Benefits of being a team sponsor...

I have a few people interested in sponsoring my softball team. I do t really know enough perks to sell them. Can anyone game me up on the perks/selling points to seal the deal? And how does the sponsorship/write off work? Can you write off all team expenses? What does that cap out at. I'm in California if that makes a difference... which I'm sure it will lol. Thanks in advance for your help.

swampdonkey1

Star Player
It all depends on what business the sponsor is in. Our league posts standings in the local paper every now and then and buys a big add in the paper thanking all the sponsors each year. If the business is a bar or restaurant then i'm sure they would like to have your team in at least at the start and finish of the season to recoop their sponsorship. Realtors are great sponsors because they can make their sponsorship back just by helping a buyer/seller close on 1 house. If you want to message me what type of business you have as a sponsor i can send you other ideas on how to land their sponsorship.

Venomous19

You could make them part of your team name(your team name/sponsor). You can follow them on social media and when ever they post, you can tag others in it so the name of the business is spread all over social media. If you get hoodies made, you can put them on your hoodies...kinda like a walking billboard. These were a few 'perks' my team went for. If it is a place that can be visited( restaurant, bar, etc.) weekly, bi- weekly or monthly team visits would be good too.

Last edited:

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
Benefits for the sponsor is mainly getting their name out there and earning some business one way or another. If you've got bars and restaurants, they want your team, friends, and family to come in and purchase items to make up for the cost of what they're paying. Other businesses want the referrals and work to come to them. The LD at one park here allows team sponsors to put a banner on the fence for additional advertising, so that business is getting seen by 100+ teams per week just by paying for a team fee. As for the sponsorship write-off, that's on them and their accountant. However, they could list it as an advertising expense and have a dollar for dollar write-off against their income to reduce their taxable earnings.

blakcherry329

I think, for the most part, sponsors sponsor because they love sports and have $$$. I don't think any sponsor is really expecting a big ROI for sponsoring a team. Just patronize whatever business(es) the sponsor owns and all should be good. If you have to sell a sponsor on your team, then he/she probably doesn't really want to.

just my .02, your .02 may vary:)

bndawgs

President-Elect
most write off the costs as advertising. if they aren't giving it to you, they're paying it to the IRS.