most of the guys are 55+ and never hit one out in their life. Except for one who finally did 5 years ago. Lol. I think with my NRG actually.
Most of today's dual stamps would be like your older utrip bats. It's just the top models that are fire out of the wrapper, and most of them fail compression long before they break.

That's what's really sad about this. Utrip adopted all these rules and stamps for "safety", and if your league or tournaments don't compression test youre using less safe equipment now by far.